Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
MeTAL SOLDIER
Itīs a dog...

Arrow Looking for a new amp

hey people!! what amp? thread coming to you! (i promise to give all the info)

So i've been playing guitar for around 5 years now and im looking to enter the tube amp world im looking for a good tube amp (head)

My budget its around 2k but its flexible

I play thrash metal mostly (metallica megadeth etc)
but i want an amp that has the ability to go from some guns n roses hard rock all the way to a kill em all sound also with good cleans with more than one channel and a FX loop

id would be awesome to get it new but i can go for used

I want the amp for gigging and maybe some practice sessions

im form Eagle pass Tx the closest city with more guitar stuff would be San Antonio

my gear:
Line 6 spider IV 75W (yeah i know)
Ltd Ex 50
Dean Black Bolt Fr
Ltd Ec 1000 (in process of being acquired)

Last edited by MeTAL SOLDIER : 01-10-2013 at 12:15 AM.
MeTAL SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i don't really think you will be able to find everything, metallica recorded some of their earilier stuff with Mesa MKiii's or MKiii's, don't remember which though.

if you are wanting a marshally thrash sound Splawn Quickrods are hard to beat. IMO considering price marshall has never put out anything high gain wise as Splawn. you can pickup a quick rod for around a $1k, i have two other splawns, one being pretty similar (promod KT88's and nitro, also with KT88's, the Quickrod has EL34's.

another thing would be a Mesa MKIV i have owned one for six months and love it. with the right OD you can get quite a bit of it, also with the global 5 band active EQ that is foot-switchable. around $1K too.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i don't really think you will be able to find everything, metallica recorded some of their earilier stuff with Mesa MKiii's or MKiii's, don't remember which though.

if you are wanting a marshally thrash sound Splawn Quickrods are hard to beat. IMO considering price marshall has never put out anything high gain wise as Splawn. you can pickup a quick rod for around a $1k, i have two other splawns, one being pretty similar (promod KT88's and nitro, also with KT88's, the Quickrod has EL34's.

another thing would be a Mesa MKIV i have owned one for six months and love it. with the right OD you can get quite a bit of it, also with the global 5 band active EQ that is foot-switchable. around $1K too.

Kill'em all was recorded with a marshall.

Splawn would be a great suggestion. VHT as well.

2 channel JCM800. Something marshall other than JCM900. Hell even a DSL50 or 100 would work. Your budget is higher though.

Last edited by R45VT : 01-10-2013 at 02:30 AM.
R45VT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Kill'em all was recorded with a marshall.

Splawn would be a great suggestion.

i do know that at least one album was on a mark. i just searched and found out master of puppets was on a MK2C.

but i would still go splawn. i love the two i have.

ask 311, he has a QR and i discovered splawn through his posts two or three years ago.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Puppets was a MKIIC+.

Kill'em all was Marshall modified plexi. Can't remember what "ride" was recorded with.

With his budget I would go something other than marshall. Bogner/Splawn are hot rodded marshalls. I would go that direction.

Last edited by R45VT : 01-10-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:46 AM   #6
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Puppets was a MKIIC+.

Kill'em all was Marshall modified plexi. Can't remember what "ride" was recorded with.

With his budget I would go something other than marshall. Bogner/Splawn are hot rodded marshalls. I would go that direction.

splawn all the way IMO you certainly wouldn't get better for the money.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #7
Dazzl1113

Mesa Boogie Mark V - new at $2K might be tough, certainly almost new/used you can get them for $1800-$2000. Three channels, 9 different amps, great clean, has the mark i, mark IIC+ and Mark IV circuit. It is a phenomenal amp.
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Dazzl1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
saberrocks
SaberMaidenfan

Kirk Hammett has his own signature Randall halfstack for around 700 bucks.

Maybe you can look into some Bugera amps? I'm looking to buy some myself too, especially the 333 and 6262 are interesting. Very cheap but really great tone!

Here is a video of Ola Englund playing through a Bugera 6262, I think it's awesome.

Last edited by saberrocks : 01-10-2013 at 06:51 AM.
saberrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
Axle1

Quote:
splawn all the way IMO you certainly wouldn't get better for the money.

+1, Splawn kick ass, it would suite your needs. Other amps recommended are all great, but the splawns are a whole new league.
Axle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberrocks
Kirk Hammett has his own signature Randall halfstack for around 700 bucks.

Maybe you can look into some Bugera amps? I'm looking to buy some myself too, especially the 333 and 6262 are interesting. Very cheap but really great tone!

Here is a video of Ola Englund playing through a Bugera 6262, I think it's awesome.

the kirk hammet is totally solid state. that may not be a down point for everybody, as randall has made some good SS amps, RG100ES, Century 200, and the warhead being a few, dime used them, i have owned a few, they sound a lot better than dime's tone, but none of it would be what he is looking for IMO.

if you have $2k as a budget, why would anybody go bugera? they are realistically copies of different amps (Peavey 6505 = Bugera 6262, Peavey XXX = bugera 333).

most people also consider bugera highly unreliable, myself included. they use shitty components, manufactured poorly and have a high failure rate.

for a while they even smoked and got way too hot, and stuff melted.

SPLAWN KT88 PROMOD
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 01-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
MeTAL SOLDIER
Itīs a dog...

Quote:
the kirk hammet is totally solid state. that may not be a down point for everybody, as randall has made some good SS amps, RG100ES, Century 200, and the warhead being a few, dime used them, i have owned a few, they sound a lot better than dime's tone, but none of it would be what he is looking for IMO.

Whats the difference between a SS amp and a modeling amp?

i thought they were the same think
Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
|Long|
String Theory

You could look into the Egnater amps.

Tweaker 40 has two channels and Fender/Vox/Marshall sounds
Renegade and Vengeance can do harder stuff.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
The Neighbor of the Beast

667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #14
DarthV

If you want the vintage Metallica sound, go with a splawn. Dazzl1113, don't think anyone would argue against how awesome the Mark V (or IV) is, but it's way too modern sounding for early Metallica or GnR. If he were looking for MoP & Justice, then it'd be perfect!
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #15
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTAL SOLDIER
Whats the difference between a SS amp and a modeling amp?

i thought they were the same think

solid state means gain is from transistors (i think op amps too).

modeling in the amp world basically involves some kind of 'computer' in the amp to give it different tones.

for sample, the peavey bandit is solid state, (very loosely used means no tubes)

a peavey JSX is tube

and for example a line 6 spider is a modeler (digital).

a vypyr tube (only the 60 and 120) would have both and mean its a hybrid (tubes and solicstate (and modeling). when tubes are used with solid state components it is referred to as a hybrid.

just some examples. i don't know a ton about SS gear, most of my amps are tubes, and i have never tried to fix a SS amp.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 01-12-2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: more clarity
Old 01-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #16
MeTAL SOLDIER
Itīs a dog...

Does anybody know if the Quick Rod can be controlled via the TC Electronics G System??

where can i get this type of info?

Tc's website doesn't say much
Old 01-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Any amp with a footswitch jack can be controlled with any MFX with MIDI if you have an Amp Gizmo.

Besides that, to the extent of my knowledge the Boss GT8/10/100 is the only MFX that can control an amp with a 1/4" footswitch jack on it's own. Some of the Digitech RPs might have the same functionality, but I don't believe so.

Other than that you need an amp that has built in MIDI capabilities, like the Marshall JVM. Very few amps have that though.

So besides those two options, you're going to need something in between to translate, a la Mini Amp Gizmo.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 01-12-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:31 AM   #18
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I recommend one of the following:

Splawn Quickrod
Egnater Vengeance
EVH 5150 III Mini (The 50w version)
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Royal Atlantic

The Splawn is going to do Marshall better than Marshall does Marshall. One thing to keep in mind with these, though, is that they are very unforgiving, meaning that every tiny mistake you make will be heard loud and clear. Now, if you're an excellent player, then that's only a good thing, but some people actually dislike Splawn because of how clear they sound

I have the Egnater, and GNR is my favorite band. It'll easily nail that classic Marshall sound. In addition, I'm a big Thrash fan in general, and Metallica is no problem for this beast. The only thing to keep in mind on this one is it's got a darker voicing, which some people don't like. With the right tubes, though, it'll brighten up, and your speaker will make a huge difference, too.

If the Vengeance is too Dark for you, or if the Cleans aren't quite to your taste, the 5153 is basically it's counterpart with a different voicing. It's brighter and has a different flavor of cleans.

The Mark IV will do just about anything, too. It's got plenty of voicings to choose from and the Graphic EQ is a nice feature, too. Some people say the cleans are a bit lacking, but I don't know from experience, as I've never tried the cleans on this amp. I would say that this one might be a little too American-Voiced for the tones you're looking for, though. It will certainly get close, though.

The Royal Atlantic is basically Mesa's idea of a Marshall. It's a great amp with great tone, although if you're going for this, I would probably just get the Splawn. It's another option, though.

With any of these, I recommend grabbing a boost pedal to really nail that early Metallica tone. Those guys used Marshall JCM800's with a boost out front to get some extra gain and tightness.

One issue you might have, though, is speakers. Slash uses Celestion Vintage 30's and Metallica used Celestion G12T-75's, which are pretty different speakers. The V30's have a mid spike in the upper-mids, which can sound a bit bright and even harsh with some amps or to some people, and the T75's have a scooped midrange and can sound a bit thin or lacking with some amps. Your best bet might be to mic the two, although I'm not positive on how that would sound. I don't know of anyone that really does that.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #19
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

^^ V30's suck. I hate them. Too harsh.

The cleans on the mark IV are just fine. Will spank most amps.

For what he is after and his budget the Splawn is the route I would go. The early metalica records were modded marshalls with ODs up front. KH used a DS1.

RA is a bad ass little amp. I plated one for 20 minutes. Picked up a mark V over it as it was suited to my needs better.

The Mark series and Splawn are not very forgiving as blktger said- this will actually help you improve your playing IMO.

5153 isn't voiced for what he is after.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 AM   #20
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I think the 5153 would do fine. I mean, Van Halen and GNR are similar guitar tones, IMO, and the 5153 will do Metal just fine. Metallica would be the only one it might not be voiced right for, but I mostly suggested it in case the Vengeance was too dark.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: