Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
George Juggles

URGENT: Problem with Trem Springs

Okay. This guitar is a Squier Affinity strat, but I don't use it much since I got a new guitar. I pulled it out to play it, made a few adjustments (truss rod, intonation, etc.) That was a few days ago. When I got it out today, I noticed that the one screw holding the trem claw had come out part way. I tightened it up, but it immediatly came out again. So I blocked the trem with a piece of wood (and a pick, my cut was a bit off) so there wasn't as much tension on the claw.

What should I do to fix this problem? Help is greatly appreciated.

Here are some pictures, you can see where the problem is.

EHX Big Muff USA
BOSS DD3
Joyo Power-Supply 2
George Juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

The screw hole opened up to where it no longer grips the screw. The best solution is to fill the hole with plastic wood or some sort of epoxy, then re-drill the hole. Given the angle of the hole to the cavity, this is a royal pain in the ass unless you have a huge selection of specialized drill bits. You could try to find a bigger diameter screw of the same length, and it might not require opening the hole on the tremolo claw, but you have no way of knowing the current diameter of the hole. You'd have to try quite a few screws to find the correct fit. The cheapo - but effective - way to fix it is to stick a wooden toothpick in the screw hole, break it off so it is flush or nearly flush with the top of the hole, and then re-screw the retaining screw into the hole. It works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
George Juggles

Okay, so would the toothpick way make it stay secure/ would it last a while?

btw, thanks for the quick reply
EHX Big Muff USA
BOSS DD3
Joyo Power-Supply 2
George Juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Juggles
Okay, so would the toothpick way make it stay secure/ would it last a while?

btw, thanks for the quick reply

You're welcome. Yes, the pressure between the screw and the (now squished) toothpick in the hole grips the screw tightly. This is a common method for fixing loose strap button screws, and if that will hold the entire weight of the guitar, then this thing will hold the screw. I'd recommend it as a temporary fix, though. Your local repair shop should be able to fill that hole with plastic wood, re-drill the hole to the proper size and screw the tremolo claw in for a very cheap price. It isn't much work as long as you have a long enough drill bit. If they quote you some ridiculous price, just leave and find another shop. They probably shouldn't charge you more than $5.00 for such an easy repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: