Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Zaek1

How to learn? Where to begin?

(If this is in the wrong place, I'm terrible sorry!)
(If I'm breaking any rules that I've missed, please let me know.)
Hello good (and bad) people of Ultimate-Guitar.com!

EDIT: Hm, making this post+video gave me some clarity, maybe all I needed was to ask myself the right questions

I'm Zaek, and I suck at the guitar, I've been trying to play for almost a year now!
Eventually, I figured out that this was quite hard to play (to play well.)
However, I've absolutely fallen in love with the instrument, so, I decided that my long-term goal in life is to become half as good as Buckethead.

Anyway, as I venture on the internet, through this site, through all kinds of sites, all kinds of material, all kinds of videos, I find myself getting just.. so overwhelmed.

I don't even know were to begin, who and what I should listen to. etc.

I've read it's a very good idea to have a practice schedule and stick to it. Obviously I can see the benefits from that, I just can't seem to be able to make one. As, honestly, I have no idea what I should / could learn. (Maybe due to overwhelmingly amount of things to learn, people to learn it from and so on.)

Maybe the problem is that I want to learn everything, and thus end up learning nothing.

The #1 thing to do would probably to get a proper teacher, but sadly I live in a tiny place, without such things as guitar teachers, I don't even know anyone here who plays guitar at all!

Question 1. If given the proper input from me, could anyone who has an organized mind help me figure out a practice schedule? - I'm well aware my head is a mess, and structure is not something I'm very used to.

(I can probably provide a tiny
show
amount of money if you would bother trying! + It would mean a lot to me, and you're more likely to go to heaven, he-he.)

Question 2. I want to learn theory. What do you guys recommend as a good source, for doing so? - Again, there are so many things and or sources to chose from.

Question 3. On those days, I have nothing to do, I tend to play guitar all day, pratice, trying to play songs, play around with chords, etcetc, just generally have fun, then after a long day ~6-7 hours of guitaring, I'll go to bed, thinking "****, I'll never learn this instrument" - But then the motivation and desire comes back the next day. Can anyone relate to this? - Is this a normal feeling when learning guitar (or things in general?

Question 4. I want to learn to transcribe. I'm going to try to see Justin Sandercoe's technique for doing this.
Has anyone ..done what he's on about and had, well, success?

As I'm writing this straight out of things that I can think of, I might have to edit it later on to add more questions. I'm sure I would have found good answers from searching around the web, but I'm also sure that would lead to 32401240 distractions, and then I'd get overloaded with fragments of bits and pieces of information from all kinds of sources.

Additional information
My guitars are as follows
1. Morgan Stratocaster (Yes, a cheap strat copy.)
2. Ibanez GRG 170DX BKN (That's a Ibanez GIO. And yeah, it does go out of tune when I look at the tremolo.)

Probably no point in mentioning this, but the amps are
1. Cheap tiny Morgan thing.
2. Fender Mustang III

If you've read through all of this, even if you don't reply, and think I'm just a mindless zombie who should grow a brain on his own, I thank you for your attention. :-)

As an end to this wall of text, I'd like to say that I'm going to learn this instrument, even if it takes me 50 years.

--Zaek

Last edited by Zaek1 : 01-15-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Zaek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
racertj5
Wannabe Guitar God

All I can say is to go to Justinguitar.com site is amazing
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
racertj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

As for the input thingy, I suggest you could make a video of yourself playing guitar, showcasing a good summary of your current abilities. That way we know what you are capable of, and it's also much easier to point out mistakes that way and/or to give advice.

Also.. Ever considered getting a teacher ? Just curious, because that's definitely something to consider in the early stages of playing guitar.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Zaek1

Thank you both very much for your replies!

racertj5: Duly noted. I shall focus more energy onto that site. (It's just easy to get sidetracked)

My Last Words:
Hm, yeah, I'll get right on that!

As for the teacher thing, let me quote myself (I mean that in the most humble way, there are no negative undertones here!)

Quote:
The #1 thing to do would probably to get a proper teacher, but sadly I live in a tiny place, without such things as guitar teachers, I don't even know anyone here who plays guitar at all!

Unless you mean a teacher over the internet. Where do I find one? :-)

I've been looking into jamplay, purely for Kris Norris, might try that eventually.

Anyway, will upload video of what I can do as soon as possible. (Probably within the evening)

Again, thank you very much for your replies, any word of advice is like gold to me
Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
mark.bark
Laugh often and sleep in

Do you use a translator? or do you take alot of E's? There are many sites that have online lessons and teachers, one i know of is www.guitarmasterclass.net i used the free lessons on it for a while, then you know enough of the basics to let you branch out on your own!
mark.bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
mark.bark
Laugh often and sleep in

Come to think of it, there are many many lessons on this site aswell
mark.bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Zaek1

Thank you for answering Mark.

No, I do not use a translator. Why?

E as in, ecstacy? - I've tried MDMA once. However, I'm not sure how that's of any relevance.

Unless you're suggesting that I seem to be unable to look up places to learn from. :-)

In which case, I think I've mentioned something about it being a very overwhelming amount of things to chose from, so I drown in information, before I really can see a logical starting point in my journey. But I have understood there are not exactly any "A->B" paths in guitaring, because it's a never ending journey.

I just need to find a good place to start building my arsenal. If that makes sense to you :-)
Old 01-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
Zaek1

Edit: removed this post. because the video was just very depressing and embarrassing.

Last edited by Zaek1 : 01-15-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
demonhellcat

I second the justinguitar.com site that somebody else mentioned. I'll give my critique on the video but please realize I'm nothing special, mostly a rhythm player and a wannabe lead player, definitely not a shredder.

I think the most important thing you need to work on is right hand technique and general rhythm. Do you play along with the songs your learning? If not, start attempting to do that with the simpler stuff/riffs such as Smoke on the Water and Whole Lotta Love, and tap your foot along with it as well... it helps a lot. Once you know a few chords (sounds like you know power chords) try some basic rhythm guitar strumming stuff (Green Day, Nirvana, etc.).

The left hand will come with time and honestly it sounds like your left hand is ahead of your right at this point. My only left hand critique is you need to really use your ear when bending as each bend is intended to hit a specific note (be it a whole step or a half step up from where it starts).

Last edited by demonhellcat : 01-15-2013 at 05:51 PM.
demonhellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
demonhellcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaek1
Edit: removed this post. because the video was just very depressing and embarrassing.

Dude, the video was fine. If you want the free help offered here that is the best way to get specific advice. Keep playing, don't get discouraged, I don't think anyone here is going to beat you up over a video.
demonhellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
Zaek1

Thank you for your answers! - And thank you for your kind words!

Meh, I removed the video because I'm actually scared of getting flamed. I realise this is a nice place, in general, but one never knows! - Plus, I CAN play things better than that.

I can play slightly more steady than that. I was excited and nervous, never played for anyone before, and a camera makes me a bit uncomfortable.

I'll upload a proper video at some point, that I spend a bit more time trying to show were my current limitations actually are.

I play along sometimes! - I should probably do that more often!

After I had written all of this, made the video, and read over it a few times, I sat here, thinking, "How hard can it be to make a structured plan of what I'm gonna practice"

So, now I'm trying to figure out how to build a decent looking practice schedule in Word. (What distractions?)

Might post it here when I'm done!

Thanks to everyone who read my long wall of text :-)
Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
Rotschefeller

I've played a few hours a day for 10 years now. I wouldn't worry about a strict schedule unless you are a kind of person that absolutely NEEDs one. I typically will play for 30 minutes or so between other activites, and that adds up quickly.

For theory I would start with basic Major/minor scales, and basic chord structure, and branch out from there.

Question 3: Don't put yourself down. I've played a lot for 10 years and I have good and bad days. Just play for fun and you will get better, don't stress over becoming the worlds best guitarist ASAP. Improvement just comes, slowly most of the time.

As for transcribing I have no good tips. I learned it through trial and error with computer programs like guitar pro transcribing my own music and others which i had figured out by ear. It worked but there is surely a much better way.

Just don't give up and have as much fun as possible are my best tips.
Rotschefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Dude, no one will flame you. You're looking for technique advice, any who flames you for that is a dick.

I've put videos up, people give me advice and then I take the relevant advice. I even have a teacher but you know, I pay for those lessons and sometimes I have crappy questions that I don't want to embarrass myself asking him about, so people here answer them for me,because they're friendly and they won't tell me off like my teacher does .

If you put that video back up in the technique thread at the top of the last page you'll get some friendly advice.

Justinguitar is great. I would suggest getting a teacher, maybe online is an idea if you really have no one local, I'm not sure what the general thought is on it though.

I like your posting style, it's fun!

Where are you from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-15-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
InfiniStudent

Quote:
I go to bed, thinking "****, I'll never learn this instrument" - But then the motivation and desire comes back the next day.

Most people learning guitar feel this way.
The fact is is that playing Guitar is a HUGE, complex puzzle.
If you look at all the pieces all scattered about on the floor, that is exactly the natural reaction, "Oh F'k!@# How am I ever going to put all that together."
Many just give up right there. BUT...
Quote:
However, I've absolutely fallen in love with the instrument

Those who fall in love, just look for a border piece and start snapping pieces together knowing that over time, it WILL come together and when it does it is SO Worth it.

Most people desire to be really GOOD and they think that is what is fun. But many experienced guitarists, looking back realize that a LOT of the fun was the bitter-sweet/sometimes frustrating journey of growth itself.

So being Good should not be your (short-term) Goal, let go, and just focus on learning guitar (like a new Lover) - in doing so you will find that you become Good anyway

I would HIGHLY recommend Doug Marks - Metal Method (Complete Basic Course)
It does a really good job of giving you the Big picture and helping you get a "well rounded education/foundation" - He covers everything from chord progressions, to technique, to modes/theory, to licks - it's (almost) all there (Sweep picking isn't)

If you want structure, lessons, lesson goals, and things presented in a progressing manner this is a really nice place for "One Stop Shopping"

Then when you get your foundation down, you can more effectively use the scattered tidbits and fragments on YouTube and the internet.

Happy Jammin!
InfiniStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
MaaZeus

From beginner to other, aside from theory I recommend you get Guitar Pro program and start downloading tabs of your favourite songs here in UG. Such a fantastic tool for learning to just play comfortably because you can play along the songs (it plays the tabs with midi instruments) or parts of it in repeat at any speed you want. Its so much fun and satisfying when you actually manage to pull out a complex riff multiple times a row, cleanly in full speed after hours/days of grinding.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 01-16-2013 at 02:00 PM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
Zaek1

Thank you very much for the replies guys! - They're much appreciated!
(I know I'm thanking a lot, but I really am very thankful!)

MaaZeus: I've got Tuxguitar, but haven't really used it all that much. But playing along to it never even crossed my mind! Thank you for the tip man! :-)
Tuxguitar is as far as I know a free, open source alternative to Guitar pro!

InfiniStudent: Oh, good! I wasn't sure if I just had an extremely unstable level of confidence or if this was normal!
This is by far the hardest / most time consuming thing I've ever tried to learn.
I will look into Doug Marks, however, Justin Sandercoe does seems to have a quite a big playground, and somewhat of a un-direct path. So, if I can't get what I think I need from Justin, I'll most likely have to buy that / Those!
Thank you very much for your insight!

Mephaphil: I'll put up a proper video soon enough, now that I've seen that this is indeed a friendly environment!
I'll have to look around a bit, to see if I can find a teacher online. :-)
What? My.. posting style? I was not aware I had a posting style!
And I'm from Norway, more precisely a tiny island in Norway, with about 600 people.

Rotschefeller: I tend to do similar things, but the playing I'm able to do feels so limited, I can alternate between 10 chords for half an hour, just because its fun, then I'll have some kind of desire to evolve my abilities, but I'm not thinking about a really strict schedule, just listing things I want to learn, and a minimum amount of time to spend on them!
If you're interested, so far I've got:

1. Rhythm
2. Dexterity
3. Pinch harmonics
4. Tapping (Less important, but still fun)
5. Bends
6. Proper slides
7. Arpeggios (Research this more.)
8. More scales!
9. More chords!
10. Vibrato (tremolo, finger, and bend-up-downs)
11. Find at least one new song per month to learn.
12. Learn a whole ****ing song.

That's just my own notes about things I want to learn. :-)
Thank you for your words and insight!

Sorry about going slightly off-topic, this is a technique sub-forum!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #17
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Oh, and last but not least:

There will be blood (not literally, well, I hope not)
There will be nights when you go to bed (I've had plenty so far) thinking to yourself in despair: "Ill never progress with this instrument!" and things like that.

I mean that there will be frustration - loads of it - (unless you have an extremely positive mindset to begin with). But, don't worry: Every single serious musician had these feelings, and it's probably the no.1 reason why alot of people give up.
The solution ?

Capital P Capital R Capital A Capital C Capital T Capital I Capital C Capital E!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil

I like your posting style, it's fun!

+1

Last edited by My Last Words : 01-16-2013 at 06:59 PM.
My Last Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #18
dietermoreno

Quote:

Maybe the problem is that I want to learn everything, and thus end up learning nothing.
--Zaek

Yes, that would be your problem.

Start simple.

Guys tell me if this is a good order to learn things. I am currently at steps (25), (26), (27), (28), (29), and (30).

In order:
(1) Learn how to tune a guitar.

(2) Learn how to use a guitar amp.

(3) Learn how to play basic chords.

(4) Learn how to play power chords.

(5) Learn how to play barre chords.

(6) Learn how to play chords with down strokes.

(7) Learn how to play chords with up strokes.

(8) Learn how to arpegiate chords.

(9) Learn how to play major scale with down strokes.

(10) Learn how to play minor scale with down strokes.

(11) Learn how to play pentatonic scale with down strokes.

(12) Learn how to play major scale with alternate picking.

(13) Learn how to play minor scale with alternate picking.

(14) Learn how to play pentatonic scale with alternate picking.

(15) Play pentatonic scale along with your favorite bands like Stevie Ray Vaughn, Led Zeppelin, black Sabath, and AC/DC. Fail massively. Try again later.

(16) Learn what palm muting is and learn what syncorporation is.

(17) Learn what tapping is. Learn to play Erruption.

(18) Learn to play pentatonic scale like those bands try again.

(19) Learn how to play harmonic minor scale (Phrygian Dominant mode) with alternate picking.

(20) Learn how to play melodic minor scale (Dorian mode) with alternate picking.

(21) Learn how to play natural minor scale (Aeoleon mode) with alternate picking.

(22) Learn what sweep picking is. Attempt and fail massively so at least you have attempted it so you know what it is and how hard it is. Give up until later.

(23) Attempt to follow along with the modes played by your favorite bands like Avenged Sevenfold. Attempt and fail massively.

(24) Learn what cross picking is. Attempt and fail massively.

(25) Get better at cross picking.

(26) Learn more scale theory instead of looking at tabs for scales.

(27) Try to follow along again with modes with your favorite bands like Avenged Sevenfold.

(28) Learn how to record yourself on guitar. Now you sound okay enough to bother uploading to your YouTube channel. Fail massively in render settings and radio interference in recording.

(29) buy an audio interface and mixer. Learn more about video render settings. Try again. Fail massively.

(30) Learn how YouTube works so what are best video render settings.

(31) THE FINAL STEP: Learn sweep picking.

Edit: an assumed prerequiste is learn how to wear your guitar strap correctly or you won't be able to do cross picking or sweep picking or tapping.

Last edited by dietermoreno : 01-16-2013 at 07:03 PM.
dietermoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #19
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietermoreno

Guys tell me if this is a good order to learn things.
(22) Learn what sweep picking is. Attempt and fail massively so at least you have attempted it so you know what it is and how hard it is. Give up until later.

Why would you give up ? Especially a thing like sweeping doesn't come over night.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
dietermoreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
Why would you give up ? Especially a thing like sweeping doesn't come over night.

I mean because n00bs think sweeping is easy and think it can be learned fast so they should try it and fail at it so they see how hard it is and how long it will take to learn how to do it.
dietermoreno is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: