Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
BudBullets

Editing guitar tracks

There is a lot of recording knowledge here and Iím wondering if some would be willing to share some thoughts on basic editing of guitar tracks using Reaper. There are some tutorials on YouTube, but most are focused on midis and vocals and a few on acoustic guitars. But I would like to learn about generating better tracks using my electric guitar. Maybe some ideas, whys, and how to, on proper EQing, normalizing, panning.

Iím using Guitar Rig 5, Reaper, Focusrite 2i2 (per the suggestions here). It all works great and sounds good but I would like to learn more and perhaps improve the finished product.
BudBullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
david-b
I am THAT guy

A good sounding recording is always a great place to begin with. Mic position, amps, room setup all factor in. But as far as post recording, EQ and compression. There are quite a few tutorials out there on the basic starting point for cutting out some frequencies and getting a little more whole sound out of a recorded piece.
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Your question is really vague. What are you actually trying to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
PSimonR
PSR

Electric guitar tracks:

I wouldn't normalise since most electric sounds are effectively compressed by the distortion used and I would record to about -3 to-6dB level anyway.

Apart from HPF at about 150Hz I wouldn't apply EQ since I would have EQ'd the amp to the sound I wanted before sticking the mic in front of it. I would therefore only apply cutting EQ to a) make it fit in the mix better or b) to allow vocals to cut over it in the mix

I'd normally apply some compression and reverb, make two tracks and pan hard left and right rather than one track in the center - slightly different FX on the two.

There's loads of other genre specific stuff and suggest that http://forum.recordingreview.com/
might be a source of more specific information
Esp, Brandon's book.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/
PSimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
chronowarp

Compressing from overdrive isn't the same as compressing a signal in a mix for various effects.

Post EQ on a guitar has little to do with how "good" it sounds in the RAW, you are still going to have to cut to remove muddiness from the mix, and add clarity on the top end or cut out space for the vocal.

Rate This Thread: