Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #21
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

The way to fit a Schaller to the strap is to use two spanners. One on the nut and the other on the clip itself. You have to nip them up nice and tight or else the nut can come adrift after the leather settles.

Most times the screw hole in the guitar is too big for the Schaller screw. It's an easy fix. Get a wooden match and carefully pare it down until it fits snugly into the hole. Dip the match in PVA glue, tap it into the hole and cut it off flush with a pair of wire cutters. Wait a couple of hours and then drill and fit the new screw. In reality you don't even need to drill because the Schaller screw will behave as a self tapper and will just cut its way through the match without issue.

Too easy.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 01-19-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #22
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

My Jacksons have such huge strap buttons that it's hard to get my straps on them to begin with. If I was worried about it I would probably just do the washer method.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #23
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo Bum
My Jacksons have such huge strap buttons that it's hard to get my straps on them to begin with. If I was worried about it I would probably just do the washer method.

That's one thing I love about Jacksons.

I just put a piece of electrical tape over the "leftover hole" in the end of the strap after it goes on the button. That, and I just use solid straps and make sure it's not twisted around. Personally I would never use straplocks unless they were free or something; in all my years of playing guitar I've never even had a hint of a close call when it comes to the strap coming off. I've seen it come off for a few of my friends but to me it's not really a piece of the guitar that needs extra locking.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #24
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Straplocks. I don't know why anybody would want a locking strap; far too limited. Using straplocks means you can stick any strap on any guitar. Plus—and more importantly—the metal straplock systems last a hell of a lot better than the often plastic locking strap systems.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #25
Viban
UG's resident bum

I just sew my straps on, haven't had a single one fail yet. The only guitar I haven't done this on is my dad's old PR1660 and that thing has the boomerang strap buttons and I have never ad a strap give up on me using those.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #26
chatterbox272

Another straplock fan here. I like the flexibility to use whatever strap I like, and use it on whatever instrument I like. If I need to use it on an instrument not fitted with locks for whatever reason I just remove them from my strap and I can still use my strap.
Not to mention there's some really good metal schaller clones on eBay that go for ~$4-$5 and even if the strap part isn't quite as good as a real schaller the buttons are perfect for whenever you get a new guitar and are completely compatible with real schallers.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #27
one-dead-cop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTAL SOLDIER
Is it hard to install schallers?

Here. I could've picked any of the dozens of videos on youtube about installing them but this video is pretty funny.
one-dead-cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #28
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-dead-cop
Here. I could've picked any of the dozens of videos on youtube about installing them but this video is pretty funny.

you forgot to add the video.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: