User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #21
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4D
..?? No what i read is everyone has said go for reaper first even the protool users ???

Not everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #22
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlGerms
Lol, do you know that Protools for home set-up is what 300-400 pounds? Not that much really!

You do realize the average user won't spend $60 on a license for Reaper? Seriously, if you think $600 USD is cheap for someone who is just starting out, has no idea what they're doing and probably won't stick with it, then maybe you're that rich asshole nobody likes.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #23
Billwallace89
Go Blackhawks!

I'm gonna go with Reaper I believe. Is there any sort of tutorial for Reaper? When it comes to mixing, the extent of my knowledge is clicking "export to wav/mp3" on Audacity.
Billwallace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #24
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwallace89
I'm gonna go with Reaper I believe. Is there any sort of tutorial for Reaper? When it comes to mixing, the extent of my knowledge is clicking "export to wav/mp3" on Audacity.

REAPER as a DAW is extremely well supported. Check their site, they do tutorials better than probably any other DAW company. The beauty of it being a smaller development house.

Quote:
Old 01-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #25
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
Pro Tools Express is terrible. Buggy as hell and limited to 8 tracks per session. Yes, 8. Maybe for starting out but you aren't going far.

Besides, for $260, you've got a Scarlett and Reaper and you've got a much more functional DAW

Product description says 16 audio tracks, just limited to 8 simultaneous in/outs, which beginners really wouldn't hit and this doesn't sound like it includes internal busses. Doing it right means just one output, and they wouldn't really be tracking 8 simultaneous inputs. Yeah, it's still limited, but honestly beginners don't need much more than that. Plus they get a discounted upgrade price when they're ready for the full Pro Tools.

Aren't you the one who subscribe to recordingrevolution.com? Dude espouses this all the time. If you can't get good with the basics, you won't get good with the deluxe stuff either. Plus, that's another point. There are so many great, FREE, video resources online for working with Pro Tools.

As someone who uses Digital Performer the most, I think I can be objective in saying that Pro Tools has a much more straightforward and learning friendly layout than even Reaper.
I want to recognise your beauty's not just a mask
I want to exorcise the demons from your past
I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart

Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #26
Billwallace89
Go Blackhawks!

I've grown to trust Chatterbox, Lockwolf, and Chemicalfires' opinions on these forums so the argument ovER the DAW is just relative now. I'm going with Reaper. If they suggest it as a good beginner's software then I'll go with it. And I've checked Reaper's site And the support does seem unsurpassed.
My next question may end some of the argument. Lockwolf: I do plan on 'sticking with it'. I've been doing my own recordings for a long time I just never got into the advanced methods of recording. My SoundCloud is Www.soundcloud.com/old-too-young-us It may be an aquired taste of music (kind of a bluegrass punk with a twist of folk) if you'd like to see what I've done with Audacity. (some of those recordings were done with my phone as well) .
So my argument ending question is, after I pick up my 2i4, and Reaper. Would you guys suggest upgrading to ProTools at some point?
And my other question is after I get Reaper it may put off my purchase of monitors for awhile. Is Reaper worth that? I have a devent set of Koss Pro/4AA studio headphones for the time being. I'm not 100% on wanting monitors but like I said, I've grown to trust your inputs.

I accidentally clicked post before I was done so if someone could delete that first post please...

Last edited by Billwallace89 : 01-19-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #27
chatterbox272

Quote:
So my argument ending question is, after I pick up my 2i4, and Reaper. Would you guys suggest upgrading to ProTools at some point?

If you think you need too. If you're using REAPER, and you don't find anything there that's a limitation then there's no good reason to change IMO. If however you use REAPER and get really into it, then start finding things that REAPER just can't do but Pro Tools can then obviously you will want to consider getting it. In any case, by the time that you may want to switch to Pro Tools you will be experienced enough to make that decision for yourself.

Quote:
And my other question is after I get Reaper it may put off my purchase of monitors for awhile. Is Reaper worth that? I have a devent set of Koss Pro/4AA studio headphones for the time being. I'm not 100% on wanting monitors but like I said, I've grown to trust your inputs.

Well I actually don't own monitors, but my mate who I learned most of my stuff off has a pair (dunno what) and I could really hear things in his mixes that I didn't hear when I was giving him crit on them from home.
That said, I'd take headphones and REAPER over monitors and Audacity any day, with some good referencing on multiple systems (mixing headphones, cheap earbuds, car speakers, etc.) you can get by quite well without monitors.

Quote:
I accidentally clicked post before I was done so if someone could delete that first post please...

You should be able to delete it yourself, just click the edit button then up the top there should be an option to delete it
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.

Last edited by chatterbox272 : 01-19-2013 at 11:38 PM.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:52 AM   #28
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Product description says 16 audio tracks, just limited to 8 simultaneous in/outs, which beginners really wouldn't hit and this doesn't sound like it includes internal busses. Doing it right means just one output, and they wouldn't really be tracking 8 simultaneous inputs. Yeah, it's still limited, but honestly beginners don't need much more than that. Plus they get a discounted upgrade price when they're ready for the full Pro Tools.

Ahh, got them reversed. Still doesn't leave much room to grow. I know discounted upgrades and that are nice but like I said, a fully functional copy of Reaper & a Scarlett 2i4 is $260 and you're set for life. Also, PT Express or SE or whatever they call it is very buggy to the point that its unstable, from what I've read on other boards. True, a new user isn't going to need more than 16 tracks but if your needs expand beyond that, you're gonna have to shell out a few hundred bucks to expand versus Reaper where you're set for life. I'd rather have and not use than to get by then shell out a few hundred more bucks.

As many resources for Pro Tools you can find, you can find just as much for Reaper. Reaper has always been the underdog Home Studio DAW IMO and there are just tons of free resources for it. Also, stuff like The Recording Revolution, even though he mixes in PT, you can do a good majority of that in Reaper as well since most is just basic EQing, Compressing & such. He does a few PT specific things but its mostly universal.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #29
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
I've grown to trust Chatterbox, Lockwolf, and Chemicalfires' opinions on these forums so the argument ovER the DAW is just relative now. I'm going with Reaper. If they suggest it as a good beginner's software then I'll go with it. And I've checked Reaper's site And the support does seem unsurpassed.
My next question may end some of the argument. Lockwolf: I do plan on 'sticking with it'. I've been doing my own recordings for a long time I just never got into the advanced methods of recording. My SoundCloud is Www.soundcloud.com/old-too-young-us.

Sensible choice, REAPER is a great bit of software. If you've got a larger monitor (at last 1080p), check out the Imperial theme - it completely transforms the look and makes it really nice to use.

Those latest recordings on your soundcloud sound really solid - a bit bright and thin but highly listenable. If you start using a little bit of ambience to fill out the sound, you'll have some very nice demos.

As well as Reaper, have a little play with Studio One Free.
It's way too crippled to use as a main DAW, but I think Studio One has the easiest and most intuitive workflow of any recording software, and is a lot less scary to newcomers.

Try it now as an intermediate step up between Audacity and Reaper; you use it for a week or two to get a grip of the basic DAW mechanics and then when you move over to Reaper, the mass of effects and buttons won't seem so overwheming. Reaper is awesome, but it does have a TON of options, context menus and UI elements which are very daunting to a newcomer.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #30
Afroboy267
UG's Metastatic Resonance

Logic for Mac. Reaper for PC.

Each DAW has it's advantages and disadvantages. I've tried most of them and come to the conclusion these two have the best cost to usability ratio.

Looking for Vocalists for Online Collaboration
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...58#post32948058

Last edited by Afroboy267 : 01-20-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Afroboy267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #31
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroboy267
Logic for Mac. Reaper for PC.

Each DAW has it's advantages and disadvantages. I've tried most of them and come to the conclusion these two have the best cost to usability ratio.

But u can get reaper for the mac ?

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #32
Afroboy267
UG's Metastatic Resonance

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4D
But u can get reaper for the mac ?

True, I've tried both on Mac and I'd defiantly take Logic over it anyday. Reaper is bloody good but I've always preferred Logic personally.

Looking for Vocalists for Online Collaboration
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...58#post32948058
Afroboy267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #33
strangedogs
An Old Dude with an AX...

I have Logic 9 but actually use Reaper more too. I just ordered an Eleven Rack from B&H Photo so I'm going to be running Pro Tools 10 shortly.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #34
Billwallace89
Go Blackhawks!

So Studio One Free or Krystal?
Old 01-21-2013, 01:46 AM   #35
chatterbox272

Quote:
So Studio One Free or Krystal?

Haven't had much experience with either (I used to use REAPERs unlimited trial until I was capable of paying) but they're both pretty limited. Kristal is limited to 16 tracks, 2 vsts per track and 3 on the master. I don't know what the limitations are on Studio One Free but I imagine there's a fair few of those too (I'm sure Kyle can enlighten us to those)
If I had to pick one blindly I'd probably trust Kyle and go Studio One. Which oddly enough is actually developed (partially) by KristalLabs (who make Kristal) so I would guess that all the good things about Kristal are in Studio One.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #36
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
I don't know what the limitations are on Studio One Free but I imagine there's a fair few of those too (I'm sure Kyle can enlighten us to those)

Pretty severe:

- No third party plugins
- Limited to 2 simultaneous inputs
- No track folders
- No transient/groove detection

The effects that come with it are nice though, you could put together an ok mix with them. That said, even their budget priced 'Studio One Artist' doesn't support VSTs (which is a complete and utter dick move for any paid/bundled software).

I'd download the Studio One, use it in Professional demo mode for 30 days, and get the hang of general workflow in a really nice, streamlined environment. Once the trial runs out, move over to REAPER and you should find it quite nice to work with (if a little more complex at times).
Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #37
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

StudioOne is awesome... but I have the producer package.

Really I wouldn't use the free version as a serious mixing tool, nice to demo though.

Really at this early stage I still can't recomend REAPER enough.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #38
Billwallace89
Go Blackhawks!

I just meant until I get Reaper. I'll just get the trial until then
Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #39
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
StudioOne is awesome... but I have the producer package.

Really I wouldn't use the free version as a serious mixing tool, nice to demo though.

Really at this early stage I still can't recomend REAPER enough.

Agreed. I think S1 Producer is the best general-purpose DAW out there right now. Fantastic workflow, extremely stable, integrated mastering, and comes with excellent bundled plugins.

The only thing that really properly annoys me about it is the total lack of plugin organisation (Sonar absolutely nailed that).
Old 01-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #40
Billwallace89
Go Blackhawks!

Does Reaper support Hybrit amp sims? That was the line suggested to me.

Rate This Thread: