Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #21
JustRooster
Organ Donor
 
JustRooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
https://soundcloud.com/justrooster/stormcrow-demo
https://soundcloud.com/justrooster/demo-for-aaron


Both of those are old recordings with a Strat and a low gain amp.

"I play metal fine on my strat."
__________________

SSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #22
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
https://soundcloud.com/justrooster/stormcrow-demo
https://soundcloud.com/justrooster/demo-for-aaron


Both of those are old recordings with a Strat and a low gain amp.

"I play metal fine on my strat."

freaking awesome, man. Reminds me of Queens of the Stone Age, which is one of my favorite bands.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #23
romeozdistress
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
sounds more like hard rock to me.
__________________
Ibanez VBT700
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Amplitude 3
Guitar Rig 5
Stanton T.62 Turntable
Presonus Audiobox USB
JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #24
brenthinds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I am very aware that iron maiden uses strats but about not playing in drop c with the fender standard strat, daron malakian does. The link below is him playing sugar in drop c with a fender strat with stock pickups.
__________________
1. Strap on some overalls
2. Arpeggio Seriousness
3. Lock Horns
4. Take a big fresh breath of air
5. Go Surfin'
6. Get high on fire
brenthinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #25
IronMark666
Registered User
 
IronMark666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Since the "Strats are fine for metal" argument is now being torn to shreds and as one of the people who said I play metal fine on a Strat, I would just like it noted for the record that I did point out that I only really play old school heavy metal in standard tuning on it and couldn't offer any credible advice beyond that.
__________________
Youtube
SoundCloud

Last edited by IronMark666 : 01-15-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: spelling
IronMark666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #26
JustRooster
Organ Donor
 
JustRooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Thanks for the feedback, dudes. That song Stormcrow was one that I recorded with a Strat like 4 years back specifically to prove the point that Strats can handle metal.

To the question of "can Strats handle metal?" Obviously they can. However, I don't think that's the question a lot of us should be asking, really. Dave hit it on the head perfectly earlier.

If you play mostly other stuff and dabble in Metal, then certainly a Strat will suit you greatly. If you're main focus is metal, however, you would probably be better set with another more oriented guitar. A BMW M3 is a good all around sports car, but if you're only interested in Drag Racing, you might want to get a beefier sports car. The M3 will drag well with skill and tweaking, but it won't be as easy to do as with some American Muscle.

Of course, there are TONS of drag racing arguments to be had, but I'm just illustrating a point. If you're playing 95% metal, yeah, a Strat will work, but something else would be more conducive to your style. If you're playing a bit of everything and some metal, then a Strat might be your best bet.




My biggest pet peeve with these arguments is this. No, an HSS Strat is NOT MORE versatile. It's just versatile in different styles. It doesn't add more tones, just different ones. I hate when people say the HSS is MORE than an SSS.
__________________

SSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #27
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
 
ihartfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
i think metal is a very general term.

rooster your recordings are pretty cool but that's not really the sub genre of metal that TS is in to.

"strats can handle metal"
what does this mean? it sure can't mean that you'll nail a metallica tone with a MiM strat

if you were playing stoner metal, or sabbath or something a strat might work.

whatever. it's very general.
__________________
My Rig
Like Telecasters?
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:05 AM   #28
Clay-man
Say no to saying no
 
Clay-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
another very valid point. I don't like to generalise too much, but it seems to me that a fairly significant percentage of those who claim strats (or teles, or whatever) are absolutely fine for metal *don't actually play all that much metal*. Which explains a lot, if you ask me. I'd be the first to admit that you probably shouldn't listen to my opinions regarding what makes for a good blues tone, or a good jazz tone, or a good grunge tone... but that cuts both ways.


I really don't get what's with the brickwall of nay-saying, as if it's totally non subjective.
It depends on if their tone compliments their playing correctly. I can't say that it's going to cover the general perfect metal tone for modern stuff, but that could be said about any guitar if it simply doesn't give what you're looking for.

I'm not standing by strats or anything, I'm just saying that saying they're "shit for metal" is ignorant.

Like people said, Iron Maiden have used strats and I think that tone is just fine, so what's the big deal?
Clay-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:37 AM   #29
romeozdistress
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthinds
I am very aware that iron maiden uses strats but about not playing in drop c with the fender standard strat, daron malakian does. The link below is him playing sugar in drop c with a fender strat with stock pickups.


how do you know if its stock or not? those could easily be active pickups. plus he is obviously playing through a hi gain amp.
__________________
Ibanez VBT700
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Amplitude 3
Guitar Rig 5
Stanton T.62 Turntable
Presonus Audiobox USB
JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors

Last edited by romeozdistress : 01-15-2013 at 04:43 AM.
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #30
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeozdistress
how do you know if its stock or not? those could easily be active pickups. plus he is obviously playing through a hi gain amp.


I don't think this is the point. We're not talking about amps, we're asking if the guitar is viable for metal. The pickups can be changed but the neck radius, amount of frets, etc can't be changed, the very things that make a guitar good for shredding and tapping over another.

Yngwie Malmsteen seems to have done absolutely fine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.



Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-15-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #31
Hooker84
Registered User
 
Hooker84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeozdistress
its really mostly amp. on high gain amps you can get brutal with fender single coils.

True!!!
__________________
Dario Hooker Di Marco
Hooker84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #32
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar
 
Boonnoo666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
To be fair the Squier Strat I have is actually alright for Metal. (I play 80s classic/thrash Metal) But yeah. As others have stated, it depends on what feel you want. And tone isn't terrible, it's just not the best.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #33
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Me too. I dabble in the blues, but I would not consider myself knowledgeable enough about it to give advice on the matter.

I also find it funny when people are quick to say "I play metal fine on my strat" when they haven't even defined what they play at all. Anyone can chunk out some power chords in Drop D/C on any guitar with high gain and sound metal. But when you start getting into things like 8-finger tapping and sweep tapping, having things like low action and 24 frets suddenly make things a helluva lot more easy!


yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMark666
Since the "Strats are fine for metal" argument is now being torn to shreds and as one of the people who said I play metal fine on a Strat, I would just like it noted for the record that I did point out that I only really play old school heavy metal in standard tuning on it and couldn't offer any credible advice beyond that.


no worries, your original post was absolutely fine, if you ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
Thanks for the feedback, dudes. That song Stormcrow was one that I recorded with a Strat like 4 years back specifically to prove the point that Strats can handle metal.

To the question of "can Strats handle metal?" Obviously they can. However, I don't think that's the question a lot of us should be asking, really. Dave hit it on the head perfectly earlier.

If you play mostly other stuff and dabble in Metal, then certainly a Strat will suit you greatly. If you're main focus is metal, however, you would probably be better set with another more oriented guitar. A BMW M3 is a good all around sports car, but if you're only interested in Drag Racing, you might want to get a beefier sports car. The M3 will drag well with skill and tweaking, but it won't be as easy to do as with some American Muscle.

Of course, there are TONS of drag racing arguments to be had, but I'm just illustrating a point. If you're playing 95% metal, yeah, a Strat will work, but something else would be more conducive to your style. If you're playing a bit of everything and some metal, then a Strat might be your best bet.




My biggest pet peeve with these arguments is this. No, an HSS Strat is NOT MORE versatile. It's just versatile in different styles. It doesn't add more tones, just different ones. I hate when people say the HSS is MORE than an SSS.


(nice clips by the way)

regarding the HSS versus SSS thing- it really depends on what you mean by versatility. If you need both humbucker and single coil tones, it's more versatile (and i'd argue that that's probably what most people mean by versatility- but not necessarily so); if you need more stratty tones, then SSS is.

I agree, in other words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay-man
(a) I really don't get what's with the brickwall of nay-saying, as if it's totally non subjective.
It depends on if their tone compliments their playing correctly. I can't say that it's going to cover the general perfect metal tone for modern stuff, but that could be said about any guitar if it simply doesn't give what you're looking for.

(b) I'm not standing by strats or anything, I'm just saying that saying they're "shit for metal" is ignorant.

(c) Like people said, Iron Maiden have used strats and I think that tone is just fine, so what's the big deal?


(a) that's precisely my point, that it *is* subjective. But if people who mainly play a certain genre are all (or mostly all) saying the same thing, maybe their opinion is right. That's what I'm saying. I wouldn't listen to a non-cricketer's opinion as to what the best cricket bat is, for example. that'd be crazy. It's still fairly subjective, I imagine, but "subjective" doesn't mean that everyone's opinion is equally valid, either.

(b) I'm saying that saying that a (vintage spec! that distinction is important) strat is absolutely fine for metal is ignorant, too. there's a big difference between "will do at a pinch" and "is good at".

(c) iron maiden doesn't use vintage spec strats. Not normally, anyway, and not on most of their classic records, far as i'm aware.

...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
I don't think this is the point. We're not talking about amps, we're asking if the guitar is viable for metal. The pickups can be changed but the neck radius, amount of frets, etc can't be changed, the very things that make a guitar good for shredding and tapping over another.

Yngwie Malmsteen seems to have done absolutely fine.


malmsteen's a total badass, though. the rest of us (or me, anyway, i don't like to speak for others or put words in their mouth) can use all the help we can get
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
I had a Blackstar. I felt like I was lied to by Chappers, that fat ****.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #34
LP1951
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nashville
A HSS coil tap SS is much more versatile than a standard Strat.
__________________
“You’re always learning about this thing every time you pick it up.” Keith Richards
LP1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #35
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Rooster, that's some awesome stuff you've got there.

More Kyuss than Queens in my opinion, but I love both so it's all good!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #36
monwobobbo
Registered User
 
monwobobbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: scottsville ny
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP1951
+1

The question is Why try to use a standard strat when there are so many SuperStrat options available?


hmmm.... well lets see just ask jeff beck what can be done with a non locking fender trem and get back to me. trem use isn't all about dive bombs ya know. a well setup fender style trem will stay in tune. ok i admit that if you want to go all apeshit crazy with it then probably not but otherwise they do work. van halen and hendrix both managed to write the book on trem use without a floyd.

dave i play 70s and 80s metal and hard rock as well and my strats work fine for most of it. my Ultra 212 has anb active eq for the distortion channels and you'd be amazed at what kind of sounds can come out of strat using this. of course to each his own.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #37
LP1951
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nashville
^That really doesn't answer the question. The point is that there are SuperStrats that will do everything that a standard Strat can do and do metal much better.
__________________
“You’re always learning about this thing every time you pick it up.” Keith Richards
LP1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #38
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Because a Strat is iconic, more so than any Super Strat. As cool as they are, they don't have the Hendrix, Clapton, Gilmour, Malmsteen, Beck, Eric Johnson factor.

Plus the tone, man. The tone.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #39
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
It's impossible to play metal on a Strat. I tried it once, cost me a visit to the ER and 7 stitches. Never again...
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #40
monwobobbo
Registered User
 
monwobobbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: scottsville ny
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP1951
^That really doesn't answer the question. The point is that there are SuperStrats that will do everything that a standard Strat can do and do metal much better.


"metal" is way to generic a term to make a blanket statement with. back in 72 Deep Purple was metal and ritchie was rocking a strat seemed to work for him. for that matter keep in mind that if not for a failed pickup tony iommi was going to use a strat for the first sabbath album.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.