Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
THEBOSTONVERSE

US Vox Valvetronix+ vs Peavey Vypyr

Shopping for a new amp I can use in my bedroom and for some recording..and its been about 7 or 8 years since I've shopped around so I am looking for some advice. I don't have a band at the moment so I'm not really concerned with maximum wattage, but it would be nice to have something powerful enough to jam with people every once in a while. Im looking for something very versatile, because I play about 60% metal and 40% just about everything else with my Schecter C-1 Artist. Speaking with people in general Ive been told to stay away from Line 6, although the Spider IV looks kind of fun. I played on the Vox Vt20+ at a store for a bit, and it sounded great and had alot of cool options. The Vypyr gets a lot of good opinions as well, however, and seems to be a good choice also. I saw that the Vypyr has a tube option, and all the VT+ have a tube in them. Anyone know a lot about these amps? I know I ultimately should just try both at the same time and pick the best..but I want some opinions with people who may have experience with either amp. Any help would be appreciated.
THEBOSTONVERSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
andrerist
schecterguy

i had the 75w vypyr and absolutely hated it. tone sucked and it always shit the bed and had to be restarted. i haven't played the tube versions however ive been told that they have very good tone. i would suggest checking out the line 6 valve state head or combo. its designed by bogner and holy shit, that thing can do sparkly cleans al the way up to balls to the wall high gain.

other than that, the only solid state modeler i would recommend are either of the fender modelers. being either the g-dec 3 or mustang. the mustang you can get all the way up to a 150w head with 412 cab but the g-dec only does a 30w. both amazing tone for a solid state modeler.
andrerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
ibanart300

The Vox VT+ only has a tube in the pre-amp (12AX7) to help produce a slightly more articulated sound. I have heard and experienced the distortion side of the Vox VT amps and thought it was a little weaker then say the Peavey. From what I have heard the Vypyr is great for rock/metal with a fairly nice lot of distortion models to choose and mould to your liking. I would go and try a few out and see which one you like the best because tone is different to each hearer. Also try out a Roland Cube 40XL while you are looking I was quite amazed at the tone that little sucker had.

Last edited by ibanart300 : 10-05-2011 at 04:57 PM.
ibanart300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Here is my quick synopsis:

Spider regular - looks like fun, sounds cool at first, sucks in the long run. Don't buy it.

Spider Valve - ditto, it just doesn't suck as bad. Power tubes warm up the sound.

Vox Valvetronix - great sounding solid state modeler with a preamp tube that is mostly useless.

Peavey Vypyr regular - great sounding solid state modeler with no preamp tube.

Peavey Vypyr tube (60/120) - great sounding hybrid amp modeler with 1 preamp tube as a phase inverter and power tubes. Sounds killer and is likely to sound good to you down the road. Power tubes warm up the sound.

I've played all of these. I own a Vypyr 60.

The Vypyr 60 has power valves and 1 preamp valve as a phase inverter. The preamp tube in the Valvetronix is mostly gimmick (but same claim it affects the tone).

PS: What is up with all the VS. threads. VS threads are against the rules.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 10-05-2011 at 09:37 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Peavey vypyr all the way. It has a better range of tones, more stomp box models to choose from, and the tube models compete very well with some of the amps that it models. If you are talking regular models, id say the vt+ series takes it in the quality of sound, but you lose a bit of variety. And the peavey has more high gain models.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
JKHC

The fender modelers are pretty good IMO for cleans.
The Spiders are good for the effects (they sound alot better than others)
Roland cube is......an all rounder (does everything well, nothing spectacular)
The vypyrs are popular for their distorted tones but i dont like them much
VT+ are pretty good.

Go try them out and look up demos of them. Its what you like not what we like.

311, we have been seeing alot of them lately, haven't we?

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
JKHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:00 AM   #7
AshersUK

I have the slightly older Vox VT. It might have less options than the Vyper (which I haven't tried), bu the VT VT+ amps are certainly not short on options - in fact they have way too many imho. There are so many there's a tendancy to never settling on one. It's like tv channels - there's so many you flit about!
AshersUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
kutless999

I have the Roland cube 15x and it has a great metal and clean tone. The overdrive and distortion channels are pretty bad though, but it's probably better on the bigger units. I've had it for four years and I haven't had a single problem with it. I highly recommend it.
kutless999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #9
afrika18
afrika18

I've had 1 Vox Valvetronix, and 2 Roland Cube amps and I've played a Peavey vypyr tube 60 and a vypyr 30. I took the vox valvetronix back to the store after 2 days, because I thought it was awful. The roland cube amps are good, but they simply don't compare to the peavey vypyrs. I've owned a couple of Fender Hot Rod tube amps, and these peavey vypyrs can go toe to toe with these tube amps on tone, but they win hands down on tonal options, flexibility and effects. Plus, at bedroom volumes they sound awesome (on my tube amps, I always had to have the volume at about 4 or 5 to get a decent tone, and both the vox and the roland sounded awful when cranked); they sound great when turned up too, especially the tube version (the tubes DO make a significant difference in the tone). Don't bother with the Vox, seriously. Vypyr, all the way.
afrika18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
THEBOSTONVERSE

Well looking at youtube demos alone it sounds like the peavey vypyr tube 60 has the most authentic sounding tones (sounds really really good actually). But its columbus weekend sale at GC tomorrow and I believe they have all of these amps on the floor so ill be putting them to the test. Kinda wish the floor pedal wasnt an extra $200 but it seems like you need it to get the most out of the amp.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Unless you are an effects junkie I don't think you'll miss not having a Sampera floorboard and you can find these used on ebay and such.

If they don't have a 60 in stock I would feel totally comfortable in giving GC your money and having them order one (to take advantage of the sale). Better yet, have them order one for you and pay after you play. You can usually get 10-15% off anyway if you ask real nicely.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
DarthV

You don't need to get the larger Sanpera switch, they do have a smaller & cheaper one as well.
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
THEBOSTONVERSE

ah I see they have 2 versions, Sanpera I looks like it allows you to select presets and use the looper, and Sanpera II looks like it lets you select anything with the pedal. I htink for my purposes version I would be good enough, and is half the price.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #14
THEBOSTONVERSE

also, does anyone have experience selling used stuff to GC? Do they pay out decently? I craigslisted my Bandit but if it doesnt sell i figure id bring it to GC.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #15
andrerist
schecterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBOSTONVERSE
also, does anyone have experience selling used stuff to GC? Do they pay out decently? I craigslisted my Bandit but if it doesnt sell i figure id bring it to GC.

they give u absolute shit for used gear. i paid $400 plus another $100 for my vypyr with sanpera 1 footswitch. i got $100 back for it all.....

try and sell ur stuff online or at a local or small music shop. chains always give you shit for your gear. I'm trying to get rid of a brand new mxr 10 band eq that was 2 days over the 1 month return policy. i paid $120 for it brand new, he said the best he could do was about $35.

sell local or ebay/craigslist
andrerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

they will take it in a trade but low balled

although I did just read that they now pay cash for old amps

selling it out-right to someone else would probably get you more

the Bandits are decent amps

Vypyr uses next gen Transtube technology

good luck on your classified....maybe try selling it on a gear forum too (in the appropriate classified section)
Old 01-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #17
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrika18
I've had 1 Vox Valvetronix, and 2 Roland Cube amps and I've played a Peavey vypyr tube 60 and a vypyr 30. I took the vox valvetronix back to the store after 2 days, because I thought it was awful. The roland cube amps are good, but they simply don't compare to the peavey vypyrs. I've owned a couple of Fender Hot Rod tube amps, and these peavey vypyrs can go toe to toe with these tube amps on tone, but they win hands down on tonal options, flexibility and effects. Plus, at bedroom volumes they sound awesome (on my tube amps, I always had to have the volume at about 4 or 5 to get a decent tone, and both the vox and the roland sounded awful when cranked); they sound great when turned up too, especially the tube version (the tubes DO make a significant difference in the tone). Don't bother with the Vox, seriously. Vypyr, all the way.

I disagree about the Vox being cranked. We had the 80 Watt cranked in the store and had things shaking and it sounded good.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #18
romeozdistress

I really dont see a point in nany vypyr thats non tube anymore. they are baiscally giving the tube 60s away now. its soo dirt cheap. if you think the vt can compete with a power tubed vypyr you must be high. also i wouldnt wish a amp with an 8 inch speaker on my worst enemy. its just horrible.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #19
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowofravenwo
I disagree about the Vox being cranked. We had the 80 Watt cranked in the store and had things shaking and it sounded good.

*reported* for necrobumping.

Don't necrobump bro.

PS: Keep in mind all of the Vypyrs are considered practice amps. If a $99 Vypyr 15 is all you can afford for a practice amp then so be it. They are still good amps for their purpose.

Rate This Thread: