Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Tylander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
I can't decide!

Greetings UG'ers. As everyone knows, its tax return season. I'm getting back more then I thought I would. And I'm FINALLY buying a tube amp. I've been looking on ebay and reading reviews all day. What I cant decide is which one to get. So, im getting a little over $1,100. Buying used. Some new if cheap enough. Ive been looking at Peaveys.XXX, ultra, jsx, 5150. Bugera 6262/333xl. Ive seen mesas all three single, dual, and triple rectifiers for under a grand. I also want an od pedal to go with it. I play metal. Already have a solid state half stack. All these ive read are fantastic metal amps. Id love a mesa. But, at the same time,if the others are just as good, why not save money and go cheaper? Ultimately I know the decision is mine. I just would like a little input. Thank you kindly. \m/
.
Tylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner
 
gumbilicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: on the road... again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylander
Greetings UG'ers. As everyone knows, its tax return season. I'm getting back more then I thought I would. And I'm FINALLY buying a tube amp. I've been looking on ebay and reading reviews all day.

What I cant decide is which one to get. So, im getting a little over $1,100. Buying used. Some new if cheap enough. Ive been looking at Peaveys.XXX, ultra, jsx, 5150. Bugera 6262/333xl. Ive seen mesas all three single, dual, and triple rectifiers for under a grand. I also want an od pedal to go with it.

I play metal. Already have a solid state half stack. All these ive read are fantastic metal amps. Id love a mesa. But, at the same time,if the others are just as good, why not save money and go cheaper? Ultimately I know the decision is mine. I just would like a little input. Thank you kindly. \m/
.


sorry, had to break that up so it'd be easier to read.

the cool thing about your amp list is you can play most of those amps at stores. try them out, compare them, and then you'll know if it is worth it.

personally, i buy a bunch of used amps because i know a good tech.

for what you are into, i'd probably just recommend a 6505 or a mesa as you can get good deals on those and they are fairly easy to find.
__________________
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
ikey_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
if its for home use, baron snott watt and a good cab. your search is over.
__________________
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Egnater Tweaker 40 Avatar vertical 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
ragingkitty
meow?
 
ragingkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
If you have fire insurance at home... and don't mind the possible risk of having to put up at a hotel when your house burns down.

http://www.samash.com/p/Bugera_Magi...20Amp_-49945704

http://www.samash.com/p/Bugera_Trir... ead_-49945529
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
ecvMatt
clamper
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Inverness, Ca
You've done taxes already??? That's fast, I haven't even got most of my statements yet.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
ecvMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
Tylander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
If you have fire insurance at home... and don't mind the possible risk of having to put up at a hotel when your house burns down.

http://www.samash.com/p/Bugera_Magi...20Amp_-49945704

http://www.samash.com/p/Bugera_Trir... ead_-49945529


The new ones still catch fire?
Tylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
emerald876
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylander
The new ones still catch fire?


No, but people base their opinions on an amp based on what happened in the past. You never really hear about anything like the melting connector on the newer models, because they fixed those issues.

I personally wouldn't go with a Bugera, but was considering it for the longest time.
__________________
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
emerald876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
 
Charvel1995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: London, ON
What kind of metal are you playing.

You can get killer NWOBHM/Glam/80's tones out of a JSX, but you won't be getting 6505 tones, unless you boost it and eq it really well.

The JSX is more versatile than the 6505 in my experience.
__________________
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
Tylander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charvel1995
What kind of metal are you playing.

You can get killer NWOBHM/Glam/80's tones out of a JSX, but you won't be getting 6505 tones, unless you boost it and eq it really well.

The JSX is more versatile than the 6505 in my experience.


I don't play 80's metal. Although I love the music. I like Children of bodom, Scar Symmetry, As I Lay dying, Pantera, Texas in July, August Burns Red, Iced Earth. Bands like that. I'd like to get a 7 string at one point. Although, I don't really listen to music that's that heavy.
Tylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #10
ragingkitty
meow?
 
ragingkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald876
No, but people base their opinions on an amp based on what happened in the past. You never really hear about anything like the melting connector on the newer models, because they fixed those issues.

I personally wouldn't go with a Bugera, but was considering it for the longest time.


Yeah, you don't actually hear about it anymore... and any that do "catch fire" are probably ones that slipped the QC process.

Still, its hard to not remind someone of their epic failures... like "leaping off the roof and landing in the bushes instead of pool", or "pissing onto an electrical fence". Its a stigma that will remain with the brand for a long time to come.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.