Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Cover Songs
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
nirvanapwns

Smashing Pumpkins Disarm cover

Any thoughts or recommendations to improve this one?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l312PSgves
Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

Ok, a few things:

-Sorry but the recording (not the song, I'll get to that in a minute) sounds like ass. What are you using to record the guitar and vocals, and are you doing any post production on the recording? Whatever you're using is making the guitar sound overly high-middy and it's hard to hear which chord, it all just just sounds like a "che che che" sound with no definition. The vocals sound washed out, either too much natural or added reverb.

-Playing-wise, I just can't tell because of the guitar sound, like I mentioned it sounds like chimey mush. I can't even make out the chords/notes.

-The singing was alright but you could use with some practice. Just sing along to your favorite songs and you'll start to get the hang of it. You seem to be almost or in tune on short words/phrases but when you hold a word your vocals seem to waver to a slightly nasal whine, not like Billy, more like you're having trouble sustaining the note so your tuning lowers.

-Just an added note, the "in the basement" denotation isn't necessary, it just sounds like you're playing some lame venue where only the artist showed up. Keep it simple and put your name first EX: "Steven Hydes - Disarm (Smashing Pumpkins cover)" or even forgo the cover part in the title and just put it in the description instead.

Overall, your recording and technique could use some work, but you can get on the right path if you work at it a bit. Don't worry about having the biggest and best thing though, if you have the right know-how you'll be able to make a recording sound good with even the cheapest gear. For an example, listen to the version of my song "Thylacine" in my sig that I recorded over the summer, I recorded Vocals/Guitar simultaniously into a rock band USB mic at the same time and everyone I've had listen to it thought it was a great recording. My band-leader even decided to put it as the last song of our album because he thought it sounded great. The Floyd the Barber, nirvana cover on my profile was multitracked with the same mic a few years earlier.

Take my criticism in a constructive tone, I don't mean any of it in a harsh way, just trying to help you out best I can.

Soundcloud

Last edited by tukk04 : 01-13-2013 at 07:14 PM.
tukk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
nirvanapwns

Thanks a lot tukk04, i'm just recording on a cheap camera with no post-production at all

and the in the basement thing is actually kind of part of my "artistic" name, and it's actually a reference to that 70's show by the way
Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

Ahh, ok. Didn't mean to impede you if that's your thing.

But yeah, you could benefit from using even a cheap USB mic, I just set it about 2 feet away and a little higher than even between my guitar and mouth to catch both with the vocals being slightly louder, it works well for acoustic.

Then put a cam on ya and sync the audio best you can. You could even make a "behind the scenes" video and show an uncut set from setup to take-down. Like a live broadcast, and then cut the videos down to individual songs/videos.

Soundcloud

Last edited by tukk04 : 01-13-2013 at 09:11 PM.
tukk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
nirvanapwns

thanks man, those are some really good ideas i was thinking of buying a cheap mixer and interface to get used to recording before buying a multitrack recorder

Rate This Thread: