Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Which one of these should I choose?
Ibanez Roadstar II RB760 3 13.04%
Ibanez BTB400QM 7 30.43%
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass 70s 13 56.52%
Squier Deluxe Jazz bass 3 13.04%
Hohner B Bass 4 4 17.39%
Cort GB74 1 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
atira

Buying a bass, need advice

I'm a solo guitar player, however I bass would be nice to get a feel of it, which would have me a lot with composition.
So the choices are up there in the poll, let's pretend now that they are the same price. All used, to get the best for the $.
I'm not playing metal. I need one that is capable of a nice groovy sound, rather thick than trebly.
atira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

Look at the Music Man Sub bass or the Sterling Ray34 both are budget versions of the MM Stingray bass.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
atira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Look at the Music Man Sub bass or the Sterling Ray34 both are budget versions of the MM Stingray bass.

They are hardly available locally (I live in Hungary).
I've found a Sterling by Music Man Ray34 HB, which costs about 4 times the ones posted in the poll. It's above $1000 actually, wouldn't really call it a budget version.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by atira
I've found a Sterling by Music Man Ray34 HB, which costs about 4 times the ones posted in the poll. It's above $1000 actually, wouldn't really call it a budget version.

The Squier VM would be a great choice, but also is the Sterling Sub Ray. If it isn't available, don't worry, I just happen to love that bass (the 5er version...)

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Tostitos
Got Mead?

That Ibanez Roadstar is a fine bass, I'd probably go with that if I were in your shoes, provided it's in good condition.

You can't go wrong with any of the others though. The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz's are highly regarded, and the Deluxes aren't too shabby. Hohner and Cort make good basses, and the Ibanez BTB's are really solid. Do you have the opportunity to try any of them out for yourself before buying?

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Sliide90027

OK I voted, and my Signature shows what I Voted.

Now if we could get Ibanez to standardize and annually produce the 400 and 450 Series.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
_ThePanda_
Noob of the year

I would go for the Squier. I own one, and I'm very pleased with the price I bought it for

I guess my opinions on it:
Pros:
-Cheap, but doesn't sound like it's cheap. The duncan designed pickups are nice.
-I love the polyurethane finish on the neck. It feels easier to move hand positions.
-Tuners. When I first got mine, the tuners were a bit tough to turn and didn't stay in tune that well the first 2 or 3 days I had it. But as I kept re-tuning, I guess they got adjusted or something and now I can go through a couple 2-3 long performances without having to tune. Very happy with this

Cons:
-If you are talking about the VM Jazz that's all maple (the model I own), it's a bit too bright for my taste. This is just my own preference for what I play (rock stuff) but it would make a killer funk machine. Bootsy collins or even RHCP.
-Not sure if it's normal, but sometimes when I roll the tone on or off, there's a static noise as I turn. It's not too loud but i notice it when I'm practicing at home. It might just be something wrong with just my electronics or my amp or cable, but yeah.

Ibanez isn't too bad of a choice either. However, I don't like the feel of them. The lightness of them (or at least the ones I've played) make them feel cheap to me. But they do sound pretty good.

If you want more options, a MiA Peavey Millenium would work well too IMO.
_ThePanda_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
atira

Well surely I could try them out, but I don't know anything about bass guitars. Which is the reason why I'd ask the seller to bring the bass to a guitar shop where professionals could take a quick look at it.
To do this with all the guitars: impossible.

So Squier leads now. Interesting. Looks like I'm going to have all Fender stuff here, as my solo guitars are a Squier and a Fender
Old 01-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #9
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner

I personally would go for either of the Ibanez basses. The roadstar was fantastic for its time, not sure how it stands up to "modern" basses. The BTB400 is a great bass, I personally prefer the SR or ATK (Have a look, it's the Ibanez MM equivalent) series, but quality wise they are much of a muchness.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Well surely I could try them out, but I don't know anything about bass guitars. Which is the reason why I'd ask the seller to bring the bass to a guitar shop where professionals could take a quick look at it.
To do this with all the guitars: impossible.

So Squier leads now. Interesting. Looks like I'm going to have all Fender stuff here, as my solo guitars are a Squier and a Fender

But you are the only one that knows what sound/feel you are looking for. You can try how they sound. I mean, you can play the guitar so you can also play the bass. At least play something on them. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, just some simple riffs to know how they sound (or just open strings). You know what sounds good to you and feels good in your hands so go and try them. I don't see any problem with that if you can try them.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
Robbgnarly

Quote:

Yeah thats a little pricy for what you get, hell you can get a real MM stingray for $1300ish here.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
Sliide90027

The BTB should have two Walnut Stringers going down the neck.

THe Stability in mine have ben excellent.

Listen to it's harmonic and fundamentals, especially the 5th Fret, that the Squier is not going to have.

The Pickups are Rocking, extremely responsive.

The Variable Mid Sweepis wonderful. Entwistle would not have a Buzzard Bass without one, and I judge electronics by whether or not they have one.

Construction, Electronics, and Bolt-On. For me, they are the final Standard in Affordable and Wooden Basses.

But that is just me.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
atira

I've got an advice, that the Squier Vintage Mod. is rather oriented for a more trebly sound.

So far I'm leaning towards for the Ibanez RB760 and the Hohner.
The other Ibanez was made in Korea, so I was told it might not be the best choice.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Korea is not a bad place for the instrument to come from... At least not the ones you're looking for...
The VM has some brightness to it, but i would definetly not call it's sound trebly.

I would get the VM, and if not, the BTB. Still i dind't play the roadstar nor the hohner

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
Tostitos
Got Mead?

Quote:
I've got an advice, that the Squier Vintage Mod. is rather oriented for a more trebly sound.

So far I'm leaning towards for the Ibanez RB760 and the Hohner.
The other Ibanez was made in Korea, so I was told it might not be the best choice.

Don't be put off by Korean manufacture, Korea puts out a lot of nice, quality instruments. China and Indonesia have reputations as the centers of budget bass production, but Korea is known for producing "higher end" imports (although there are lots of great basses starting to come out of Indonesia and China as well).

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #16
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Yeah, the place where it's built doesn't matter that much any more. I have had two Chinese made instruments (Epiphone Les Paul Standard and Tokai TB48 bass) and haven't had any problems with either. If you just try before you buy, it doesn't matter where it was made.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
atira

My problem is with the BTB is, actually, I don't like its look...
Anyway, in the first run, I'm gonna try out the Squier, Hohner and Roadstar II. If the sellers reply me at all...
Old 01-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #18
sam_ofzo

I would go for the Cort out of those options, odd nobody else picket that one in the poll, it's a great bass after all.

I might be a bit biased, though, because I love basses with a MM style humbucker in bridge position.

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
sam_ofzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #19
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

Having owned a Hohner B Bass 6 (Q) for 4 years now, I wouldn't choose anything else. Ot's been with me through metal, funk, jazz, pop punk, free improv stuff and has fit the bill every time.
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #20
atira

So I've got recommendations for each choice except the Deluxe Jazz

How about Indonesia as manufacturer?

Rate This Thread: