Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
cvasallo

Question Serious Problem With Songwriting

im into writing metal, rock and acoustic music... whenever i write a song it sounds to much like another song thats already made. i have the song stuck in my head and the song im writing sounds EXACTLY like the other song with different lyrics and guitar parts SLIGHTLY different~ i need a solution... anybody got any advice???

P.S i like Slipknot, Asking Alexandria, Pierce The Veil, Of Mice And Men, Stone Sour, Falling In Reverse, Escape The Fate, Divided By Friday, Ballyhoo!, Capture the Crown, Attila, Matchbox 20, Train, Sublime, Shinedown, .38 Special, Guns N Roses, Slash, Alter Bridge, and bands like that!

HELP PLEASE
cvasallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
clockworkorang

You need to find your own voice. This takes a long time and a lot of writing to figure out. So you're trying to write original songs and you end up emulating bands that you like. This is actually a good way to start. Focus on what things you have changed from the original song, and ask yourself why you did so. If you changed that riff slightly, was it because you prefer to pick each note rather than pulling off? If you changed that lyric, is it because you would have felt uncomfortable singing those words? There are plenty of popular songs you probably wouldn't even be proud to have written. There are plenty of things you can enjoy playing as covers that probably don't feel right when you imagine playing them as originals. Focus on what you most enjoy playing, what you feel the most comfortable and the coolest playing. Above all, keep writing and don't fret about the results; as long as you keep putting effort in and ask yourself the above questions your writing will improve!
clockworkorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
bdof

What always works for me is trying to learn a cool riff by ear and getting it wrong. I usually play exclusively in Drop Db too, so it tends to sound entirely different.
Speed it up. Slow it down. Plow through with few chords instead of ending the phrase with a pinch harmonic. Etc.

Just make it yours.
bdof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
cvasallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdof
What always works for me is trying to learn a cool riff by ear and getting it wrong. I usually play exclusively in Drop Db too, so it tends to sound entirely different.
Speed it up. Slow it down. Plow through with few chords instead of ending the phrase with a pinch harmonic. Etc.

Just make it yours.

Thank so basically just take the song, change the temp change the riffs screw around with the breakdown and the timing on the words and maybe the tuning?
cvasallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
bdof

Rearrange it too. I typically combine 3-4 song's ideas into one song.
bdof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Well the issue is that in reality the bands you listed DO sound very similar... well not all of them but say Asking Alexandria, Pierce The Veil, Of Mice And Men, Escape The Fate, Capture the Crown and Attila share ALOT of elements in common. Standing out in a genre like that (Nu-Metalcore, Popcore, Scenecore) what ever you wish to call it is very difficult.

My best advice is just to start writing and keep writing, you're not going to be a genius to start with but if it was easy then everyone would be a great song writer. Just keep at it and eventually you'll end up having your own voice as said above. Just don't expect to really get anywhere playing the above kinda music unless you get really really good at it, though by the time you've spent a few years song writing there's a good chance you might not want to write such simple stuff anymore. Youtube and Facebook are filled with bands playing that kinda style and there's sort of a reason you've never heard of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 01-17-2013 at 05:55 PM.
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
darkblackpoison
Cufko

Keep writing, over and over again, don't stop.
Just keep going.
You just need to write a lot of songs.

>>>ORGASM<<<
darkblackpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
ROWSOLHAM

try a capo to find your key , then change chords to suit your song )
ROWSOLHAM is offline   Reply With Quote