Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
shark131

Questions regarding the song 'Pretty woman". Key/Scale

So I am learning about keys/scales/etc and I came across this song and it doesn't make sense to me. So Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison starts off in A major (A, F#m, D, E), but then for the bridge or whatever he changes to C Major (C, Dm, G, Am). Could someone explain to me the reasoning behind the change in key.

I do have a difficult time grasping all the concepts and everything. Maybe I am just under the assumption that a song should stay in one key the entire time, but I am obviously wrong. I don't know what is proper and what isn't, and what is right and what is wrong in music.

Thank you for your time.
shark131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

if a song doesn't change key, it can get really boring, unless the composer/artist knows how to use things like melodic and rhythmic variation, motivic/thematic content, etc. -- things to keep the listener's interest.

a key change can change the entire feel of a song. i don't think anybody would argue against that.

as for the reasoning? simple -- he changed key because he wanted to. he wanted to effect that change in feel.

don't worry about what's proper and what isn't, what is right and what is wrong. music theory is so powerful that anything that sounds good can be justified. anything that sounds bad can also be justified. anything that sounds at all can be justified.

it's just a matter of how you perceive it. aim to study and utilize what sounds good to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elintasokas
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
i smell a theme.
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
shark131

Ok, that makes sense, thank you.
shark131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark131
So I am learning about keys/scales/etc and I came across this song and it doesn't make sense to me. So Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison starts off in A major (A, F#m, D, E), but then for the bridge or whatever he changes to C Major (C, Dm, G, Am). Could someone explain to me the reasoning behind the change in key.

I do have a difficult time grasping all the concepts and everything. Maybe I am just under the assumption that a song should stay in one key the entire time, but I am obviously wrong. I don't know what is proper and what isn't, and what is right and what is wrong in music.

Do this:

Play the song, but transpose the bride into A major - so it's A, Bm E, F#m. Obviously you'll have to sing it differently, too.

Listen to how the transposition changes things. Notice how it makes you feel.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
don't worry about what's proper and what isn't, what is right and what is wrong. music theory is so powerful that anything that sounds good can be justified. anything that sounds bad can also be justified. anything that sounds at all can be justified.

whoa
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: