User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #81
metacarpi
Too old for this ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
justifying charging for digital files is much more difficult.

Being paid for your work is difficult to justify?

Seems legit.

Watching: Futurama
Listening: Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown
Playing: Watch_Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdof
Yeah, I'm a Racist

100m, 500m, Marathon.... He runs them all!
metacarpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #82
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
No it doesn't.

I study Music Technology and had an exam on Digital Audio 2 days ago. You don't need to link me to stuff. Also, that page is laughable and I shouldn't even have to point out why. That graph is an absolute joke and I notice they don't reference anything.

If you'd like me start pulling excerpts from Roads (1994) and Watkinson (1996) I can.
Please do, I'm interested in hearing more about it.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #83
ali.guitarkid7
A techno beat

Oh my god this thread is full of dumb shit. From self-righteousness to elitism about freaking headphones to sensationalist bullshit about how all the industries are dying of AIDS.

I listen to all my music using 4 year old iPod earphones (the right one isn't as loud as the left, so I think they're broken), I torrent all my music, films, TV shows, software, books and games and I own two albums and three DVDs, all of them gifts. I believe I've had an incredibly fulfilling life - I assume even more so than a lot of users in here - and I think I'm a good human being, regardless of all the shit anyone here's mentioned like how big their dicks are because of their vinyl collection.

But remember that what I say next comes from someone who practically lives on the internet: get your heads out your asses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsmileyface
yeah russia is pretty shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicuh
This is extremely serious.
ali.guitarkid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #84
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Quote:
i assume this post is a joke, but the funny thing about this is that all the anti-filesharing folks no doubt watch illegal videos on youtube, which is literally no different from downloading an album from mediafire as far as ip laws go.

It's a "joke" in the sense that the end product (you having an "illegal" video in your PC) is exactly the same but you can "justify" it as much as you want, since hey you are using a "legal" site and following their rules so you aren't doing anything "wrong" directly.

This whole talk isn't as simple as "yo get music without paying you bad" and there is a lot of ethical and legal shit to wade through that depends on each context and the like.

Also like someone should try creating a theory of ethics and just define what the hell is legal or not legal about pirating once and for all
Nobody even seems to be trying, either the pirating guys half-assedly "justify" it and keep pirating, and the anti-pirating guys just say "it's bad!" and keep suing.
Or rather, the guys that benefit from pirating "justify" it and use it, and the guys that are harmed by pirating say "it's bad!" and keep suing.

It's like if this was ancient prehistoric times or something, because that justification above is like the simplest of all in terms of morality.
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #85
anvil is god
can't do enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Yes. You don't know what it's like to be at a Jethro Tull concert in your bedroom.

If you're hooking it up via a cheap Walmart 1/8" to RCA cable then the difference is enormous. Even when I use my M-Audio Fast Track (which I don't use for recording anymore) to hook it up, CD's still sound superior.

Try a decent stereo, not one that says "RCA" on the front. Like, a real, high quality stereo, if you even have access to one (which you probably don't, lol).

Man, you're mentally ******ed, aren't you?

I've used my friends tube rig to listen to music (The Disintegration Loops) and honestly, it wasn't my favorite. I prefer the soundstage of my cans.
Also, cable doesn't make a difference as long as it has a solid connection. You do know this, right?

last.fm
anvil is god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #86
due 07
haaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by metacarpi
Being paid for your work is difficult to justify?

Seems legit.

in this case it is. just because you put work into something doesn't mean it's easily justifiable to charge people for it. i can bottle up air and sell it to people (but they don't get the bottle--just the air), and most people would think that's dumb. but omg i put work into the bottled air!

no but really, not counting the fixed costs of duplicating files, there's an infinite supply so they're p valueless.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #87
metacarpi
Too old for this ****

Quote:
in this case it is. just because you put work into something doesn't mean it's easily justifiable to charge people for it. i can bottle up air and sell it to people (but they don't get the bottle--just the air), and most people would think that's dumb. but omg i put work into the bottled air!

no but really, not counting the fixed costs of duplicating files, there's an infinite supply so they're p valueless.

They would think it's dumb, and not buy it. If you don't want to pay what's being asked, you don't pay it.

Granted, I don't think bands have to charge for their downloads, but claiming that they have no right to charge for the product that they create is utter bollocks as far as I'm concerned.

Watching: Futurama
Listening: Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown
Playing: Watch_Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdof
Yeah, I'm a Racist

100m, 500m, Marathon.... He runs them all!
metacarpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #88
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvil is god
Also, cable doesn't make a difference as long as it has a solid connection. You do know this, right?

Cables are designed to have as little affect on the signal passing through it as possible. But noise can be an issue if the signal passing through the cable is being amplified.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #89
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

There isn't a way to justify pirating, but I still do it. #yolo
Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #90
wesleyisgay
Worst username

Wait till they come after OPs friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veil Of Osiris

You just made me spit out my Kool-Aid all over my keyboard.

sorry
wesleyisgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #91
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection

I've torrented gigs and gigs worth of music. Got a handful of music production/creation programs (Guitar Pro, Sibelius, Cubase, etc.) and some movies and TV shows. I've stopped recently, and I don't do it as often anymore. I try to buy the album if at all possible (I like my collection).

Do I try and justify it? No. You can't really, especially not with all the stories from "underground" artists - like Andy McKee - losing a lot of money from it. Money they use to live and make more music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckfush
^ Your avatar has never been so uncomfortably suitable for your post content.

DiminishedFifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #92
tffan92

I do it because it's my way of protesting the way music industry corporations have been slowly causing bands salaries to go lower and lower while the industry's pay gets higher and higher. I don't buy music because most of the profits go to the labels. If I want to support a band directly I go to a concert and buy their merch.
show

P.S. I also do it if I want a certain piece of music that would cost too much time and/or money to acquire and is impossible to find. Example: Death's un-remastered albums

Last edited by tffan92 : 01-18-2013 at 12:16 PM.
tffan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #93
schwinginbatman
Excuse me, good sir!

The only way I can justify myself pirating (music in particular) is when the only way to buy it is for like $100 or more used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashIsWin
It's like someone listening to some really old blues or whatever and going, "What a prick. Obviously you ****ing 'woke up this morning'. Twat."
schwinginbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #94
MakinLattes
fully retractable

The most shocking revelation in this thread is that trebor is 26.
MakinLattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #95
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tffan92
I do it because it's my way of protesting the way music industry corporations have been slowly causing bands salaries to go lower and lower while the industry's pay gets higher and higher. I don't buy music because most of the profits go to the labels. If I want to support a band directly I go to a concert and buy their merch.
show

P.S. I also do it if I want a certain piece of music that would cost too much time and/or money to acquire and is impossible to find. Example: Death's un-remastered albums

> hates the fact bands (rightly) only get a cut of their music's earnings.
> denies the band any money by pirating their stuff instead.

******ed logic is ******ed.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #96
MakinLattes
fully retractable

Yeah, that's what happens when you try to justify it.
MakinLattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #97
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
> hates the fact bands (rightly) only get a cut of their music's earnings.
> denies the band any money by pirating their stuff instead.

******ed logic is ******ed.

I take it that justification is like the "We don't negotiate with terrorists" one.

Like, the terrorists have hostages captive, and you don't want the hostages hurt. However you don't want the terrorists to have what they want either. Either you give the terrorists what they want, and be given the hostages alive, or you don't give the terrorists what they want and the hostages are hurt

So here the terrorists are the labels and the hostages the artists.....or something like that.

At least that's how I assume he's thinking (if he's not bullshitting of course)
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #98
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaw
I take it that justification is like the "We don't negotiate with terrorists" one.

Like, the terrorists have hostages captive, and you don't want the hostages hurt. However you don't want the terrorists to have what they want either. Either you give the terrorists what they want, and be given the hostages alive, or you don't give the terrorists what they want and the hostages are hurt

So here the terrorists are the labels and the hostages the artists.....or something like that.

At least that's how I assume he's thinking (if he's not bullshitting of course)

No, because the labels aren't going to hurt the bands, they're going to pay them. The fact that people think that bands deserve a large amount, hell even a majority cut for the songs released just shows that they know nothing about the production of music.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #99
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

I've downloaded quite a bit of music, but I've cut down a lot of what I don't listen to and deleted a lot of it. I'm also trying to buy actual albums whenever I can, not because it makes me feel justified, but because I love CD's.

Now, for people that don't buy music, they will find another way to listen to the music and don't care about the sound quality. An example of this would be my mom and sister; They both have decent phones and instead of downloading, because they consider it to complicated, they go to youtube on their phones and listen to entire albums that way because people uploaded it to it.

Is any of this right? It's costing the people that made the albums and put time, work, and effort into them money, so no, it isn't right. To change this, however, would take so much work that it would change a huge portion of the internet.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #100
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

The "I wouldn't have bought it anyway, so it's fine" argument is a huge, steaming load of horseshit. CD and MP3 sales are down across the board. Are you telling me that people just don't listen to music as much anymore?

I'll take a burned CD from a friend if they offer, but I never go out of my way to pirate anything. I believe that if the artist wanted you to have it for free, they would offer it for free. It's just human decency to provide them with some compensation for giving something you can enjoy for the rest of your life as many times as you want.
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: