User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #21
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Actually, no. The truss rod adjustment corrects a twist in the neck; not an issue with string height. Since the problem (in the cases I've had with my guitars) could not be fixed with an action adjustment - one tech suggested that I shim the neck of one guitar to fix the problem - but was corrected with a truss rod adjustment, it was a neck twist. The string height was fine. I agree with you that adding bow to the neck to change the action is a bad idea, but if you've got a twist in your neck, raising the strings to an unplayable height is not going to solve the problem.

The easiest way to tell is if the "fretting out" is a new issue with your guitar. If it didn't fret out previously, then something has changed. Since the string action does not raise or lower by itself - but your neck can twist by itself thanks to weather conditions - that should indicate a problem with neck twist.

Too many people think that everything from fretting out to string buzz is automatically an issue of string height at the bridge, but since I've run into the problem with the occasional fixed-bridge guitar, I know that the action did not shift.

A neck twist is not fixable with a truss rod adjustment. A neck twist is warping, not a bow. The truss rod can't fix a neck twist as it only controls the bow.

Also, a neck is more likely to bow due to weather than to twist(thank god). I'm not sure if you are talking about an actual neck twist, or just a typical neck bow? Can you please clarify that that for me?
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: