Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
SR7s

How to know what tuning to use?

If I want to transcribe a song to play it in the acoustic guitar, something like Sungha Jung would do, how do I know what tuning I should use? I just find out the key of the song and tune to it's relative open tuning? What about those weird tunings some players use?

Thanks!
SR7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
macashmack
Maskcashmack

most of the time songs are played in standard tuning.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Most of the time you can look up tunings online for songs, players like Sungha and Andy Mckee that do that kind of style have a larger large following, so someone that has covered the tunes/the forum sections on their websites often have info regarding tunings.

Other then that, when i am faced with a tune that i don't know the tuning of i try to find a way to play it in standard tuning, and if i find there are sections that are impossible with standard tuning due to stretches or chord voicings i simply tune my guitar to fit that part that is giving me trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
SR7s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickz
Most of the time you can look up tunings online for songs, players like Sungha and Andy Mckee that do that kind of style have a larger large following, so someone that has covered the tunes/the forum sections on their websites often have info regarding tunings.

Other then that, when i am faced with a tune that i don't know the tuning of i try to find a way to play it in standard tuning, and if i find there are sections that are impossible with standard tuning due to stretches or chord voicings i simply tune my guitar to fit that part that is giving me trouble.

But I would like to know how players like Sungha Jung or Andy McKee come up with the tunings they use. How do they choose what tuning to use with each song?
SR7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
spicyfourpiece

More often than not players will choose an open tuning if there are a lot of chords which use open strings that reinforce what the artist is trying to portray. Open tunings are also used while playing slide.

To find the tuning that the artist has used, listen for any notes that seem to stick through the chord changes. These notes could possibly be just that; open notes. Then you can find each of the other strings tunings relative to the open note. Chances are the artist has used the tuning to make playing these chords easier, so if you are struggling to form the chord your most likely not playing it in the original tuning.

You can also always watch live youtube videos for the chord formations and then go from there.

Largely trial and error.
spicyfourpiece is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: