Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
Billwallace89
Go Blackhawks!

DAW recommendations

I have Audacity and am pretty decent at using it. I have Cakewalk Sonar 6 LE but I don't know how to do anything other htan click record on it. The tutorial is absolute garbage and I don't know if I'll ever learn it. Also, LE stands for Lite Edition, not Limited, so it barely comes with half the things Cakewalk usually comes with.

I suppose my question is should I stick with the DAW's I have or look for another? I'm getting an interface soon and will be getting monitors shortly after so my budget is very very tight on a DAW. Preferably free.

Also, what does DAW stand for?
Billwallace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
chatterbox272

REAPER, it's pretty easy to learn/use, most people here use it (so we can help you), it's about as cheap as you're going to get for a real DAW ($60 from memory).
If you really need free then REAPER's trial doesn't expire, or you could use Krystal Audio Engine which is actually free.

DAW is an acronym for Digital Audio Workstation.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Reaper.
Originally Posted by gregs1020
I've said it before, nothing says metal like a grill you can bounce a bottle of Jack Daniels off.
What can you learn in 20 days?
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
GirlGerms
Stardog Champion

Logic if you have a Mac. 100% percent Logic. If not, then Protools.

"I'm just a*Stardog Champion*...
I'm a
*Stardog Champion*
I'm a
* Stardog* baby...
I ain't gonna let ya down, yeah
I'm gonna let ya down.
"
GirlGerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
jer-bear5212

+1 for logic. Its never failed me and I don't think it ever will.

Gear?
Ibanez S570DXQM
Maxon OD 808 overdrive pedal
Boss NS-2
Peavey 6505+ 112

Recording?
Too much to list.
jer-bear5212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
Highelf04
UG's ONLY Batgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlGerms

If he has a spare 100-400 floating around....
Reaper
Or
Kristal

in the balls

LEICESTER CITY

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClockHouseBand

Clockhouse is a thing
Find us
Listen to us
Love us
Highelf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:

I seriously doubt he has or wants to spend $700 for Protools or even $300 for Logic.

REAPER is fine. I've heard great things about FL Studio too - I'd worry more about what type of Audio Interface and mics you are going to use than what DAW you are recording with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
Xiaoxi
busy passing you

Quote:

lol Logic is really not that good.

Anyways, if it's simplicity you want, just get the cheapest version of Pro Tools 10. Nothing is easier than PT for handling audio.

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
lol Logic is really not that good.

Anyways, if it's simplicity you want, just get the cheapest version of Pro Tools 10. Nothing is easier than PT for handling audio.

There really isn't a "cheap" version of PT though. They kinda got rid of anything between SE and full-on PT10.
Originally Posted by gregs1020
I've said it before, nothing says metal like a grill you can bounce a bottle of Jack Daniels off.
What can you learn in 20 days?
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #10
saint_berzerker
Banned

Check out Mixcraft...also low cost like Reaper. High quality stuff though.
saint_berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:15 AM   #11
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:

Problem is, for a beginner, Pro Tools is a lot to invest in. Unless you want to buy one of the shitty M-Audio interfaces or an Mbox, you're looking at $600 just for the software alone. If you want Amp Sims outside of the 2 that come with Eleven Free (which you can do a lot with but not everything), you've gotta buy them since there is no native VST support.

There are a lot of things that make Pro Tools a great DAW, its just not necessarily the best for a beginner.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #12
dudebud
Kid A.Lo

Quote:
Nothing is easier than PT for handling audio.

I have to disagree with this statement and give another +1 for Logic.
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
dudebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:03 AM   #13
Xiaoxi
busy passing you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
Problem is, for a beginner, Pro Tools is a lot to invest in. Unless you want to buy one of the shitty M-Audio interfaces or an Mbox, you're looking at $600 just for the software alone. If you want Amp Sims outside of the 2 that come with Eleven Free (which you can do a lot with but not everything), you've gotta buy them since there is no native VST support.

There are a lot of things that make Pro Tools a great DAW, its just not necessarily the best for a beginner.

Pro Tools Express, according to product description, includes the basic virtual instruments and DSPs needed to get started. The mbox mini isn't great but it's not especially horrendous either. This is all for under $300. Sounds ok to me.

And still nothing beats it in terms of "first interface", and finding your way around how to use the basics of a DAW.

and lol, Logic is NOT a good beginner DAW. Most people I know who use Logic without formal training have no idea what they're doing, let alone the true basic principles behind DAWs.

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 01-19-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:05 AM   #14
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

I think protools should be your second DAW not your first ( there is a reason it's the standard )

BUT you should learn to use a DAW, how you want to use it, what are the options and workflow, and IF you want to spend the money Then you upgrade to Protools.

I jumped from Reaper to Reason to Sonar to Protools I would have been better to go from Reason to Protools and skip the Sonar path, once in Protools everything is there ( you know everythign is there because everyone else is doing what you do PLUS far more )
you just need to learn the workflow and your home.

starting with Reaper is a great place to begin the recording.

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:56 AM   #15
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Pro Tools Express, according to product description, includes the basic virtual instruments and DSPs needed to get started. The mbox mini isn't great but it's not especially horrendous either. This is all for under $300. Sounds ok to me.

And still nothing beats it in terms of "first interface", and finding your way around how to use the basics of a DAW.

and lol, Logic is NOT a good beginner DAW. Most people I know who use Logic without formal training have no idea what they're doing, let alone the true basic principles behind DAWs.

Pro Tools Express is terrible. Buggy as hell and limited to 8 tracks per session. Yes, 8. Maybe for starting out but you aren't going far.

Besides, for $260, you've got a Scarlett and Reaper and you've got a much more functional DAW
Old 01-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #16
Apc3

LOL, I love when people refer to ProTools as the standard, what your failing to understand is that the "standard" ProTools that you speak of runs around $20,000. I've been in some pro studios and they're using HD systems, not M-audio or these bundled up software packages that are crazy expensive for what you get and not anything like the real deal. Most all DAW's are capable of almost anything.
The thing to really look for is work flow, what's going to work best for your needs whether audio or midi. Reaper, ProTools, Sonar, Cubase, Logic, and Ableton are all great DAWs and all have great features. But really if Audio is your thing Reaper is an amazing choice because it has a great work flow, for me anyways. Mic'ing and recording techniques are way more important than which DAW you have. A seasoned recording engineer can make an amazing recording with minimal equipment, and someone who hasn't a clue about mic placement will still fail even with Neumanns and a HD system.
I have Sonar X2a and love it, but have been using Reaper lately and have to say it's ever bit as capable as any other DAW, still lacks some in the midi world, but is very lightweight and adjusting to the workflow was very easy, plus they are always working on it and seem to listen to their users more than I've ever seen any where else.
Seriously though, there are so many FREE or cheap effects out there now that can compete with higher end ones, there is no reason to not atleast give Reaper a shot.
Apc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #17
T4D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apc3
LOL, I love when people refer to ProTools as the standard, what your failing to understand is that the "standard" ProTools that you speak of runs around $20,000. I've been in some pro studios and they're using HD systems, not M-audio or these bundled up software packages that are crazy expensive for what you get and not anything like the real deal. Most all DAW's are capable of almost anything.
The thing to really look for is work flow,

it is the standard for the reason YOU Posted, you learn the workflow of a PC version and can move to a HD version without any real learning curve ( just learn the advanages of the Extra power you get with HD ) learning Sonar or what ever if you move to Prootool HD you have a learning curve in front of you to get Productive.

I can not really see a point in compairing Sonar to Logic to FL to Protools or what ever DAW you can think of ,. feature wise.

if there is a DAW "standard" Protools would have to be in the short list

learning the standard "workflow" in Protools can not be a bad thing ?

calling Protools the standard DAW of Professionals can not be a bad thing can it ?
specially since everyone does know there is alteratives to protools

Old 01-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #18
GirlGerms
Stardog Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apc3
The thing to really look for is work flow, what's going to work best for your needs whether audio or midi. Reaper, ProTools, Sonar, Cubase, Logic, and Ableton are all great DAWs and all have great features. But really if Audio is your thing Reaper is an amazing choice because it has a great work flow, for me anyways. Mic'ing and recording techniques are way more important than which DAW you have. A seasoned recording engineer can make an amazing recording with minimal equipment, and someone who hasn't a clue about mic placement will still fail even with Neumanns and a HD system.
I have Sonar X2a and love it, but have been using Reaper lately and have to say it's ever bit as capable as any other DAW, still lacks some in the midi world, but is very lightweight and adjusting to the workflow was very easy, plus they are always working on it and seem to listen to their users more than I've ever seen any where else.
Seriously though, there are so many FREE or cheap effects out there now that can compete with higher end ones, there is no reason to not atleast give Reaper a shot.

Lol, do you know that Protools for home set-up is what 300-400 pounds? Not that much really!

"I'm just a*Stardog Champion*...
I'm a
*Stardog Champion*
I'm a
* Stardog* baby...
I ain't gonna let ya down, yeah
I'm gonna let ya down.
"
GirlGerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #19
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

I still can't believe you guys a recommending a 400 DAW to a complete beginner...

What the hell is you guys problem? And I'm yet to hear any reasons for TS to use it apart from "it's the standard" and "I like it".

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
T4D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
I still can't believe you guys a recommending a 400 DAW to a complete beginner...

What the hell is you guys problem? And I'm yet to hear any reasons for TS to use it apart from "it's the standard" and "I like it".

..?? No what i read is nearly everyone has said go for reaper first even the protool users ???

Last edited by T4D : 01-19-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Rate This Thread: