Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
Airfish

What HB/SC pickups for PRS SE Tremonti?

Hi there.

I am looking for humbuckers with split function to single coil for PRS SE Tremonti guitar. This one:
[forbidden link]

I want something with a more warm/mellow/harmonic/classic/vintage tone, preferably passive, but definitely HB/SC splittable. Maybe a similar tone to Gibson 490T/498R or Burstbuckers....

Ideal case would be pickups supplied with complete electronics, wiring AND push-pull pots, because I donīt want to drill new holes for any extra switches to the guitar.

Thanks in advance for all your advice and suggestions!

Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

get a push pull vol pot to split the pickups.
Seymour Duncan Alnico II would be a good choice.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

almost anything is splittable as long as it's available in a 4-conductor variant. So basically make sure you get the 4-conductor version of any pickup you decide upon.

you could always go for those gibson pickups if you know you like them, but if you ask me they're pretty dear for what you get.

what's your budget and what's your location? (country will do, it's just so we know what's available and good value where you are)

what amp are you using? that has a big effect on the tones you'll be able to get, too.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #4
Airfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
almost anything is splittable as long as it's available in a 4-conductor variant. So basically make sure you get the 4-conductor version of any pickup you decide upon.

you could always go for those gibson pickups if you know you like them, but if you ask me they're pretty dear for what you get.

what's your budget and what's your location? (country will do, it's just so we know what's available and good value where you are)

what amp are you using? that has a big effect on the tones you'll be able to get, too.

Right now I dontīt have a real amp, just a small solid state Roland combo Iīm trying to get rid of and the Line 6 Pod HD Pro simulator with a pair of good studio monitors (KRK VXT6). Later on this year I am planning to buy a Mesa mini Rectifier (pricey as hell, but hell yeah! ) - for a Mesa it is capable of surprisingly cool clean and crunch tones, sounds almost British - maybe you know it.

Even after buying it i will still be using also my Line 6 at bedroom levels, so the new guitar+pickups should work with both the Line 6 and the Mini Mesa. Btw my other two guitars are more hard-rock/metal oriented, both with active EMGs, one detuned. And the third guitar should be on the classic rock/blues-rock side.

My location? Bratislava, Slovakia, Central Europe.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 AM   #5
Airfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfish
Right now I dontīt have a real amp, just a small solid state Roland combo Iīm trying to get rid of and the Line 6 Pod HD Pro simulator with a pair of good studio monitors (KRK VXT6). Later on this year I am planning to buy a Mesa mini Rectifier (pricey as hell, but hell yeah! ) - for a Mesa it is capable of surprisingly cool clean and crunch tones, sounds almost British - maybe you know it.

Even after buying it i will still be using also my Line 6 at bedroom levels, so the new guitar+pickups should work with both the Line 6 and the Mini Mesa. Btw my other two guitars are more hard-rock/metal oriented, both with active EMGs, one detuned. And the third guitar should be on the classic rock/blues-rock side.

....oh, and I forgot to answer the budget question: well, I donīt have a strict budget, but since I donīt exactly know what I would buy, I donīt want to lose to much money with experimentig. Say something up to the more expensive DiMarzio or SeymourDuncan passive pickups.... Thatīs why Iīm asking you for suggestions, to get at least som orientation. Thanx again.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfish

yeah i've heard of the mini rec but i've only tried the dual rectifier

it might actually be better to wait until you get the amp before swapping pickups. just to be sure they'll work well with the amp.

granted if you can't wait that's only human and fair enough, lol (and i've been guilty of swapping pickups before i had a decent amp myself ). But if you can wait, getting the amp first is probably the better way to do it. once you know how the amp sounds, you can then really hone in on how you want your new pickups to fine tune the tone.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: