Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
rohanR21

Unhappy Playing with a metronome

so guys i'm really having problems playing with a click. i can play normal scales to a metronome(be it quarter ,sixteenth or whatever kinda notes).but when it comes to playing solos to a click,i fail.
for example i learned the forsaken(dream theater ) solo a week ago.Now to pratice it i have to use the speed trainer in guitar pro and loop the solo over and over to get it done.this takes a lot of time,it would be much easier if i could play to a click.
Plus while playing a solo i get confused about the note value span,for example i can play a solo at 80 bpm and play the same solo with half values at 160 bpm...
so all in all ,i'm really confused..
Any help would be greatly appreciated.!!
rohanR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Sounds to me like you need to spend more time internalizing both the values of rhythms and the solo itself.

Really this is just a question of more practice; to the point where you can work with any given rhythmic division without having to think about it. If you have to think about what you're doing you're not going to be able to apply it to solos as fluidly as you need to be if you're going to be working to the precision of someone like Petrucci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Another thing that might help is to slow the song down using a program like Audacity so you can get used to it at a slower tempo. Other than that, just work on it. Play around with some odd rhythms, or write one yourself and practice with that.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:05 AM   #4
rohanR21

thanks, i think what Zaphod_Beeblebr said really makes sense...
cheers mate..
Old 01-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
HoneyboyHart

I see no reason to use a metronome these days. Getting good is about more than just correct time. It's a bout locking into a groove and learning how to phrase within different grooves. With so many great backing tracks around I think using them is a a better way to play along than with a metronome.

"It's about tone, taste, and technique. Technique is last for a reason."

http://www.bluesguitarinsider.com

http://www.rickhoneyboyhart.com
HoneyboyHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
GravityJazz3

Some solos are very difficult to play with a click without support from the rest of the instrumentation, so don't worry if you can't play it without the song itself. If you do want to learn how to play it with just the click then you could analyze the different rhythms within it to find where they fall around the beat, of course if the solo has some weird off time phrasing this would be rather hard to transcribe. I'd recommend continuing to play with a metronome but if you can't with this solo then so be it and don't beat yourself up over it and maybe later down the road you'll be able to do it. Good luck.
GravityJazz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
rohanR21

check this out please guys...
Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanR21

check this out please guys...

You're quite out of tine as much as anything else.

I also think if you're having trouble keeping time that Dream Theater might not be the best choice of music to play; as you said, it's quite complex. It's probably worth taking something simpler and really making sure you get the groove down, make sure you're 100% in time and you know what you're doing before going on to something like that.

Also: your vibrato is shallow and weak, you need to work on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
rohanR21

oh dude,you've got to be freaking kidding me..i was only off in the first part of the main solo,rest was perfectly in time..MY vibrato is good so far i've heard,the shitty gear i record through might be the case there..
Old 01-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanR21
oh dude,you've got to be freaking kidding me..i was only off in the first part of the main solo,rest was perfectly in time..MY vibrato is good so far i've heard,the shitty gear i record through might be the case there..

If the rest was perfectly in time, then why bother making this topic. We/he are here to help you, there's no need to be so harsh. If you lose that attitude you might actually learn something. For example,
From what I can tell by the video, work on your picking movements. For example, when playing the alternate picking section on 0:23 your wrist movement is a couple of centimetres wide with each pick - you only need a tiny bit of space to pick the string. Same thing with the solo.

Remember -> Economic movements -> less tension > fluid playing.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by My Last Words : 01-17-2013 at 04:01 AM.
My Last Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #11
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
WMP (Windows Media Player) works even better than Audacity in this case. WMP can slow the song down to 50% it's original speed but it does not alter the pitch (unlike audacity, am I right ?) The only thing I use audacity for ATM is to tune odd tuned songs to standard..

Audacity doesn't alter the pitch. I'm not sure about WMP simply because I don't use it. It's a Windows product after all.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 AM   #12
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
Audacity doesn't alter the pitch. I'm not sure about WMP simply because I don't use it. It's a Windows product after all.

Whoops, my bad.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
rohanR21

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
If the rest was perfectly in time, then why bother making this topic. We/he are here to help you, there's no need to be so harsh. If you lose that attitude you might actually learn something. For example,
From what I can tell by the video, work on your picking movements. For example, when playing the alternate picking section on 0:23 your wrist movement is a couple of centimetres wide with each pick - you only need a tiny bit of space to pick the string. Same thing with the solo.

Remember -> Economic movements -> less tension > fluid playing.

Hope this helps.

yeah ,it sure does..Thanks a lot sir...i think i got a little carried away there..i also owe an apology to zaphod,Sorry dude...
Thanks a lot to all of you for your suggestions...i owe you..

Rate This Thread: