Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #41
Lord_Doku
ancient bass

I've got a shitton of music that I haven't paid for.

I'd buy the vinyl if I had a record player though, for which I have never had room in either my bedroom or my wallet.

The thing with justifying it though, is that everyone's sense of justice is different. To me, pirating is harmless since you're duplicating a production, you're not stealing it. What you ARE stealing is a license, no more than a bundle of words fitting snugly in the copyright laws, something so silly sounding that I refuse to pay for it 'less the benefits outweigh the phoney.
To somebody else, pirating is the foundation of internet crime. To yet another, pirating is the modern day equivalent of a holy grail.
What I believe however, is that most people simply don't care. Music is a free handout on the internet-market, and you can't blame the market dwellers for taking the opportunity. Only the people offering it.
Lord_Doku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #42
anvil is god
can't do enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_whiteknight

Regardless of what's right or wrong, music on an iPod is inferior to hearing it on vinyl.

Get decent headphones and lossless files. Then tell me that vinyl is better with all of its crackling.

last.fm
anvil is god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #43
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
I do it, but if it's like music or a game that i really enjoy i will buy it.

I torrent mainly because i have no money to buy all that stuff, but i'm not justifying it, and i don't feel like i should.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #44
willT08
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Regardless of what's right or wrong, music on an iPod is inferior to hearing it on vinyl.

Depends...if you're loading up on .wav's then there's no real difference anyway. Except obviously the massive difference that people who love vinyl seem to hear that doesn't exist to the rest of us.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #45
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvil is god
Get decent headphones and lossless files. Then tell me that vinyl is better with all of its crackling.
Don't treat your records like Frisbees and there is no crackling, for the most part.

And lol @ "headphones". Man, you're really missing out at life aren't you.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #46
ErikLensherr
Star-Splitter

Quote:
You hurt the [honest, paying] consumer.

The whole reason music and software are at the high prices they're sold at is to make up for the amount they lose from people like you who chose pirate everything.

Hasn't the average price of CDs actually gone down because of pirating? When I was a kid I remember them regularly being $20 and now even new releases are like $10 at Target.

edit: unless that's a gay thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
I am fairly cliterate with my hands and mouth.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #47
willT08
Banned

Quote:
Don't treat your records like Frisbees and there is no crackling, for the most part.

Ian, 'headphones' is not a good topic for trolling. I can see from here that this thread is gonna go to pot because of you within the next half hour.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #48
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
Hasn't the average price of CDs actually gone down because of pirating? When I was a kid I remember them regularly being $20 and now even new releases are like $10 at Target.

Erm...no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #49
anvil is god
can't do enough

Quote:

>implying that headphones are bad
>implying vinyl doesn't wear out after a while
lel

last.fm
Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #50
ErikLensherr
Star-Splitter

edit: unless that's a gay thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
I am fairly cliterate with my hands and mouth.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #51
willT08
Banned

I haven't noticed any change in CD prices in my life. Always been in and around a tenner from what i can recall
Old 01-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #52
WCPhils
UG Addict

Quote:

I'm not gonna argue that that will sound better than vinyl, but none of my vinyl crackles

You just have to not treat them like shit.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #53
anvil is god
can't do enough

A lot of my vinyl is my dads from the 70's, so that doesn't help me. Also, I've had brand new albums that pop.

last.fm
Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #54
captainsnazz
pigeon~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc100
Or you could just put it like this; it's theft, deal with it.

Look, I'm on your side, but just because you believe you're morally in the right, it doesn't give you the right to simplify the issue and dismiss arguments just to make the debate easier for you.
Your friend probably is just trying to justify it to make himself feel better, but if you really want to think about it (and I presume you do, since you made this thread), you should consider the argument he's putting forward, because it is actually a good one.
Some Swedish guy wrote a paper about it: http://lup.lub.lu.se/luur/download?...fileOId=2158125
It's pretty tl;dr but chapter 1 makes some points that have some logical basis.

Edit: Oh great, Ian is here. Abandon thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
If they didn't want to be objectified they shouldn't have been little sluts.

Ego Sig

Last edited by captainsnazz : 01-18-2013 at 10:06 AM.
captainsnazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #55
Cianyx
UG Nerd

Quote:
The argument is it ain't wrong if it ain't hurting anybody, which it ain't cuz I ain't buying that shit anyway.

This argument only works against companies suing you an exorbitant amount for "loss sales". Even if you weren't going to buy it in the first place doesn't mean that you didn't knowingly breach the creator's requests.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #56
Dylan_86

I do it and i don't feel bad about it at all. The only ones really missing out on the money are the record company...most musicians make shit all from album sales. They make most of their money from touring and merchandise and i often go to see bands that i like live so i'm giving them more money buying their tickets or shirts to gigs than i would if bought a shitty cd. Having said that i still buy a lot of old second hand vinyl which supports good record stores and also new releases on vinyl from artists i really like.
Dylan_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #57
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
Ian, 'headphones' is not a good topic for trolling. I can see from here that this thread is gonna go to pot because of you within the next half hour.
I've got nothing against a pair of decent cans (ATH-M50's for example, love those things), I'm just saying listening to music on a good stereo system correctly set up with a good spread is better. It's like the band is actually in your room, performing in front of you (assuming it's a good mix).

I've compared lossless files, CD's, and good-condition vinyl. Vinyl wins hands-down when it comes to quality. Not sure what it is but is has that extra little sprinkle of "life" to it. Unless, of course,
the music was recorded digitally or digitally remastered from the original, which in that case you might as well just be listening to it on CD, as that extra bit of life is "stripped".

Quote:
I'd imagine they'd have to be, being that no one buys CD's anymore (it's a shame) and have resorted to online services. Not that it matters at all, being that the music industry has been going downhill as of recent.

But look at software: do you really think Pro Tools is worth $600? How many people do you know who own it have actually purchased it from their own pocket?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #58
willT08
Banned

Quote:
I've got nothing against a pair of decent cans (ATH-M50's for example, love those things), I'm just saying listening to music on a good stereo system correctly set up with a good spread is better. It's like the band is actually in your room, performing in front of you (assuming it's a good mix).
That's not what you said. What you said was 'lol headphones'...

No one was arguing for headphones over proper stereo systems.

Quote:
I've compared lossless files, CD's,

Well they're the same thing, so well done.

Quote:
and good-condition vinyl. Vinyl wins hands-down when it comes to quality.
Notice that you never define quality.
Quote:
Not sure what it is but is has that extra little sprinkle of "life" to it.
And this section is purely made up/hallucinatory

EDIT: Pro Tools comes with some pretty hefty hardware mate.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #59
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
A lot of my vinyl is my dads from the 70's, so that doesn't help me. Also, I've had brand new albums that pop.
If brand new albums pop, then that's you're own stupid fault. Get a working player with a half-decent stylus. And keep your grubby hands off the grooves.

Learn how to vinyl correctly, FFS.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #60
Johnny_Ibanez
ʎuuɥoſ

My justification for downloading music is that I would be delighted if thousands of people were getting enjoyment from something I created, whether they paid for it or not. Hell, I'd upload the torrent myself. Imagine someone on the other side of the world listening to something that you wrote sat on the end of your bed in your underpants at 3am. That'd be worth more to me than the pennies I'd make on selling them a CD.
Johnny_Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: