Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #61
WCPhils
Banned

I'm slowly trying to buy back everything I've downloaded. Well at least the stuff I like. There was a bunch of shit that I'll never listen to again.

I just pay for Spoitfy to listen to most of my music before I buy it. I'll only download it if I can't find it anywhere else.

As I said earlier, I don't really like people who illegally download games. So many game companies are going out of business. I can't see how someone can justify taking their games for free when a lot of them aren't doing well. I mean THQ just went under. They were pretty damn big.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #62
zomgguitarz1234
Everything you love sucks

I don't do it. The only time I think it's a problem is when it has the potential to harm the person being pirated, like a band getting kicked off a label. People who justify it are ******s.
zomgguitarz1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #63
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Ibanez
My justification for downloading music is that I would be delighted if thousands of people were getting enjoyment from something I created, whether they paid for it or not. Hell, I'd upload the torrent myself. Imagine someone on the other side of the world listening to something that you wrote sat on the end of your bed in your underpants at 3am. That'd be worth more to me than the pennies I'd make on selling them a CD.

But that's the point. The key is music YOU'VE created. If you didn't want to sell YOUR music, you'd release it for free on Bandcamp or the like.

If a band joins a label and sells their music then they are requesting that you pay for their music and they want to make a living from it. You have no right to say that they can't do that, which is effectively what you're doing by taking their music for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #64
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
That's not what you said. What you said was 'lol headphones'...

No one was arguing for headphones over proper stereo systems.
I said "Lol @ 'headphones'" because if you're only listening to your music on phones, no matter how good they are, you're missing out on life. Greatly

Quote:
Well they're the same thing, so well done.
The files, yes. But the means of hooking your computer up to your system in order to play them plays a part. It's meaningless if you're PC has jack-shit for a sound card or you're using shitty Walmart cables.

Quote:
Notice that you never define quality.
And this section is purely made up/hallucinatory

EDIT: Pro Tools comes with some pretty hefty hardware mate.
Honestly, I don't know how to define it. All I can say is, when I listen to live albums, I can just feel the breath going through the microphone, see the faces in the crowd so much better, and get a more realistic experience than just listening to it digitally.

How to put that in technical terms, hell I can't say.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #65
Cianyx
UG Nerd

THQ isn't really going under just not doing splendid. It's a way for them to absolve themselves from debts and try trimming down so really, the filing of chapter 11 is somewhat superficial. If they were really going under, the shitstorm would be a lot bigger. Big publishers ****ed up big time and piracy became a really convenient scapegoat. It's really no wonder why triple a publishers aren't doing well, especially when each of their releases aims to be the next Crysis in terms of specs. On the other hand, there have been a lot of people in gaming that have made a killing like Gabe Newell, notch and other indie devs in the piracy age.

Last edited by Cianyx : 01-18-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Cianyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #66
willT08
Official Classist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
I said "Lol @ 'headphones'" because if you're only listening to your music on phones, no matter how good they are, you're missing out on life. Greatly
Greatly? Really?
You honestly think the process of life is greatly diminished by the wrong choice of medium through which you listen to music? I know you're just saying stupid shit for a rise but I don't even care.

Quote:
The files, yes. But the means of hooking your computer up to your system in order to play them plays a part. It's meaningless if you're PC has jack-shit for a sound card or you're using shitty Walmart cables.
Well nobody's getting out there Commodore to play music. The difference is miniscule most of the time.

Quote:

That'd be because there is no technical difference. Any experiences you think you might have that separate Vinyl from Lossless files on the same system are purely hallucinatory because of your psychological attachment to how you expect Vinyl to sound.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #67
anvil is god
can't do enough

Quote:

Honestly, I don't know how to define it. All I can say is, when I listen to live albums, I can just feel the breath going through the microphone, see the faces in the crowd so much better, and get a more realistic experience than just listening to it digitally.

Obviously, you've never used a decent pair of open cans. I'll take mine over a stereo any day.
Also, cables don't make a difference dipshit.

last.fm
anvil is god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #68
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

I don't care if someone does it, but almost all pro-piracy arguments are basically an elaborate explanation of how they feel they deserve to not pay for shit, which is quite hilarious actually. The self entitlement issues is pretty funny.

You read about something like the Humble Indie Bundle, where you get to pick your price to 1 cent to $100. Majority of people who downloaded this game did it illegally where they didn't feel like the game was even worth a single penny out of their pocket.

Also the whole argument "Well the artist only gets 10% from music sales" doesn't justify it better, now instead of giving them 10%, you're giving them 0%.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #69
WCPhils
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cianyx
THQ isn't really going under just not doing splendid. It's a way for them to absolve themselves from debts and try trimming down so really, the filing of chapter 11 is somewhat superficial. If they were really going under, the shitstorm would be a lot bigger. Big publishers ****ed up big time and piracy became a really convenient scapegoat. It's really no wonder why triple a publishers aren't doing well, especially when each of their releases aims to be the next Crysis in terms of specs. On the other hand, there have been a lot of people in gaming that have made a killing like Gabe Newell, notch and other indie devs in the piracy age.

oh ok, well that's better than I thought for them

And yea, I don't really care if someone wants to torrent CoD or GTA. Whatever, those games will make millions (if not billion) of dollars, but I won't be doing it. But I know guys who will download from all these smaller companies that put out games like The Walking Dead

It's just all "wtf are you doing!?!"

idk, maybe that's just me :/

Last edited by WCPhils : 01-18-2013 at 10:42 AM.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #70
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
Hasn't the average price of CDs actually gone down because of pirating? When I was a kid I remember them regularly being $20 and now even new releases are like $10 at Target.

Idk, it's always been $10 for new releases at places like Target and Best Buy
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #71
Cianyx
UG Nerd

Actually, "not doing splendid" might have been a slight exaggeration on my part. On second thoughts, they're doing pretty bad but not dire, I guess

Anyway, I wouldn't steal any games that are on steam, which kinda means all games that isn't ubisoft or EA. Considering the amount of sales they have, it feels pretty douchey to do so.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #72
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Greatly? Really?
You honestly think the process of life is greatly diminished by the wrong choice of medium through which you listen to music?
Yes. You don't know what it's like to be at a Jethro Tull concert in your bedroom.

Quote:
Well nobody's getting out there Commodore to play music. The difference is miniscule most of the time.
If you're hooking it up via a cheap Walmart 1/8" to RCA cable then the difference is enormous. Even when I use my M-Audio Fast Track (which I don't use for recording anymore) to hook it up, CD's still sound superior.

Quote:
That'd be because there is no technical difference. Any experiences you think you might have that separate Vinyl from Lossless files on the same system are purely hallucinatory because of your psychological attachment to how you expect Vinyl to sound.
Again, it depends on whether or not it was recorded using a DAW or Reel2Reel.

Buying vinyl albums that were recorded or remastered digitally is a waste of time and money, because there was no analog signal to begin with.

Read this: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvil is god
Obviously, you've never used a decent pair of open cans. I'll take mine over a stereo any day.
Try a decent stereo, not one that says "RCA" on the front. Like, a real, high quality stereo, if you even have access to one (which you probably don't, lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvil is god
Also, cables don't make a difference dipshit.

Man, you're mentally ******ed, aren't you?
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #73
metacarpi
Too old for this ****

Quote:

If you're madly obsessed with vinyl, you're missing out on life. Greatly.

Watching: Trailer Park Boys
Listening: Primus - Pork Soda
Playing: Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless-john
I am not a bot but I do think this is the perfect opportunity for you to consider our wide range of luxury designer kitchens.
metacarpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #74
Gantz92

I only listen to old music, and i don't really see any harm in me downloading music by artists that are either long dead or ridicilously wealthy.
Gantz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #75
strait jacket
cuntcuntcuntcuntcuntcunt

I have downloaded stuff in the past but for the most part I buy music and games, my computer's got thousands of dollars worth of music/programs on it and nearly all of it is legal. I just slowly accumulate crap I guess.

Last week I even paid $30 to download music legally off a label's website
strait jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #76
willT08
Official Classist

Quote:
Yes. You don't know what it's like to be at a Jethro Tull concert in your bedroom.
Nor do I want to.

Quote:
If you're hooking it up via a cheap Walmart 1/8" to RCA cable then the difference is enormous. Even when I use my M-Audio Fast Track (which I don't use for recording anymore) to hook it up, CD's still sound superior.
Yes, cheapest of the range cables and soundcards will make a difference. That's why I said 'most' of the time.

Quote:
Again, it depends on whether or not it was recorded using a DAW or Reel2Reel.

Buying vinyl albums that were recorded or remastered digitally is a waste of time and money, because there was no analog signal to begin with.

Read this: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm
No it doesn't.

I study Music Technology and had an exam on Digital Audio 2 days ago. You don't need to link me to stuff. Also, that page is laughable and I shouldn't even have to point out why. That graph is an absolute joke and I notice they don't reference anything.

If you'd like me start pulling excerpts from Roads (1994) and Watkinson (1996) I can.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #77
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Yeah I do it and is wrong

Although I justify it to myself because I have no way to buy anything via the internet therefore I have no way to get most of the stuff I download >_> (I could buy only like 0.01% of that stuff in my city).

There are times where instead of illegally downloading a videogame to play it I just watch a let's play of it on youtube....so I guess it's something...?

We already have "free" access to most stuff in a limited manner; so although piracy is bad, it's not as bad as stealing in the "real world" considering the medium it belongs to.
gonzaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #78
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

You can justify downloading songs/videos if you do it from youtube.

So if you just "happen" to stumble into an illegal video (like a copyrighted song), and you "happen" to download it, then technically you didn't do anything illegal right? The only one doing something "illegal" is the guy uploading the video.
gonzaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #79
due 07
haaan

justifying charging for digital files is much more difficult.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #80
due 07
haaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaw
So if you just "happen" to stumble into an illegal video (like a copyrighted song), and you "happen" to download it, then technically you didn't do anything illegal right? The only one doing something "illegal" is the guy uploading the video.

i assume this post is a joke, but the funny thing about this is that all the anti-filesharing folks no doubt watch illegal videos on youtube, which is literally no different from downloading an album from mediafire as far as ip laws go.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: