Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
makutoid
Registered Rocker

"Blank" Pickup Surrounds

I've got a Yamaha SF1000 that I want to fit with new pickup surrounds, however I'm struggling to find the right ones. Obviously a "standard" humbucker ring has 2 pickup mounting holes, one either side. The ones I need, have a single hole on one side (high E string) and 2 on the other. I phoned Yamaha directly and they wanted 14 each before tax, so naturally I told them to stuff it.

What I'd like to find (as these don't appear to exist in general circulation) are some standard sized humbucker surrounds but without the mounting holes pre-drilled, so I can put my own in place. Does anyone know where to get them??

Complete Yamaha Super Flighter Collection

Marshall JCM600 2x12
Marshall JCM900 4100
Marshall 1960A 4x12

New Pedalboard in progress..
makutoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Why must you use rings with 2 holes on one side? Do your pickups only have 2 holes on the side, because if they have 3 holes, then a pickup ring with 1 hole either side will work fine.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
makutoid
Registered Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
Why must you use rings with 2 holes on one side? Do your pickups only have 2 holes on the side, because if they have 3 holes, then a pickup ring with 1 hole either side will work fine.

I hadn't checked that, I assumed the existing pickup rings we built to fit the pickups, but having looked they do actually have 3 holes... Hadn't thought of that! Cheers

Marshall JCM600 2x12
Marshall JCM900 4100
Marshall 1960A 4x12

Old 01-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I know Fender MIM HSS strats have a humbucker with 2 holes on the low E side like that. There is not 3rd hole.

I'm not sure if you can buy humbucker rings anywhere, but I'd start searching on eBay and go from there.

Or you could use a regular rings and drill a 3rd hole in the pickup, then use a small wood screw to mount it. But that would be less than ideal, imo.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Preacher403

Another option is to buy new pickups with the rings included, unless you just really like the pickups currently in it.
Preacher403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
makutoid
Registered Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher403
Another option is to buy new pickups with the rings included, unless you just really like the pickups currently in it.

I had considered that for about 5 seconds, however there are too many reasons not to IMO. Partly, the pickups are Yamaha's "top-of-their-game" p'ups, so the only real upgrade would be Seymour Duncan or Bare Knuckle which we all know aren't cheap :P Also, I don't want to mess with the wiring as this is a very rare and sought after guitar that I want to keep in as-close-to-original condition as I can.

Gonna make the most of the third hole that does appear to exist on these ones.

Marshall JCM600 2x12
Marshall JCM900 4100
Marshall 1960A 4x12

Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by makutoid
...this is a very rare and sought after guitar that I want to keep in as-close-to-original condition as I can.
Sounds to me like you may as well suck it up and shell out the 34 quid.

Paddy von Layzonfon! Founder of The Spell it RELICKED Club
von Layzonfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
Mars Rover
Guitar Cannibal

My Heritage has pups with two mounting holes per side. The rings are original from 1986 and to me, it appears that Heritage just used standard rings and drilled two extra holes per side, leaving the middle hole open on each side. The empty holes are small and never looked out of place to me. If everthing else lines up, save money and go for the generic rings. If vintage value is a concern, just save the original rings.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
Mars Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
makutoid
Registered Rocker

Been looking into it a little and I might be able to just clean up the original rings. The problem is that when the pickup covers were re-finished (black paint was scratched off from 30 years of playing) by the previous owner, the p'ups obviously weren't taken off the rings first and the paint bled a little, so I want to get the paint off.

Found out he used enamel paint, which you can apparently remove with a quick scrub with domestic oven-cleaner. I may do that, just with something a little less corrosive, oven cleaner seems a bit much :S

Marshall JCM600 2x12
Marshall JCM900 4100
Marshall 1960A 4x12

Rate This Thread: