Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
TakeThat
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Music Industry and Performance

Well I'm in grade 12 and I still haven't applied for college and its getting late. I need to apply ASAP and there's nothing that really interests me except for music. There's a program at this college called "Music Industry and Performance" and I'm thinking about applying to it. I'm just wondering if this is a good idea and what jobs can I get with this and any other information I can get would be awesome. Here's the link and the video!

http://www.cna.nl.ca/programs-cours....asp?program=14

TakeThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
 
rockingamer2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rainy Northwest
The music business is all about who you know and what they think of you. They want to know who you are, what skills you bring to the table (which you have to show, not flash a piece of paper that says you do).

The fact that you've waited this long to apply doesn't bode well for you since you can't really take a backseat with things when it comes to the entertainment industry. I also hope you aren't doing this because you can't think of something else you want to do and jumped onto music just because it's an interest. The music industry isn't very nice.
__________________
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort

Last edited by rockingamer2 : 01-14-2013 at 10:21 PM.
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution
 
scguitarking927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SC
Get yourself into an electronics program with a physics minor or something. pretty much all of it is applicable to modern music and the production.
__________________
Owner of United Studios

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
it sounds like you're just a lazy kid who happens to also play music sometimes

a music program might catalyze the change needed to make you a serious player, but if music isn't absolutely the only thing that makes sense for you right now, you might just not have the growl and bite to get to a sustainable level in the industry.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
TakeThat
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Maybe I came off as lazy but I certainly am not, I don't play occasionally I play daily. I just finished learning Jerry's breakdown about a week ago, not an easy song by no means (in my opinion). But I know what you're saying, they don't want a piece of paper saying your capable of being a musician, makes sense. So I guess the best option for me is to go to school and get a regular job, and then if possible do music on the side.

But if I did do this program, I know there are a lot of music related jobs, what kind of jobs are there and would this help me get those jobs? Right now going to school for 3 years doing something I dont like doesn't sound like fun
TakeThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
no i'm saying why in the world are you waiting this late to think about college and your career, that's dumb as hell

the application process is in full swing already and you're barely starting to worry about it

if you're gonna be a musician, do that because it's inherent in you to do it, not because you just remembered that you're practically an adult and that means you have to put a major on a piece of paper

Last edited by Hail : 01-15-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
TakeThat
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
I've been thinking about college but I'm just really unsure of what I want to do, I wouldn't be the first one. I want to be a musician more than anything but I guess I'm just scared more than anything. To be a musician you don't need schooling or anything saying that you can be a musician, like the guy above said its all about who you know and what they think of you so I guess there really is no point to do this program.
TakeThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
 
AeolianWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThat
To be a musician you don't need schooling or anything saying that you can be a musician, like the guy above said its all about who you know and what they think of you so I guess there really is no point to do this program.


your reasoning is backwards as ****.

who do you know now? how many contacts do you have who can open doors for you in the music industry? are you going to get more by not going to school for music?

i really knew my stuff going in, so pretty much the only thing i stood to gain from going to school for music was making contacts -- which is the most important thing.

being motivated to play (and watch how you say "play", not even "practice") daily and being motivated to succeed are two very different things.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister A.J.
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elintasokas
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
i smell a theme.
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
TakeThat
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
I don't know what in doing and I don't know what the music business is all about. Obviously what you're saying is true and it makes a lot of sense. But I don't want to do the program and when I'm done have nothing to do. That probably sounds really stupid I know. What did going to music school do for you where are you now? If you don't mind me asking.
TakeThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
EmilGD
Unregistered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Norway
To me it seems like you're way too uncertain about what you want to become at the moment. I'd wait another year and really think about your options and see if you end up zooming in at something. The thing with music (and creative careers in general), is that if you don't know exactly what your goals is and work very hard towards them, it is very unlikely that you'll end up with anything sustainable, even with a degree.
EmilGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #11
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
 
axemanchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
I'm going to come in on the other side here. Up until about half way through grade 12, I was sure I was going to go into engineering. My maths and sciences were high. I was looking at maybe accounting as a fall-back.

And then I changed my mind. There I was, in grade 12, and saying, "Gee, I think I'd really like to do music." I knew most of the AC/DC catalogue, and had about grade two Royal Conservatory in classical. I didn't stand a f**king chance.

But I hooked up with the best of the best of instructors, and he took me from where I was to playing two grade 8 pieces, a grade 9 piece, and a grade ten piece in a little over a year. (we still had grade 13 back then. If it was now, I would have taken a year off school.) (Royal Conservatory only goes up to grade 10). Now, to get there, I worked my @ss off. I was practicing three or four hours a day.

I didn't get into the music program, but I got into the Humanities program and, based on my audition, got permission of the department to take a lot of the music courses I was ultimately going to have to take anyways, pending a successful audition.

I worked my @ss off in that year with the same instructor, maintaining my 3-4 hours a day practice regimen and auditioned a second time. I played two grade 10 pieces, a grade 9 piece, and a grade 8 piece, and I played everything to a much more fluid level than I did the previous year. Also, in the interim, I took private lessons for ear training, because I failed the ear test the first audition too. That year, I got in.

My point is, it is not too late. It can be done. Just don't expect it to be easy.

CT
__________________
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #12
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris

My point is, it is not too late. It can be done. Just don't expect it to be easy.


the main thing being that he waited this long to make any decision. like, it seems like he hasn't even been thinking about his future or tried to make a plan.

it's not too late, but it's hard to say that he'll even want to be a musician in 2 or 3 years.

that's the impression i'm getting, at least.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:09 AM   #13
chronowarp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
I'm going to come in on the other side here. Up until about half way through grade 12, I was sure I was going to go into engineering. My maths and sciences were high. I was looking at maybe accounting as a fall-back.

And then I changed my mind. There I was, in grade 12, and saying, "Gee, I think I'd really like to do music." I knew most of the AC/DC catalogue, and had about grade two Royal Conservatory in classical. I didn't stand a f**king chance.

But I hooked up with the best of the best of instructors, and he took me from where I was to playing two grade 8 pieces, a grade 9 piece, and a grade ten piece in a little over a year. (we still had grade 13 back then. If it was now, I would have taken a year off school.) (Royal Conservatory only goes up to grade 10). Now, to get there, I worked my @ss off. I was practicing three or four hours a day.

I didn't get into the music program, but I got into the Humanities program and, based on my audition, got permission of the department to take a lot of the music courses I was ultimately going to have to take anyways, pending a successful audition.

I worked my @ss off in that year with the same instructor, maintaining my 3-4 hours a day practice regimen and auditioned a second time. I played two grade 10 pieces, a grade 9 piece, and a grade 8 piece, and I played everything to a much more fluid level than I did the previous year. Also, in the interim, I took private lessons for ear training, because I failed the ear test the first audition too. That year, I got in.

My point is, it is not too late. It can be done. Just don't expect it to be easy.

CT

Read this twice.

Then think hard.
__________________
Check out my band Socrates and the Lava Gods
chronowarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:39 AM   #14
guihoyute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Get yourself into an electronics program with a physics minor or something. pretty much all of it is applicable to modern music and the production.

Maximizar el confort del pie con elegantes camisetas de futbol baratas botas de charol
guihoyute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #15
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by guihoyute
Get yourself into an electronics program with a physics minor or something. pretty much all of it is applicable to modern music and the production.

Maximizar el confort del pie con elegantes camisetas de futbol baratas botas de charol


these adbots are getting good
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:41 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.