Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #21
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

I'm 26... I was on Napster when I was 12.

Justify free music.... Hmmmm... That's a tough one.

Things were going great for Napster way back back in day; Before Metallica got involved.
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
treborillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #22
AmalgamOfMeat
Naw

I very rarely do it, and I never download anything I would have bought otherwise, because I'm a cheapskate. It's wrong, but not really in any meaningful way.
AmalgamOfMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #23
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

I only download off YouTube bootlegs of live shows and stuff they don't release here, like that Slash's Snakepit second Album, Ain't Life Grand -- It came out, I was young, I never bought it, then for some reason, I can't buy it in England anymore -- Tried to buy it from America online this one time in college and the freaking sale fell through due to publishing or some b/s.
I download the HELL out of that album.
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #24
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by treborillusion
I only download off YouTube bootlegs of live shows and stuff they don't release here, like that Slash's Snakepit second Album, Ain't Life Grand -- It came out, I was young, I never bought it, then for some reason, I can't buy it in England anymore -- Tried to buy it from America online this one time in college and the freaking sale fell through due to publishing or some b/s.
I download the HELL out of that album.

Moral of the story; If you won't sell it to me, I'm still going to have it.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #25
Ian_the_fox
Bark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
Well, my iPod would cost thousands of dollars to fill with music purchased legally, and there's no way I'd be spending that much money I don't have on music, regardless of whether or not there were a free alternative.
"I don't have the money to buy something I don't even need, therefore I'm just going to steal it."

Yeah, great argument there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
why did ian cross the road?

his dick was stuck in the chicken
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
opc100
UG's Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
"I don't have the money to buy something I don't even need, therefore I'm just going to steal it."

This is the argument that pisses me off the most.

I torrent most of my music, but I do it safe in the knowledge that it's wrong. Free stuff is better than not free stuff though and, because I can't see any of the adverse effects of committing this crime, I don't feel guilty. People should just admit this
Old 01-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #27
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

I pay Spotify to stream the music they've got.

And I have my illegal downloads here, in various different forms... Old hard drives/mp3 players, burnt cds/Xboxs ect... I don't download anymore. I stream.

And also, I'm on PRS and I do tell them about covers so for example, if something I made makes 5.00 one day, they get the money, not me.

Last edited by treborillusion : 01-18-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #28
spitonastranger
Kinski Assassin

Quote:

Wow that's totally the crux of that argument dumbass.

His 'stealing' isn't hurting anyone in and of itself, it would only hurt the artist if he was downloading it instead of buying it which he's just said is not the case.
spitonastranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #29
pugachev

My justification is 99% of the stuff I illegally download wouldn't have been bought in the first place. That said, I haven't torrented anything in a long while. When it comes to movies and music I prefer a physical copy with all the artwork and such for my collection. Also, I don't watch anything less than bluray quality unless it can't be found in bluray.
pugachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #30
captainsnazz
wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
I've torrented more music production than you could shake a stick at. Must be getting on for $50,000 worth of stuff just for production. Wouldn't be on my Uni course studying for the career I want to have if I didn't.

This is a pretty good point actually. Similarly, I would never have ended up on my course if I hadn't pirated Logic Pro and all the other software I used illegally until recently. I simply could never have afforded it. I actually still haven't bought Logic, but I have bought plenty of other things and when version 10 comes out I will.
I almost never pirate music nowadays, simply because I have Spotify premium, and it's so rare that I come across something that I want that isn't on there that I can afford to buy it all. I'm quite a fan of the kickstarter/indiegogo thing, e.g. Protest the Hero's plan for funding their latest album.

As for the justification that it isn't stealing.. Let's put it like this instead: sure, you're just duplicating the software or music itself, and that wouldn't be stealing if it wasn't for the nature of licensing. It's easier to think about if you imagine there being a pile of infinite licenses, and by duplicating the software and getting it to work without paying for it you are stealing one of those licenses, because it's the creator's decision who they give those licenses to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnkenneth
Dubstep: It's a combination of Dub music and Step music

Ego Sig
captainsnazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #31
cptcomet
Band

You can't justify it.

But I buy most music second hand so the artist doesn't see the money that way either.

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
cptcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #32
willT08
SM58 beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
This is a pretty good point actually.

It's not a point I'm using to try and justify myself, it's just an observation. I'm not entitled to be a music teacher, or go to Uni at all, but I wouldn't have been able to do it without torrenting.

Not that it justifies torrenting as a whole, but it can give working-class kids the opportunity to get involved with all kinds of Media based careers which they otherwise wouldn't be able to
willT08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #33
opc100
UG's Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
As for the justification that it isn't stealing.. Let's put it like this instead: sure, you're just duplicating the software or music itself, and that wouldn't be stealing if it wasn't for the nature of licensing. It's easier to think about if you imagine there being a pile of infinite licenses, and by duplicating the software and getting it to work without paying for it you are stealing one of those licenses, because it's the creator's decision who they give those licenses to.

Or you could just put it like this; it's theft, deal with it.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #34
ErikLensherr
Vintage Edition

Quote:

The argument is it ain't wrong if it ain't hurting anybody, which it ain't cuz I ain't buying that shit anyway.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #35
Mr.-Bungle
Mr. Bungle

Cost average here:
CD - $10 - $30.
DVD/BR - $40
Game - $100-120
Cinema ticket - $18 - $26.
Concert ticket - $120>

The price of downloading all that for free and more?

Priceless.
Mr.-Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #36
willT08
SM58 beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.-Bungle
Cost average here:
CD - $10 - $30.
DVD/BR - $40
Game - $100-120
Concert ticket - $120>

Priceless.

What the hell Australia why is everything so expensive? A game should cost no more than 45 currencies, a Cinema ticket no more than 12 and jesus, a gig should only be like 20 unless it's a stadium show of some massive band. I mean, I've been to Wembley Arena for 25 for feck sake.
willT08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #37
WCPhils
#philamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.-Bungle
Cost average here:
CD - $10 - $30.
DVD/BR - $40
Game - $100-120
Concert ticket - $120>

Priceless.

wtf? That's double of what everything would cost here

Check out my...

YouTube
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #38
stratkat
IWTCIRD

I steal programs to make music, then people steal my music.

It's a trickle down process.

I'll pay for software when it's a reasonable investment, I'm only making maybe 50 bucks a month, and half of that is from streaming on rhapsody and spotify.

Also the majority of things that are pirated, and things that wouldn't have been paid for either way, so the company or whoever isn't losing any profit.

animelist

Last edited by stratkat : 01-18-2013 at 09:53 AM.
stratkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #39
Cianyx
dip i dip u dip dip i dip

A gig here doesn't cost $120. Like not even close. Movie tickets are about 18 bucks for an adult, but students typically pay significantly less. And games do not cost $100-$120. I don't even know what sort of games you are buying.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #40
Ian_the_fox
Bark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
The argument is it ain't wrong if it ain't hurting anybody, which it ain't cuz I ain't buying that shit anyway.
You hurt the [honest, paying] consumer.

The whole reason music and software are at the high prices they're sold at is to make up for the amount they lose from people like you who chose pirate everything.

Regardless of what's right or wrong, music on an iPod is inferior to hearing it on vinyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
why did ian cross the road?

his dick was stuck in the chicken
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: