Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

I own it, I just don't use it as much as SSD since I can get a sound I like out of the box whereas with Superior, I have to spend like 10 minutes setting up the drums the way I like to get a good sound. Its not as easy as SSD or Addictive Drums (lol) to share kits from different expansions which was a huge turnoff. The drum samples are good but in all reality, its not enough for me to justify going out and spending $400 for it and Metal Foundry (I used to work in a studio, got some nice software for free when it closed, this being one) when you've got SSD at the other end with EX being great for most uses at $99.

I know, its all art and a personal thing or whatnot but when you've gotta spend $400 to get a good sound versus $99, at the end of the day, I've still got an extra $300 to spend on hookers and blow.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #22
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

SD2 is fine, I've used it. It does the job and it does sound really rather real.

But I've just found that I've enjoyed working with SSD4 far more. It feels more stream lined to me.

Also you want dynamics. Here's some dynamics, (STARTS AT 7:30):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 01-17-2013 at 11:08 AM.
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #23
bdof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Not really. The TS says he's "getting" Superior, as in, he doesn't have it yet. A lot of times on the forum, people just plan on buying something because that's the one they've heard talked about the most, not because they've made their own choice on which sounds best to them, for what they need. People giving recommendations outside of S2.0, when he doesn't yet have it is a worthwhile response, if not at least togget the TS thinking

Exactly.....

I'm mainly looking for a program that is solid across the board in audio quality, has an easy to use interface that's still quite deep, isn't overly difficult as far as writing out the drum parts, and has PLENTY of solid expansions.

$$$ really isn't an issue. I need to go out and get a new laptop anyways, so it's nice to hear how much space I'll need in advance

In case it wasn't obvious before, I'm a newb at this stuff, lol. Where's another great thread to further my education after I get what I need from this one?
bdof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #24
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

In the end it boils down to taste. You've gotta take a look about, see what you can afford, what sounds good for what you wanna do.

For Metal though It's a toss up between SSD4 and SD2 I'd say. The price point depends on which version of SSD4 you get. The EX version is $99 and it covers metal pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #25
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Glad Matrix had my back while I was at work, and it seems I was correct to presume TS hadn't bought Superior yet (as evidenced, though already mentioned, by the "getting" in the OP). Personally, I don't like the sound of Superior (even the expansion packs) and prefer the layout of SSD (though I guess that's because it's the first drum program I've actually wanted to buy through liking what I'd seen and heard, so it's familiar now).

As for programming the drum parts, you'll likely be using your DAW's (recording program's) 'Piano Roll' function, regardless of the drum sequencer you get - don't be intimidated by it, even though it might look confusing or like a keyboard/instrument... it is just a grid that you add the notes to, and can define their length and velocity (how 'hard' the hit is), as well as when they occur, down to the smallest increment your DAW can measure MIDI too (usually it's the equivalent of a sample, I believe, giving you up to 44,100 increments per second if you zoom in enough, or even more if you use a higher sample rate!).
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #26
bdof

Thanks DG!
bdof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #27
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

No problem You're cheerful enough, maybe I'm in too good a mood and will regret it but if you have any specific questions about recording, feel free to PM me and I don't mind answering - will save the thread getting derailed, or you creating more threads to ask them.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #28
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

I quite like both of them - but I use Superior, personally.
Charvel San Dimas Style 1 (MIJ) (JB/59)
Peavey 5150 II head (JJ tubes)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #29
MatrixClaw
UG God

I will say - If you like fat snares, SSD is definitely the way to go in that aspect. It takes a lot of work to get a huge snare sound in Superior, whereas the Slate snares are nice and big.

If I had to describe SSD and S2.0 in a few words, for SSD it'd be "big," though that often means the low-end can easily get out of control in mixes and the toms kind of blend together, whereas S2.0 is "clean and precise." When I started using Superior switching from SSD3.5 at the time, I instantly noticed how surgically precise the drums sounded, they cut through my mixes insanely well. However - Without a lot of work, they definitely lack the "wow" factor you get when you hear how huge of a tone you get with SSD.

Which one you like better is totally up to you. Personally, if I had to choose, I'd probably go with SSD for kicks and snares and S2.0 for everything else. Depending on genre, that could change though, as I prefer SSD for rock and lighter, whereas S2.0 alone really delivers for extreme metal with blast beats and very quick bass, where SSD might get too boomy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:09 AM   #30
Bostonrocks
UG God

Quote:
I will say - If you like fat snares, SSD is definitely the way to go in that aspect. It takes a lot of work to get a huge snare sound in Superior, whereas the Slate snares are nice and big.

If I had to describe SSD and S2.0 in a few words, for SSD it'd be "big," though that often means the low-end can easily get out of control in mixes and the toms kind of blend together, whereas S2.0 is "clean and precise." When I started using Superior switching from SSD3.5 at the time, I instantly noticed how surgically precise the drums sounded, they cut through my mixes insanely well. However - Without a lot of work, they definitely lack the "wow" factor you get when you hear how huge of a tone you get with SSD.

Which one you like better is totally up to you. Personally, if I had to choose, I'd probably go with SSD for kicks and snares and S2.0 for everything else. Depending on genre, that could change though, as I prefer SSD for rock and lighter, whereas S2.0 alone really delivers for extreme metal with blast beats and very quick bass, where SSD might get too boomy.

Agreed with this totally. SSD out of the box sounds way "bigger" and I personally much prefer it to toontracks stuff. BUT with work Toontrack stuff can sound better, but it takes time comping the snares and eqing the kick. Where SSD is ready to go (although I usually put a touch more comp on the snares)
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #31
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Quote:

Seconding the "precise" bit about superior. The toms can get boomy on SD pretty easily though if you aren't careful.
Charvel San Dimas Style 1 (MIJ) (JB/59)
Peavey 5150 II head (JJ tubes)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: