Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Venpresath

Help! I need an amp!

Now, here's my dilemma... I pawned off just about every bit of musical gear I owned to buy an ESP MII (WORTH IT!!!!) and I need to buy a new amp. I'm buying a good analog distortion pedal by T.C. Electronics called the Rottweiler (Also awesome!)

I need an amp that's lightweight, under 50 pounds, Combo, has a lot of headroom, can handle pedals well (no exceptions to this. I don't want a bunch of people replying to this telling me that I should just buy an amp and use the distortion on that instead) and can handle its own in a jam session against a drummer that should probably swap out his drum heads and cymbals every 10 minutes due to how hard he beats them lol

Open to suggestions up to $1000 dollars!

I've no idea what I should do!
Venpresath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I do but you've already said I'm not allowed to say what I think you should do.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Venpresath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I do but you've already said I'm not allowed to say what I think you should do.

What benefit would it have over a good distortion pedal?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
gerraguitar

with such a high budget check out the Deluxe reverb, if your sound comes from pedals then you can't really beat a fender for a platform
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
gerraguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Venpresath

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraguitar
with such a high budget check out the Deluxe reverb, if your sound comes from pedals then you can't really beat a fender for a platform

I'd take heed. But, I never really cared much for fender amps... and I think it'd be kinda goofy playing stuff like this: out of a fender deluxe reverb!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
gerraguitar

alright then i guess you'd better give us the ever so popular UG list of info people need to help you find the right one.

Budget/Style/Current gear/location/whatever else
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:

Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venpresath
What benefit would it have over a good distortion pedal?

depends on the exact sounds you're after, but assuming you play what i think you play (considering you have an esp MII), it'd basically have the benefit of sounding (and as importantly, feeling) way, way better. IMO.

what stuff do you mainly play?

Quote:
I'd take heed. But, I never really cared much for fender amps... and I think it'd be kinda goofy playing stuff like this: out of a fender deluxe reverb!

well sure, but i mean you're the one who said you wanted to use pedals and not to suggest distortion-orientated amps.

I mean if i said I wanted recommendations on shoes to wear for a wedding but said I only like trainers/sneakers, and then someone came along and suggested a pair of sneakers/trainers, I could hardly turn round and say, "But I'd feel a bit silly wearing sneakers/trainers to a wedding!"

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 01-15-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
depends on the exact sounds you're after, but assuming you play what i think you play (considering you have an esp MII), it'd basically have the benefit of sounding (and as importantly, feeling) way, way better. IMO.

what stuff do you mainly play?

x2.

I don't even want to help you TS. Your aren't very open to opinions. Hopefully you can tell us what type of music you play so we can suggest a good amp that doesn't suck(and may take a pedals well- this way you can see the error of your ways)

What type of music are you playing? List some similar examples please.

What part of the world are you located in? What is the largest city close to you?

Last edited by R45VT : 01-15-2013 at 12:19 PM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Fisheth24
UG's only Dean user

New Power Metal band I've never heard of?

Awesome.

Just based on that alone, I think looking at ENGL, Marshall's and (obviously) the Peavey stuff.

But TS why don't you want an amp that can do it right off the bat? Instead of using a non suitable amp and a distortion pedal that IMO would sound flat and fizzy?

Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
woad_yurt

An Ultralinear Twin would be great if you use pedals for your sound. It's just a really powerful clean platform. They'll stay clean and get very, very loud, as loud as you want. I know someone who does metal through one using a bunch of pedals. It sounds great and he has enough wattage to play anywhere.

Last edited by woad_yurt : 01-15-2013 at 12:28 PM.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
gerraguitar

Quote:
I mean if i said I wanted recommendations on shoes to wear for a wedding but said I only like trainers/sneakers, and then someone came along and suggested a pair of sneakers/trainers, I could hardly turn round and say, "But I'd feel a bit silly wearing sneakers/trainers to a wedding!"

HA! Funny stuff Dave!
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:

Old 01-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #13
Venpresath

Quote:

Hilarious hahaha

Um... I guess you could say I play stuff that'd be reminiscent of 'Yngwie if he used a triple rectifier instead of a marshall' type stuff. Also, lots of Progressive metal.

Stratovarius, Circus Maximus, Symphony X, Hibria, Iron Maiden, Iron Mask, Yngwie, Etc.

I guess that the main reason that I want to keep it simple is that I probably won't have the amp for too long since I'll be traveling and I want to keep the costs to do so as low as possible. (unless it was a SUPER good amp that I just absolutely couldn't part with...)
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

ah ok. i mean if you have a good reason for not wanting to spend too much, that's absolutely fair enough. but for $1000 (assuming you're still willing to spend that) there are amps that'll do the tones you want out of the box (or at least just with an od boost pedal) which will probably do what you want better.

granted if you think you might have to get rid of it later a fender might have better resale, which would be worth keeping in mind.

it's up to you, really.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
Venpresath

Quote:
ah ok. i mean if you have a good reason for not wanting to spend too much, that's absolutely fair enough. but for $1000 (assuming you're still willing to spend that) there are amps that'll do the tones you want out of the box (or at least just with an od boost pedal) which will probably do what you want better.

granted if you think you might have to get rid of it later a fender might have better resale, which would be worth keeping in mind.

it's up to you, really.

The fender, you definitely have a good point. Lately I've been looking at the ZT lunchbox amps. They're extremely small, about 200W, pretty cheap, super lightweight, and infinitely tweakable! But... I'm also checking out some Mesa .22's and a few other tube amps right now. I'm so confused on what to get still :/
Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #16
Robbgnarly

For what you want, a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 would be great. I like some good PM and when I think PM I always think Marshall boosted to hell.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #17
godgrinder

Quote:
The fender, you definitely have a good point. Lately I've been looking at the ZT lunchbox amps. They're extremely small, about 200W, pretty cheap, super lightweight, and infinitely tweakable! But... I'm also checking out some Mesa .22's and a few other tube amps right now. I'm so confused on what to get still :/

I have the ZT Lunchbox and it sounds pretty decent for what it is. If you insist on using the Rottweiler as your distortion source then I guess some light, decent sounding solid state amp with lots of headroom/wattage like the Lunchbox should be alright for you. It could easily fit into your bag/luggage when you travel. The 6.5" speaker doesn't have the best low end response but you could hook it to a 4x12" or something when you are at rehearsal.

But like many of the previous posts said, if you are really willing to spend $1000 you can get an amp with good, actual tube distortion.
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115

Last edited by godgrinder : 01-17-2013 at 09:06 AM.
godgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #18
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

if you want something compact, light, versatile, will take pedals, even has an effect return... how about a tweaker 15 combo? the cleans are pretty good and it will do just about everything and take pedals for extra, and they're like $600 new, if you could score one used then it will probably do you nicely

here's a used one at GC (therefore warranty and cover etc.) at $400
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...350-i2721492.gc
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
(a) The fender, you definitely have a good point. Lately I've been looking at the ZT lunchbox amps. They're extremely small, about 200W, pretty cheap, super lightweight, and infinitely tweakable! (b) But... I'm also checking out some Mesa .22's and a few other tube amps right now. I'm so confused on what to get still :/

(a) never tried them, so can't help you with those

(b) yeah it can get confusing very quickly. the main thing is, if you don't know what to do- don't rush it. You have plenty of time, go to some guitar shops if you can and try some things out.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
Venpresath

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABarrie
if you want something compact, light, versatile, will take pedals, even has an effect return... how about a tweaker 15 combo? the cleans are pretty good and it will do just about everything and take pedals for extra, and they're like $600 new, if you could score one used then it will probably do you nicely

I've been eyeballing those quite a bit lately! They do look promising, but I think I'm trying to find a "do-all" amp that I can use at home, take to practice, then gig with when need be! Do you think 15W would be enough?

Rate This Thread: