Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #81
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
God dude that sounds like a bad time. I feel that way about our band's 1st guitarist, the third one and I are very tone conscious, the first guy has the mids scooped all the way on a spider III on the insane channel. I'm just sitting over here with my 2x12 combo drowning him out and he's running at double my wattage . seriously he has a 150 watt spider III head going into a 4x12, and I was drowning him out with a 60 watt 2x12 combo. For a while he was trying to run a noise pissing contest with me, he was dimed and I was at 6, it was pretty funny. Wouldn't you think that you were in a band for a full summer doing paying gigs where you can get a good $150 for yourself, that you'd buy something nice and tubey?

There's no shame in not emptying your stash mang, at least you kept the bottle nice and pretty . You got any good whiskey/bourbon you'd recommend?

See, our other guitarist uses a Mesa Rectoverb, but he scoops his mids and dimes his gain. Then, he uses his neck pickup more often than not. He's playing an Epiphone Special II SG. His family is loaded, but he won't pull the trigger on a new guitar because he's indecisive. He won't upgrade that one because he would rather have a new one. Overall, his tone is total shit. It makes zero sense, too, considering he's a self-proclaimed "blues guitarist" and he scoops his mids almost completely and almost maxes his gain.

These are the settings he uses:
Presence: 3:30
Bass: 11:00
Mids: 8:00
Treble: 2:45
Gain: 2:30
Modern setting

For reference, 7:00 is zero and 5:00 is 10. He used to set his gain higher, but cut it down recently.

He's using stock Mesa tubes, and will probably blindly buy those again, because he's going to ask the guys at his local guitar store, which is a huge Mesa dealer, and they'll tell him that or some other re-brand company. He refuses to take any advice I give him.

He plays with his solo boost on until he doesn't want to be heard. It's funny, because he'll set his volume during soundcheck without the boost, then turns it on when we play in an attempt to drown me out.

I cut through him like butter. I can tell he's frustrated, but he doesn't dare say anything. In fact, I had a thread about it a while back:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1563967

He's clueless about amps, but is convinced he knows best and I'm full of shit. The guys here should be offended. They taught me all I know

I should also add that he uses a Mesa Recto cab with V30's, and I was using a stock Jet City 2x12. Now I have WGS Retro 30's, but I haven't played with those guys since I got them. We're currently on hiatus so the rest of them can get their shit together and either dedicate themselves completely or get the **** out.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #82
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
See, our other guitarist uses a Mesa Rectoverb, but he scoops his mids and dimes his gain. Then, he uses his neck pickup more often than not. He's playing an Epiphone Special II SG. His family is loaded, but he won't pull the trigger on a new guitar because he's indecisive. He won't upgrade that one because he would rather have a new one. Overall, his tone is total shit. It makes zero sense, too, considering he's a self-proclaimed "blues guitarist" and he scoops his mids almost completely and almost maxes his gain.

These are the settings he uses:
Presence: 3:30
Bass: 11:00
Mids: 8:00
Treble: 2:45
Gain: 2:30
Modern setting

For reference, 7:00 is zero and 5:00 is 10. He used to set his gain higher, but cut it down recently.

He's using stock Mesa tubes, and will probably blindly buy those again, because he's going to ask the guys at his local guitar store, which is a huge Mesa dealer, and they'll tell him that or some other re-brand company. He refuses to take any advice I give him.

He plays with his solo boost on until he doesn't want to be heard. It's funny, because he'll set his volume during soundcheck without the boost, then turns it on when we play in an attempt to drown me out.

I cut through him like butter. I can tell he's frustrated, but he doesn't dare say anything. In fact, I had a thread about it a while back:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1563967

He's clueless about amps, but is convinced he knows best and I'm full of shit. The guys here should be offended. They taught me all I know

I should also add that he uses a Mesa Recto cab with V30's, and I was using a stock Jet City 2x12. Now I have WGS Retro 30's, but I haven't played with those guys since I got them. We're currently on hiatus so the rest of them can get their shit together and either dedicate themselves completely or get the **** out.

damn dude, I run on a pretty defferent EQ than him. I go
Gain:12:00
Bass:2:00
Mids:1:00
Treble:10:00
Maybe that's why I cut his shit like butter, he's busy doing the bassists job while I do the guitarist's job . Plus what I have sounds like overdrive in some context of the word, what he has sounds like a civic played through a spyder 3. Not sure how he manages to make his spyder 3 sound worse than a spyder 3 but he does.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #83
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0

haha i learnt the same way (and from other forums, too).

Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #84
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
haha i learnt the same way (and from other forums, too).

I aswell, this site really does help you learn things you wouldn't otherwise know.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #85
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah

granted (this goes for anywhere on the net) there's not always a lot of differentiation between the good info and the BS. but as long as you read everything with a critical and sceptical eye, there's a lot of good info about online.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #86
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
yeah

granted (this goes for anywhere on the net) there's not always a lot of differentiation between the good info and the BS. but as long as you read everything with a critical and skeptical eye, there's a lot of good info about online.

A skeptical eye is what separates the knowledgeable from the misinformed. I make it a point to always give everything read a once-over and a fact check before I offer what was said as a solution.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #87
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

I learned a ton since I joined. I lurked around reading first for 2 years.

Sometimes there is bandwagoning but its also for a reason. A la spider series.

Still learning and trying to share what I have learned.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #88
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
I learned a ton since I joined. I lurked around reading first for 2 years.

Sometimes there is bandwagoning but its also for a reason. A la spider series.

Still learning and trying to share what I have learned.

Well if it wasn't for ya'll, I would have bought the frontman 212 and I'd be flopping my male organ around bragging about it. I really do find forums to be an invaluable learning resource, I've learned everything to know about rebuilding small engines from a go cart forum that I frequent on, and also quite a bit on automotive engines on a hotrodder forum that I frequent aswell.

I do thank you guys for all you've taught me, anymore I'm probably more qualified than any guitar technician around to set up guitars, floyd or otherwise. I still want to figure out more amp and pedal technician stuff, but I think I'm well on my way.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #89
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
A skeptical eye is what separates the knowledgeable from the misinformed. I make it a point to always give everything read a once-over and a fact check before I offer what was said as a solution.

yep

Old 01-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #90
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
yep

It does make it pretty amusing watching people who are FOS talk from their rear opening when you know they're just pulling things from their bum.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #91
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

haha yeah. it can get annoying at times, though, especially when they just won't quit (or when other people believe them instead of you).

Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #92
Viban
UG's resident bum

That's why I try to stay out of EG, it's full of all of those things.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #93
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Old 01-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #94
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
haha yeah. it can get annoying at times, though, especially when they just won't quit (or when other people believe them instead of you).

This.

It's so incredibly frustrating when our other guitarist blows off bullshit and i have to go around fixing the damage. Then, I try and tell him seomething to help him out, and he completely discredits it. I find it super funny, though, that he can turn his volume up much higher than what mine is set at and I cut through him so easily

It's going to be even worse mow that I've got more mid-heavy speakers. Add to that the fact that my newest guitar has a JB in the bridge, which has more mids than my Pearly Gates in my other guitar, and he's going to be lucky to be heard at all.

In fact, the Vengeance is one cutting mother f*****. I had to re-EQ the bassist's rig and use my 10-band in my loop to cut some room for him because he couldn't be heard either. I shouldn't need to do that, now that my speakers aren't as focused on lower-mids.

I just can't get over that the other guitarist is using V30's with his treble and presence set that high. It used to only be worse, too. Our demo is terrible. I was using a Fender HRD with my TL-2 (terrible combination) and his EQ was super whack. I'm pretty sure his mids were literally on zero. Then, I was using way too much gain. It sounded fine before it hit the mic, but after the mic compressed it, it sounded terrible. I mean, we recorded it in our drummer's basement. His dad "engineered" it. He has some nice recording equipment, he just isn't good at using it. It's seriously just bad, though. If you guys want to hear it, I can provide a link, but I'm not going to just throw it on here so that I'm not "advertising"
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #95
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

V30s can go wrong so quickly depending on the amp. Treble and presence to high makes my ears bleed and want to jump off my head.

The mid cutting will never end. Just slice through the dumbass and enjoy every bit of it. Let him crank his shit as high as he wants. Funny every time.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #96
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Jesus used V30s in his guitar amp. True story.

In other news, the V30s aren't so bad if you know how to tame them. I just got a Mesa cab today with 4 of those sons a' bitches and they are harsh but if you buy some earplugs it makes it much more enjoyable, kinda like you are standing about 50 feet away from a stage.

And Devon, do you use a close- or open-backed cab?

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #97
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
V30s can go wrong so quickly depending on the amp. Treble and presence to high makes my ears bleed and want to jump off my head.

The mid cutting will never end. Just slice through the dumbass and enjoy every bit of it. Let him crank his shit as high as he wants. Funny every time.

nothing like showing the totally br00tz kids how to make a guitar sound like a guitar.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #98
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Awesome upgrades dude!

That Mesa cab looks soo much better, you really did a nice job.

rock on

and yeah - this site is more condusive to learning the ins and outs of how all of this works - much better than the other guitar forums imo

GG&A BABY
Old 01-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #99
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Thanks 311. : cheers:
Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #100
PROVEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
That is not the first time he has been called out on that bottle of Crown

He has a sensitive stomach. Its not his fault!
PROVEN is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: