Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
bdof

Question I'm getting Superior Drummer 2.0 and I want to know which expansion is best for.....

.....Heavy Metal. Like drummer good for anything from All That Remain to Meshuggah and beyond. Basically drums with moderate intensity, to some really intense stuff

I'll know doubt dabble with the regular Superior Drummer 2.0 software, but feel I'll eventually buy an expansion later on and would like to know which one sounds best for my tastes.

BTW, my styles are close a mix of LoG, Machine Head, Behemoth, and some good ol' Thrash

Last edited by bdof : 01-16-2013 at 04:57 PM.
bdof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Sethis

I only know Metal Machine. The OHs and Room mics are pretty kickass and the toms are good enough. I can't say I really liked the kick and snare. I prefer the ones in 2.0.

Edit: I meant Metal Foundry....

Last edited by Sethis : 01-16-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Well if you'd done some research you'd of found this...

http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=51

Hell it's even sampled from the Meshuggah drummer and it sounds a hell of a lot better than DKFH mind.

Though a lot of people I know say they like the regular avatar kit for metal just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
bdof

Nice. Bleed has some of favorite drumming.
bdof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
pr0pedestrian

Depends on what you have to spend. I don't think you can go wrong with The Metal Foundry if you have the money and hard disc space. Because it's made for SD2 instead of EZDrummer it has a lot more samples per drum and more drums than Drumkit from Hell or any of their other older offerings. On the other hand, it is twice as expensive and uses 35GB of hard drive space compared to 1GB for DFH. (also, the Meshuggah drummer was involved in the recordings of several of Toontrack's metal drumkits, including The Metal Foundry)

One thing I'd recommend is playing around with SD2 for a while. It already has a lot of drums by itself and plenty of tools for tweaking sounds. You may be able to get the sound you want by playing with the EQ, comp, reverb, etc. without spending a bunch of money on an expansion. Might be worth the time to find out.
Digitech GNX3 Multi-effect
Fender CD140SCE Acoustic-Electric
pr0pedestrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Well, personally I'd get Steven Slate Drums 4 if I were in your situation (already have it though) but each to their own...
Old 01-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Well, personally I'd get Steven Slate Drums 4 if I were in your situation (already have it though) but each to their own...

Yeah slates samples kill toontracks. The interface isn't quite as good, but the samples are killer.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 AM   #8
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

Metal Machine is a must buy if your doing metal with Superior Drummer the standard drums samples are better then the EZdrummer libaries ( I have Drumkit From Hell, Metal Machine & Metalheads ),. But the Metal Machine raises the level above that again " for metal drums.

there is no point even talking about Steven Slate if you already have Superior Drummer. it's just silly fan boy BS.

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.

Last edited by T4D : 01-17-2013 at 03:22 AM.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:19 AM   #9
MatrixClaw
UG God

I only find Metal Foundry usable for cymbals, they sound great. The kit on the other hand needs a lot of work because they are all off pitch and wonky sounding. I use the stock Avatar kit or Music City with Metal Foundry cymbals on a serious production, but usually I just slap Metal Machine on there and call it a day cause it sounds ****ing fantastic.

SSD is worth a look too, but unlike most of the others here, I find the kits kinda boring and harder to work with toget a unique sound. The CLA expansion is great though, but I certainly wouldn't buy it for whatever Steven is asking for it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Hehe CLA for $99.

GO ME

Quote:
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
schwinginbatman
Excuse me, good sir!

When it gets to the point between Superior and Slate, it really has less to do with quality and more with personal choice. I myself prefer Slate, but others may like Superior more. Honestly, you can't go wrong either way, it's just what you feel suits you better.

Gear:
ESP/LTD DV8-R
Jackson KVX10
ESP/LTD EC-200
ESP/LTD KH-202
ENGL Thunder 50
Studio 7 2x12
schwinginbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Yeah slates samples kill toontracks. The interface isn't quite as good, but the samples are killer.

I'm amazed by all the praise for Slate....everything I've heard of theirs sounds overly processed and fake, hardly any dynamics. I've just listened to about 50 demos on the website and if that's the best it can do, I'll pass!

I guess that's ok for metal or pop where ridiculous levels of 'fakeness' are common, but I hate that style of production anyway.
Superior is far more realistic if you're using an electric kit, stuff like the hihat transmutation and sample switching is miles above. Analogue Drums and NI Studio Drummer are also nice.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
chatterbox272

I'm not bashing either program, but it seems kinda stupid to be asking a question specifically related to superior then being recommended that TS buys a whole different program.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #14
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
I'm amazed by all the praise for Slate....everything I've heard of theirs sounds overly processed and fake, hardly any dynamics. I've just listened to about 50 demos on the website and if that's the best it can do, I'll pass!

I guess that's ok for metal or pop where ridiculous levels of 'fakeness' are common, but I hate that style of production anyway.
Superior is far more realistic if you're using an electric kit, stuff like the hihat transmutation and sample switching is miles above. Analogue Drums and NI Studio Drummer are also nice.

It does other stuff too... it's just that I don't own any of the jazz kits or anything as their all in premium only. And the demo's on all drum software websites are awful. I'm surprised you haven't noticed that.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
I'm amazed by all the praise for Slate

You've got 25 kits that sound good out of the box for most situations for $99 with the EX version. Yeah, its not perfect but neither is Superior. The cymbals in the stock Superior kit are meh. I know I'm going retail prices here but you're looking at $250 for Superior + $150 for the Metal Foundry and you've hit a decent sound. Plus, if you want to get the most out of Superior, you need a huge hard drive to hold the 60gb library for the 2.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
I'm not bashing either program, but it seems kinda stupid to be asking a question specifically related to superior then being recommended that TS buys a whole different program.

Not really. The TS says he's "getting" Superior, as in, he doesn't have it yet. A lot of times on the forum, people just plan on buying something because that's the one they've heard talked about the most, not because they've made their own choice on which sounds best to them, for what they need. People giving recommendations outside of S2.0, when he doesn't yet have it is a worthwhile response, if not at least togget the TS thinking
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
T4D

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272

Prefect once you go down a good path $$$ wise there is no need to be told HEY this path is better when it's only "personal" opinion.

Just like it's offensive to tell people using Sonar OR Cubase or Logic etc That Protools is better... just leave it ,. a good tool is a good tool,. Being a good artist and producing good art is the challenge.

But if your using Audacity Your should be told about Reaper hey it's free Well nearly

Old 01-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
T4D

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
you need a huge hard drive to hold the 60gb library

where is your computer from the 90's ?

I have 256 of SSD HD and 3 TB HD Storeage ?.. & 60 GB feaks you out

Old 01-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #19
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4D
Just like it's offensive to tell people using Sonar OR Cubase or Logic etc That Protools is better... just leave it ,. a good tool is a good tool,. Being a good artist and producing good art is the challenge.

As the only person who uses Pro Tools here (I know there are more, shutup), I tell people to stay away from it since its a $$$ pit. Though I also tell them to avoid Cubase too :p

Though I do agree with what Matrix is saying as the reason he's probably looking at SD 2.0 is the same reason that a new person comes in here and asks if Pro Tools is worth buying. Drum Programs aren't massively advertised outside of Toontracks products so most people think its the only one or the best one because its got the biggest ad.

Edit

Quote:
where is your computer from the 90's ?

I have 256 of SSD HD and 3 TB HD Storeage ?.. & 60 GB feaks you out

You do realize that there are a lot of users on here that are limited to whatever their laptop can hold which is usually around 500gb? Yes, you can buy external drives but considering most people here can't justify $60 on Reaper, thats just not an option.

Last edited by lockwolf : 01-17-2013 at 10:14 AM.
lockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #20
T4D

The only person ???... I use protools 10 ... I've grown though Reason, Sonar X1, Protool 9 and now locked into PT 10 for the ride to PT 11 ?

How much have you really used Superior Drummer to have such a negative opinion ?

Rate This Thread: