Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
Alphaform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fixing Fretting-Out?

My strat is fretting out on whole step bends on the 1st string. I'm wondering how I can resolve this. My local tech said he cant do anything.If there is something i can do i will find a new tech!

Thanks

Last edited by Alphaform : 01-16-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Alphaform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Find a new tech. And raise your action.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
+1

you shouldn't be fretting out on whole step bends with 9.5" radius.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
Alphaform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Hmmm, shame. I'll talk to him again.

What are the options of fixing it, cause I don't think the action is too low. Plus it's very comfortable at where it is and bends are easy.
Alphaform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
nicholasnash123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
you failed the devil
nicholasnash123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaform
Hmmm, shame. I'll talk to him again.

What are the options of fixing it, cause I don't think the action is too low. Plus it's very comfortable at where it is and bends are easy.

Sounds to me like it's too low. But I don't know where it actually is, so I can only go by what you told me.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
Alphaform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Sounds to me like it's too low. But I don't know where it actually is, so I can only go by what you told me.


12th fret and above on only the 1st string.
Alphaform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaform
12th fret and above on only the 1st string.

I don't mean which fret, I mean how high is the action.

Also, i hope you don't intend to go back to that same tech.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
Alphaform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
It's a shame because my next closest tech seems to be about 1.5 hours away

Last edited by Alphaform : 01-16-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Alphaform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #10
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaform
It's a shame because my next closest tech seems to be about 1.5 hours away, and this one is only 10 minutes. Maybe you guys could help me find one? In the Gippsland/Latrobe Valley region of Victoria, Australia

Stop using a tech. Watch some youtube vidoes on setting up a strat. It's not hard at all.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #11
Alphaform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Well can you point me in the right direction for a tutorial on how to fix the problem I'm having right now?
Alphaform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #12
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA


But don't just watch that video, watch every setup video you can. There are some good ones on youtube by various luthiers.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #13
Alphaform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Alright so my problem is due to action being too low? I just don't like setting up guitars myself cause I'm scared I'll make a mess of a $1500 guitar lol.
Alphaform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #14
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaform
Alright so my problem is due to action being too low? I just don't like setting up guitars myself cause I'm scared I'll make a mess of a $1500 guitar lol.

The worst you can do is give it a poor setup. Just use common sense. You've been handing your $1500 guitar over to someone that didn't know what they were doing anyway
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!
 
FatalGear41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saturn's Rings
Fretting out is a royal pain in the ass, and there are a couple of causes for it. Most people go right for the bridge saddle height, but in my experience this usually is not the culprit unless you play with a super-low action. No, the most common cause of fretting out is that the guitar needs a minor - and I do mean minor - tweak of the truss rod. About 1/4 turn will often fix the problem. Have a good tech check your neck bow and look for any neck twist. It is a quick and easy fix.

Now, some guitars fret out because of a poorly designed bridge. My '52 Reissue Telecaster used to fret out like a son of a bitch. I swapped the three-saddle bridge for the six-saddle one, but no luck. I went over the neck with a fine-toothed comb, but there were no problems. So I swapped out the "vintage" style bridge for a modern telecaster bridge and the problem disappeared immediately. Not only that, but the guitar plays better than it ever did. "Vintage" isn't always better.

Since Strat bridges usually don't cause such problems, I'll bet you need a little adjustment of the truss rod. As I said, have that looked at before you drive yourself mad with unnecessary bridge adjustments that will take a great deal of time and effort to undo.

Good luck!
__________________
"It's only Rock and Roll until someone loses an eye!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Fretting out is a royal pain in the ass, and there are a couple of causes for it. Most people go right for the bridge saddle height, but in my experience this usually is not the culprit unless you play with a super-low action. No, the most common cause of fretting out is that the guitar needs a minor - and I do mean minor - tweak of the truss rod. About 1/4 turn will often fix the problem. Have a good tech check your neck bow and look for any neck twist. It is a quick and easy fix.

Now, some guitars fret out because of a poorly designed bridge. My '52 Reissue Telecaster used to fret out like a son of a bitch. I swapped the three-saddle bridge for the six-saddle one, but no luck. I went over the neck with a fine-toothed comb, but there were no problems. So I swapped out the "vintage" style bridge for a modern telecaster bridge and the problem disappeared immediately. Not only that, but the guitar plays better than it ever did. "Vintage" isn't always better.

Since Strat bridges usually don't cause such problems, I'll bet you need a little adjustment of the truss rod. As I said, have that looked at before you drive yourself mad with unnecessary bridge adjustments that will take a great deal of time and effort to undo.

Good luck!

You're adjusting your action with your truss rod, that's why that fixes it. But that is a no-no. You should never used the truss rod to adjust the action. You should adjust the truss rod to where it should be and then adjust the saddle height. If your bends fret out and the truss rod is adjusted within the ideal specs, then it's definitely an issue with the string height. You should never adjust your truss rod to fix an action issue!

Sorry man, but you've been doing it all wrong.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #17
BigSmokeDawg
Yes We Nyan!
 
BigSmokeDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Sorry for derailing a bit, but could somebody explain what fretting out is? I've never heard of that term before.
__________________
Gear
Fender Mustang Pawn Shop Special
Blackstar HT-5R Stack
Line 6 UX2
Squier Jazz Bass
Guitar Covers - DaBigSmokeDawg
Recordings, demos and songs - www.soundcloud.com/bsmoked
BigSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #18
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!
 
FatalGear41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saturn's Rings
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
You're adjusting your action with your truss rod, that's why that fixes it. But that is a no-no. You should never used the truss rod to adjust the action. You should adjust the truss rod to where it should be and then adjust the saddle height. If your bends fret out and the truss rod is adjusted within the ideal specs, then it's definitely an issue with the string height. You should never adjust your truss rod to fix an action issue!

Sorry man, but you've been doing it all wrong.


Actually, no. The truss rod adjustment corrects a twist in the neck; not an issue with string height. Since the problem (in the cases I've had with my guitars) could not be fixed with an action adjustment - one tech suggested that I shim the neck of one guitar to fix the problem - but was corrected with a truss rod adjustment, it was a neck twist. The string height was fine. I agree with you that adding bow to the neck to change the action is a bad idea, but if you've got a twist in your neck, raising the strings to an unplayable height is not going to solve the problem.

The easiest way to tell is if the "fretting out" is a new issue with your guitar. If it didn't fret out previously, then something has changed. Since the string action does not raise or lower by itself - but your neck can twist by itself thanks to weather conditions - that should indicate a problem with neck twist.

Too many people think that everything from fretting out to string buzz is automatically an issue of string height at the bridge, but since I've run into the problem with the occasional fixed-bridge guitar, I know that the action did not shift.
__________________
"It's only Rock and Roll until someone loses an eye!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #19
JoeFlips
✯✯✯
 
JoeFlips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmokeDawg
Sorry for derailing a bit, but could somebody explain what fretting out is? I've never heard of that term before.

Its when you bend a note and it just goes silent, and doesn't ring out like it should.
__________________
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Gibson SG Special w/ SD 59's
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
JoeFlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!
 
FatalGear41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saturn's Rings
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmokeDawg
Sorry for derailing a bit, but could somebody explain what fretting out is? I've never heard of that term before.


By and large, it is when you bend a note (usually a lot, rather than a little) and the string on which you are playing ends up pressing against one or more of the frets further down the neck, thereby causing the note to stop sounding. You run into this more often on "vintage" guitars with very rounded (by today's standards) fretboard radiuses. It is an absolutely annoying-as-hell phenomenon.
__________________
"It's only Rock and Roll until someone loses an eye!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.