Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
jcramer5150

Floyd Rose bridge, buzzing problem

I'm sure someone could answer this question simply, but my guitar has a floyd rose and I play in flat tuning and I have a lot of fret buzz, but I want to keep my action low for easy playability. What is the solution to this (something to try before trying to install a shim under the saddles...)?? Google search hasn't helped me much. I've been playing for about 6 years but dont know crap about guitar tech and I think its about time i start learning. Thanks.
jcramer5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

The usual answer is to use a heavier gauge string for low tunings. The only downside to that is that in regular tuning(E standard), the strings might be too tight for your liking. And using heavier gauge strings tuned to E standard means you'll need more spring tension on the Floyd so you might need to add another springs. Plus, it will make the trem more stiff.

The other option is to raise the action by raising the posts that hold the Floyd in place. I suggest loosening the string tension before doing that.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
jcramer5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
The usual answer is to use a heavier gauge string for low tunings. The only downside to that is that in regular tuning(E standard), the strings might be too tight for your liking. And using heavier gauge strings tuned to E standard means you'll need more spring tension on the Floyd so you might need to add another springs. Plus, it will make the trem more stiff.

The other option is to raise the action by raising the posts that hold the Floyd in place. I suggest loosening the string tension before doing that.

Raise them by about how much do you think?? Thanks!
jcramer5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: