Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
TheNinthWave

The 80's/Jaco Growl

Hey guys,
Anyone know how I can achieve the sound used by bassists such as Jaco Pastorious on albums such as Joni Mitchell's 1976 album Hejira, and the 80's work of artists such as Kate Bush and Japan?

Last edited by TheNinthWave : 01-16-2013 at 08:50 AM.
TheNinthWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
moody git
I bad writing

bridge pickup, fretless jazz bass, rotosound swing 66 strings and slightly upped mids iirc. i think he used hartke and acoustic amps.
jaco i mean
your videos in here only 1 would embed :S

Last edited by moody git : 01-16-2013 at 08:50 AM.
moody git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

You are chasing something that you simply cannot buy. Jaco Pastorius was a master bassist who singlehandedly changed the electric bass as we know it. Oh, you can duplicate his rig easily enough. As already stated, he used a stock Fender Jazz bass with a rosewood fretboard that he de-fretted and then covered with several coats of epoxy (Pete's Poly-Poxy, if you are curious. it was designed to fix cracks in boats, and Jaco bought it at a boating supply shop). His strings were Rotosound roundwounds, and his amplifiers were various Ampegs and such before he settled on Hartke amps and cabinets. But Jaco's sound and tone came mostly from his incredibly nuanced playing, and that includes his signature fretless "growl." To truly sound like Jaco, you'd have to be able to play like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
Sliide90027

I cannot concur with Fatal Gear.

Bridge Pickup to the forefront, and put the fingers about 1.5" from the saddles.

That growl you hear is the focus of the tension of the strings at that location of the string. It practically barks when pulled stacato. It growls when you are fluidly sweeping across the strings.

The smoothness beyond the attack is the decay caused by his Epoxy coated Fingerboard.

Jazz Basses do this tone better than the same Tech on the P Bass because of the location of the Pickup.

When Leo took another major swipe at the instrument you see the location of the MM Sting Ray Pup. A More Modern Tone was born, away from the Boom and thump depth of the DBV.

Levin and Flea project this design in our culture, but Levin played on all Musicians Musicians albums and tours, Crimson, Yes, Gabriel...what a carreer. It is really that neighborhood of the microphonic pickup of the string's vibration, in that first 3 inches from the bridge.

Amazing thing a String, how it is so much louder in the center, and has more depth of tambor, while brighter and growlier at the bridge, but nevertheless they are the same note, the same frequency vibration, seemingly so different, only an inch from one another from the same piece of metal.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: