Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
cptcomet
Band

What I need is a new amp.

So i'm trying to look for a new amp, but really I have no expertise in the matter. I have a VOX VT50 at the minute, which is fine but I want something more simple, less buttons.

I just really want an amp with a nice clean sound, that I can plug pedals into to get the distortion that I want. Space is an issue so it'll probably have to be a combo, and no more than around 250. ($400) I could pay more but I only play in my room so I don't see the point really.

If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated, I play a fair few things, from blues to shred. I'm a fan of Paul Gilbert and Muse. It'll be much appreciated just a few pointers really, as i'm not sure what stuff is good and what isn't.

Thanks.

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
cptcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
jimbob78

A Blackstar HT5 would be ideal. Will do all those sounds and do them well at home volumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

jimbob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
cptcomet
Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob78
A Blackstar HT5 would be ideal. Will do all those sounds and do them well at home volumes.

Thanks, will check that out!

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
cptcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I don't recommend the HT-5 for what you want. Really, for what you just said, I would normally recommend the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, but it certainly won't have less buttons. To be honest, I don't get why you want to get an amp and pedals to do the same thing just an amp will do. With that budget, I would just get the Peavey Vypyr, honestly. It'll cover most things from nice cleans to shred, it has built-in effects and stompboxes, it's loud enough that you can gig with it and/or jam with a dummer, it's small enough to not take up much space at home, it's got a headphone jack for quiet jamming, and it's got USB feaures to silent record on your PC.

If you're looking for something that will cover cleans to blues to metal that is simpler with less modelling, skip buying the pedals and a separate amp, and look for a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL401

It'll do Cleans, Blues, Rock, and Metal, it's small enough, since it's a combo, and it's loud enough for gigging/jamming with drums. If you need a heavier sound that what it'll get on it's own, you can easily boost it with an OD pedal like a DigiTech Bad Monkey, which goes for about $30 used here in the states.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

I second the DSL401 and raise you a Laney VC50
Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
jimbob78

You've just recommended 40, 50 and 60 watt amps to someone who said that they only play at home. A HT5 certainly isn't the answer to everything on here, but I feel that it fits the application. It has a headphone out/line out for recording, and ample preamp gain for anything. They sound better than the Vypr in my opinion.

The DSL401 is a nice amp (with a less than great stock speaker), but it's a 40 watt EL84 amp. They sound better turned up a bit, and that's not viable in most home situations. The same with a VC50. If we were talking about gigging amps, I'd take the Laney and Marshall over the HT50, but I just don't see it for home use. The Blackstar isn't a better amp, but it's a better "Dirty channel in a small box" which therefore makes it a better solution. In my opinion of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

jimbob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

Peavey Classic 30 gets my vote if you just want clean and simple. Throw a decent dirt pedal out front and you're set

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
Hooker84

If you use the amp only in your room, I recommend the Ibanez TSA5...good clean and the crunch channel is like ts9 ;-)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
UnmagicMushroom
Banded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooker84
If you use the amp only in your room, I recommend the Ibanez TSA5...good clean and the crunch channel is like ts9 ;-)

I don't. I found the amp to sound quite clinical and lacking in character. I think the tubescreamer circuitry in the amp is just a gimmick. I really like Ibanez, but not their amps.

Maybe something Vox - like in the AC or Nighttrain range.
+42 to the Peavey Classic, Blackstar too and Bad Monkey.

UnmagicMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Hughes and Kettner Tubemiester (probably the 18w version for that budget) or Egnater Tweaker 15 or Rebel 30?
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
Hughes and Kettner Tubemiester (probably the 18w version for that budget) or Egnater Tweaker 15 or Rebel 30?

really? you think he could score a tweaker 15 or tubemeister 18 combo for 250?

A used Vyper Tube 60 (would need to be used to come near budget but Thomann stock it new for 350) would cover all your bases fairly well, and will do bedroom volumes despite it's wattage, just use the volume control... that's what it's there for... and if you invest in the Sanpera II pedal at a later date it becomes an awesome versatile amp.

I honestly think that would be your best bet and will take you into gigging if you ever started and honestly, probably will be everything you ever needed if you really wanted to stick with it.

Something like the VHT Special 6 Ultra would work too if you wanted something smaller and cheaper. Handles cleans fairly well and you can get a fair amount of dirt out of the amp too if you want it.
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABarrie
really? you think he could score a tweaker 15 or tubemeister 18 combo for 250?

You clearly don't frequent eBay or Gumtree very often do you?
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #13
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

not for tubemeisters or tweakers... 60s voxes mostly

EDIT: plus to be fair there's none of any of the 3 you suggested on either at the moment
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy

Last edited by GABarrie : 01-17-2013 at 07:45 AM.
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
Hooker84

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnmagicMushroom
I don't. I found the amp to sound quite clinical and lacking in character. I think the tubescreamer circuitry in the amp is just a gimmick. I really like Ibanez, but not their amps.

Maybe something Vox - like in the AC or Nighttrain range.
+42 to the Peavey Classic, Blackstar too and Bad Monkey.

I have a vox night train 50w and it's a good head, but I never heared a night train 5w, so I can't recommend this...I think that Ibanez tsa series is a good amp, naturally de gustibus non disputandum est...it need try an amp before buy it...
Old 01-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
You've just recommended 40, 50 and 60 watt amps to someone who said that they only play at home. A HT5 certainly isn't the answer to everything on here, but I feel that it fits the application. It has a headphone out/line out for recording, and ample preamp gain for anything. They sound better than the Vypr in my opinion.

The DSL401 is a nice amp (with a less than great stock speaker), but it's a 40 watt EL84 amp. They sound better turned up a bit, and that's not viable in most home situations. The same with a VC50. If we were talking about gigging amps, I'd take the Laney and Marshall over the HT50, but I just don't see it for home use. The Blackstar isn't a better amp, but it's a better "Dirty channel in a small box" which therefore makes it a better solution. In my opinion of course.

Amps have this miraculous thing called a volume knob. An HT-5 isn't going to sound any better than a DSL401 at the same volume. In fact, I've played both, and the DSL401 sounds better in general. Low wattage =/= good bedroom amp.

Read this:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1571081

I would like to +1 the Peavey Classic 30. I always forget about those amps. The Tweaker 15 as well. It's a pretty versatile amp in general for low-gain applications, so it should be pretty versatile for taking pedals, if youreally want to go that route.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

do you already have pedals or will you have to buy them too? if you already have them, that's fair enough, but if not, another 150 or so for pedals would bring you within range of actually good amps which sound pretty good out of the box, and which may not need pedals (or as many pedals).

the other thing is i'm not sure making a set in stone comment like "i only play in my room so i don't think it's worth it" is helpful... don't get me wrong, it's absolutely your money and your choice, but if you have enough money to get good kit, is there any point in arbitrarily setting a price where you won't really get what you want?

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #17
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
do you already have pedals or will you have to buy them too? if you already have them, that's fair enough, but if not, another 150 or so for pedals would bring you within range of actually good amps which sound pretty good out of the box, and which may not need pedals (or as many pedals).

the other thing is i'm not sure making a set in stone comment like "i only play in my room so i don't think it's worth it" is helpful... don't get me wrong, it's absolutely your money and your choice, but if you have enough money to get good kit, is there any point in arbitrarily setting a price where you won't really get what you want?

+311
Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #18
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:

Master volume controls are there for a reason, I play a 100 watter in my room. See what this volume thing does is miraculous, it lowers your volume, having your master volume low doesn't mean it'll sound good, and turning he volume knob up higher on a smaller amp to hit the same volume level doesn't mean it will sound good.

I also put my recommendation in for the vyper tube 60, they're fairly decent amps, at a decent price. They have a few knobs but they aren't hard to use.

Last edited by Viban : 01-17-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #19
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
If you're looking for something that will cover cleans to blues to metal that is simpler with less modelling, skip buying the pedals and a separate amp, and look for a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL401

+1

Quote:

5W will get you evicted just as easily as 60W. Wattage does not correlate to volume, and master volumes exist for a reason. This isn't the 60's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc

+311 to all of this. Just because you only play at homes means you're not allowed to have good tone? What kind of logic is that?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #20
Perverockstar69

I vote for the DSL and the VC50, great amps for what TS needs!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)