Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Jaymorz

Looking For My First Electric

Hey guys, I've been playing acoustic for several years now and I want to get my first electric guitar as well as a decent amp, however, I don't know which make and model to get.

I'm mostly a casual player, I won't be in any band or do any gigs. The songs I would like to play would range from some iron maiden to guns n' roses.

I wanted to get a fender squier 2 years ago because they were cheap and relatively decent, so I hear. Are they any good now a days? As for the amp I don't know which to get that'll get the kind of sound I'd need to play some of those songs.

My price range is limited to around 300-400 US dollars for the guitar and I suppose 100-150 for the amp. Of course anything less than that would be ideal :-). Thanks for reading!

Btw, if you have any tips for playing an electric guitar/using an amp for the first time that'd be cool.
Jaymorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Chaz-6(sic)6
ThatMETALDude

A peavey vypyr amp would be great for you. It's a great amp. Not the best, but still, for a begginer it's really good.

as for the guitar, I'd suggest an Ibanez RG2EX1, great begginer guitar. it's got a solid fixed bridge and it goes for about $299 new.

Jackson DK-2 - Transparent Black - EMG 81/SA/SA (Drop-C)
Jackson RR-3 Limited Edition - Ivory w/Black Pinstripes - D-Activators (Standard & Drop-D)
Ibanez RG370DX - Black - EMG 81/60 (Drop-B)

Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 : 01-17-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Chaz-6(sic)6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
ConcertShooter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymorz
Hey guys, I've been playing acoustic for several years now and I want to get my first electric guitar as well as a decent amp, however, I don't know which make and model to get.

I'm mostly a casual player, I won't be in any band or do any gigs. The songs I would like to play would range from some iron maiden to guns n' roses.

I wanted to get a fender squier 2 years ago because they were cheap and relatively decent, so I hear. Are they any good now a days? As for the amp I don't know which to get that'll get the kind of sound I'd need to play some of those songs.

My price range is limited to around 300-400 US dollars for the guitar and I suppose 100-150 for the amp. Of course anything less than that would be ideal :-). Thanks for reading!

Btw, if you have any tips for playing an electric guitar/using an amp for the first time that'd be cool.
You might consider one of the Fender Modern Player guitars which would be within your price range. If you want a Strat, I've seen many on Craigslist close to your price range.

The Fender Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe for $449 is worth looking into. Fat P90 pickups. Decent Fender build even though it's Chinese. Semi-hollow body so it's light and won't damage your spine.

Last edited by ConcertShooter : 01-17-2013 at 08:32 PM.
ConcertShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Silver Hilton
Old enough

Look at used Made in Mexico stratocasters on Craigslist. These are generally solid, and can be had for around $300 usually. Good value.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Silver Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
DESTROYER5000
Banned

get a peavey sc-2 I have one and my friend who owns eight les paul standards says it plays better.
DESTROYER5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
NortonDevon

Spend more money on your amp than your guitar

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
NortonDevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
Chaz-6(sic)6
ThatMETALDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortonDevon
Spend more money on your amp than your guitar

This would be true if he had a guitar already and is looking to upgrade his sound.

But personally, for now, a $100-$150 Peavey Vypyr and A solid guitar (like the Ibanez I mentioned ) is a good way for him to find his own sounds. And when he gets better and if he gets more serious about his tone, then comes the high quality tube amp.

Jackson DK-2 - Transparent Black - EMG 81/SA/SA (Drop-C)
Jackson RR-3 Limited Edition - Ivory w/Black Pinstripes - D-Activators (Standard & Drop-D)
Ibanez RG370DX - Black - EMG 81/60 (Drop-B)
Chaz-6(sic)6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #8
Jaymorz

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, I appreciate them greatly. I think i'll pick up the peavey vypyr 15, thanks chaz!

As for the guitar, ill do a little more browsing before I come to a decision, although the ibanez looks like a top choice for me atm. The fenders and peavey sc-2 look decent as well!
Jaymorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #9
dannyalcatraz

Richmond Guitars Canada- a subsidiary of Godin- has a couple of nice guitars in your price range. in particular, look at the Belmont and the Empire:

http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/belmont.html
http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/empire.html

Both can be found under $450, new. Yes, that is a little outside your price range, but RGCs are made in Canada with pretty much the same QC as the other Godin lines. I've tried out guitars from Godin, Seagull, Norman, and Art & Lutherie, and would have zero qualms about buying a Richmond online...and in fact, I'm planning on doing pretty much that if I can't find one locally.

http://www.jimlaabsmusic.com/index....&productId=6657
http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-Empi...n+Empire+guitar

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: