User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
jamster92

Need help with new guitar :-S

Hello guys! I just bought my first 7-string guitar Ibanez Iron Label

http://www.samash.com/ibanez-rgir27...uitar-irgir27fb

And i got to keep the one on the floor on collateral until my new one arrived. So the one on the floor played beautiful, no problems, the tune was not giving me a problem at all.

So I picked mine up when it arrived, got home and fresh out of the box. I'm tuning it and there's something wrong. Once all strings hit the green light on the tuner and i play it, it sounds off. I don't know if I'm explaining myself very well but is it because it needs to be broken into? Its a brand new guitar so it shouldn't give me any problems T_T

Help??

Last edited by jamster92 : 04-15-2014 at 11:56 PM.
jamster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Why does it sound "off"?

Im guessing:

- new strings stretching
- guitar intonation hasn't been set up yet
Old 04-16-2014, 12:42 AM   #3
sarcoplasm

Well if the strings are new then they need time to stretch out, which means after tuning it some playing could put it out of tune. Normally I'll tune new strings, do some playing with chords and bends, retune, then repeat until it stops going out of tune. I guess another possibility could be the intonation is off, which implies that the 12th fret and open string aren't the same note. Otherwise I can't think of any reason for it to sound "off" unless you are tuning it wrong.
sarcoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:51 AM   #4
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Use your ear to tune. It could be an intonation problem too. As sarcoplasm said, you need to compare the fretted 12th fret note and open string (or 12th fret harmonic) to each other.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:39 AM   #5
The4thHorsemen
Which way's she spinning?

What they said.

Also, after first tuning up a new set of strings I'll go through each string and grab it at around the 12th fret with my pointer and index and pull it about an inch away from the fretboard a couple of times, then retune it. I'll do this several times on each string until it gets to the point where it only goes about a quarter or eighth of a step out of tune when I stretch it. Just be really careful to not break the high e and b strings. I have occasionally broken a brand new string doing this, but it was always because I got impatient and started pulling a little harder.

But yea, as they said, it could need the intonation set correctly. There are tons of places online that explain how to do this.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:19 AM   #6
sykryk
Deceive

If I buy a guitar from a store, and they have multiples of the same one - I buy the one I played and liked.

So it'll have finger marks and a few scuffs - you can make 10 copies of 1 guitar the exact same way - there will be slight differences between them.

I'd say go back and get the one you originally had!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
morbidguitar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamster92

And i got to keep the one on the floor on collateral until my new one arrived. So the one on the floor played beautiful, no problems, the tune was not giving me a problem at all.

So I picked mine up when it arrived, got home and fresh out of the box. I'm tuning it and there's something wrong. Once all strings hit the green light on the tuner and i play it, it sounds off. I don't know if I'm explaining myself very well but is it because it needs to be broken into? Its a brand new guitar so it shouldn't give me any problems T_T

Help??

When you buy a new guitar, it should automatically come WITH a full setup (unless your buying a cheapo). Not sure what an Ibanez iron label is, even though I have a dozen RG and Prestige models, but I can assure you $399 or $2599 mine have been flawless for years.
Do you have experience tuning a Floyd style bridge? When your done, test all of the strings on your tuner without touching the tuners. If they are all in the green with little or no drift, then you can then check them at the 12th fret, they should be relatively the same if not then you may have intonation or other issues. If your string height is HIGH then your bridge is going to lift when you play a note and will pull everything temporarily out of tune. I don't normally come on these forums but this was on the main UG page so that's my 2c.

Last edited by morbidguitar : 04-16-2014 at 08:56 AM.
morbidguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
tonibet72

Provided your strings are all fully stretched in:

I don't know that brand of guitar you bought, but ive come across many a guitar with the intonation all screwed on them, regardless of price tag!

*Sykryk* hit the nail on the head, it's not your job to re-intonate and correct all the quirks if your buying new, but it can pay dividends to learn how to yourself.

Take/send it back and get another, and if that one doesn't sound right either,
Demand a FULL refund. (Warn them before sending back).

Best to Buy "instore"...

hate to think, Stores passing off bad gear to newbies.
(Unfortunately it can occassionally happen).

Good Luck!

Last edited by tonibet72 : 04-16-2014 at 10:58 AM.
tonibet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
djentlynow

Make intonation is set up and stuff, and tune with harmonics. Also, if you have accidentally changed the frequency range or something, make sure it's normal (usually at about a about 440 hz setting). Try turning this setting down! I've found that doing this helps the tuner register lower tunings and such (or at least it makes me think it does ). Good luck
djentlynow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
jamster92

Well I'm not a noob I've been coming here for 5 years, just couldn't get my old account info xD I've been playing for 8 years and I've had guitar probs in the past but this is my first NEW guitar. I usually buy them used. My friend who works there sold me that one. And I've done everything of above (check on 12th fret, play 6th and 1st string at the same time also with other octaves, mess with other octaves and what not) so on and so forth, he said he was going to pass by because, yes, it is new, but I has new factory strings, so its brand new EVERYTHING and it has to be adjusted. He also said that if he sees any problems today that are serious, which he doubts, he won't charge to fix it as he is experienced with Ibanez and other 7 string guitars.

Again he's a good friend of mine for years so he wouldn't reccomend something bad xD plus I've read reviews about it and when I played it, I had to have it! Its just new from factory which I knew was going to be a headache day one hahaha. I'm at work so when I get out I'm gonna see how the guitar is. Thank you everyone lots of help here as usual!

And again, I used to come here just lost my old email and user info :S back in 2007 xD.

Last edited by jamster92 : 04-16-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #11
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:

Help??

so you got your first real 7 string.

Did you check to make sure you tuned each string to the correct note?
Like when you hit your 3rd string, does the tuner say "g"?
GuitarMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
jamster92

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMunky
so you got your first real 7 string.

Did you check to make sure you tuned each string to the correct note?
Like when you hit your 3rd string, does the tuner say "g"?

Yes.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
And I've done everything of above (check on 12th fret, play 6th and 1st string at the same time also with other octaves, mess with other octaves and what not) so on and so forth

So, it's intonated properly? Then how does it sound "off"?

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #14
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
Yes.

I've had people tell me that many times, and then I check it out, and like the D will be a B or something.

If that's not the case, you need to get it set up.
GuitarMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Maybe take it back to the store you bought it from and tell them to do a setup. They should do it for free.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Old 04-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #16
jamster92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Maybe take it back to the store you bought it from and tell them to do a setup. They should do it for free.

Yea they told me that if there's something off, they will fix for free or adjust for free, they got me covered I'm going tomorrow because of work.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #17
NewDayHappy
Tittytwister

You probably just need to break it in man, just like a girl, haha.

When I got my Martin D16 it was the same thing, at first I longed for the sound of my old Fender CD60, but after 2 weeks I got used to it and now we're inseparable.
NewDayHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #18
jamster92

Problem solved guys! Friend fixed for me itwas a bit on the bridge that needed to be adjusted xD did all the tests and its flawless! Buuuuuuuuut.... my tuner (rp250) still doesn't read right. Turned out to be the tuner, bought the snark clip on tuner and its all fine. The rp tuner doesn't pick it up :/ but oh well! Thnks everyone for the help!!!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:14 AM   #19
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Problem solved guys! Friend fixed for me itwas a bit on the bridge that needed to be adjusted xD did all the tests and its flawless! Buuuuuuuuut.... my tuner (rp250) still doesn't read right. Turned out to be the tuner, bought the snark clip on tuner and its all fine. The rp tuner doesn't pick it up :/ but oh well! Thnks everyone for the help!!!

Yeah... But just use your ears if it doesn't sound right. I wouldn't trust a tuner if it made my guitar sound out of tune. I would just use my ears. Of course you can't do this on a gig but when you are playing alone, I would actually recommend tuning by ear because it also improves your ear.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Old 04-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #20
jamster92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Yeah... But just use your ears if it doesn't sound right. I wouldn't trust a tuner if it made my guitar sound out of tune. I would just use my ears. Of course you can't do this on a gig but when you are playing alone, I would actually recommend tuning by ear because it also improves your ear.

That's the thing! When the tuner would put it out of tune, (or so i would think) i would go by ear. But then i would think I'd tune it wrong xD.

I have no problem by ear just being lazy sometimes hehe.

Rate This Thread: