Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
MrMino

Lightbulb Fender 15g (lol) head mod without cab

Hello everyone, I'm new here, also I'm new to electronics, so go easy on my knowledge, please .

I have an old, second-hand fender frontman 15g amp. I want to mod it to head, throw out speaker, cut down the pieces, put it on a table next to my computer and have some nice little box for pluging it into my sound card.

Someone told me once, that an amp without cab isn't very good idea.

My question is:
- can I use such moded amp without cab, and what is the best way to plug it into computer .

Also, if someone has knowledge, can he tell me how can I add reverb to it? 15G has same pcb 15R has, just no reverb included.
MrMino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Welcome to the forum.

First off, trying to understand what you're trying to achieve. Are you trying to record your guitar through the amp into the computer? If so, then the way you're trying to do it won't work. The only way you'd be able to is to run a cable from the headphone jack (which is essentially a line out) and go into the computer. Which isn't ideal either. Small SS amps aren't as dangerous running with no load (output from the amplifier), but it's still not ideal.
You're far better off buying a cheap USB interface and running Podfarm or something similar.

Also modding a cheap amp like that isn't worth, not to mention adding reverb to that amp would be the biggest waste of time, effort and money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
MrMino

Thanks for replying .

K, forget the reverb. Recording thorugh the headphone jack is what I'm thinking off - I just don't have money to buy a preamp or any kind of pod. The only problem for me at the moment is that I don't know if I'd broke the amp if I run it without cab.

Also, head mod for 15G looks cool, and as many people before me mentioned - amp sounds better this way .

MrM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

There's only one proper way to mod a Frontman - find dumpster, insert amp, walk away.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

^ this.

If you just want to record your guitar into your PC, just buy an interface. Theres absolutely no need to run your guitar into the Frontman first, then the interface to PC. Thats like plugging your guitar into a fresh squeezed out turd then plugging that same turd into a Bogner Uberschall.

EDIT: I put it to you that even something like this small crappy interface will sound better running the free version of Amplitube than your Frontman.

Last edited by Wesbanez : 01-14-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
MrMino

@upup

I'm aware .

Still, I'm just curious (just for my knowledge purposes ) is there anyway to do it?

@upup
Without a dumpster

@edit
This crappy interface is still out of range for me :<. 150PLN in Poland makes it totaly irrational for me to buy it.

Last edited by MrMino : 01-14-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMino
@upup

I'm aware .

Still, I'm just curious (just for my knowledge purposes ) is there anyway to do it?

@upup
Without a dumpster

Well, I think the answer is technically a "yes", but the more pertinent answer would be "seriously? dont bother..." especially since you proclaim to have no money. Any money you may come into would be better spent on a nice interface.
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

You can't find a cheap interface on Amazon or ebay?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
MrMino

Still, the money that I'll need to spent for moding such amp equals... 0? And if You guys still don't realize, It IS a big deal to get such interface for me (18 year old guy with not much money to spend) in PL. The prices in USD does not equal to PLN prices after exchange (USD x around 2,7, from ebay - add 20-60 PLN for transporting it). The prices here, when it comes to such gear, are given from the roof. My wallet just doesn't scale.

OFC, I will get such some time later, but in the meantime:

- looks cool :>
- gives me some experience on it
- I'm bored
- I just don't want to f*** it up running it without a cab

seriously .

Last edited by MrMino : 01-14-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMino
Still, the money that I'll need to spent for moding such amp equals... 0? And if You guys still don't realize, It IS a big deal to get such interface for me (18 year old guy with not much money to spend) in PL. The prices in USD does not equal to PLN prices after exchange (USD x around 2,7, from ebay - add 20-60 PLN for transporting it). The prices here, when it comes to such gear, are given from the roof. My wallet just doesn't scale.

OFC, I will get such some time later, but in the meantime:

- looks cool :>
- gives me some experience on it
- I'm bored
- I just don't want to f*** it up running it without a cab

seriously .

looking cool does nothing for the sound. dude bottom line is that you will be very disappointed witht the results. no point in recording a crap guitar sound. save some money and get an interface. you doi realize that unkess you can just run the preamp section of your amp that you are doomed to failure anyways. just disconnecting the speaker isn't enough.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I know exactly what you mean by USD not translating directly because local prices are higher because the same thing occurs here. That's why I buy so much stuff directly from the US and the UK. The internet has brought globalisation to the masses (much to the chagrin of our corporate masters). Ebay and Amazon allows us to buy direct. You don't have to pay inflated local prices, you can sidestep the local retailers entirely. Postage on something as small as an interface from the US would be about $10.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 01-14-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
MG_Sora
UG's Industrial Designer

Well guys, he just can't/doesn't want to buy something new. I used to be in the same situation as him a few years ago being a non-us/uk guitarist with a lot of GAS, and let me tell you, customs rape us with taxes, it's not just buying the equipment, as you say.

Anyway, I'm sure something like that can be done, but don't expect great quality. I did it with an old amplifier I had lying around, but never actually removed the speaker. I'm not sure it matters, since the audio signal gets redirected to the phone jack.

To be on the safe side, I guess you could manage to do that safely if you got some kind of ohm load on the speaker cables.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
MrMino

But the mainside for this mod isn't just recording through it - it is just a shi*-amp, I have got a better one. I'll mod it anyways, I just want to know how to run it safely without that speaker just for freakin' fun . Mod itself doesn't cost me anything.

Rate This Thread: