Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Thomas_Erak_Fan

How is this a C major scale?

I'm looking at the scale this site gave me and I don't quite understand.

I thought you start the scale off with C. Here they're saying fret 5 high E string which is note A.

Can someone enlighten me?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
cdgraves

It's just a map of the notes in the scale. It's not telling you in what order to play them.

Look in the "Patterns" column there, and you can select where on the neck to start the scale patterns.

It's very good practice to do scales by playing every note of the scale that occurs on the fretobard, even if the lowest note is not the root of the scale. If you play C major from lowest C major note to highest Cmajor note, you start with your open low E string.

Last edited by cdgraves : 01-18-2013 at 11:58 PM.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #3
saint_berzerker
Banned

That's the C major scale. Like the guy above said, it just isn't listing them starting with a "C" note.

Most lessons/tab will start off on the ROOT note just to make it easier.
saint_berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Fur Elise is in the key of A minor, but it starts on an E.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:22 AM   #5
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

It's a C major scale starting in a different position. It still contains all the notes from C major. Here's another way to think of it...

The G minor pentatonic scale is often thought to start at the 3rd fret of the 6th string. However, there are five positions of G minor pentatonic. Each is comprised of the same notes, however it starts in a different place of the 6th string. There's another G minor pentatonic scale that starts on the 6th fret of the 6th string. That note is Bb, but it still uses all the notes of the scale.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
Bad Kharmel

you're an idiot
Bad Kharmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #7
donegan_zealot
UG's Clueless Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
It's a C major scale starting in a different position. It still contains all the notes from C major. Here's another way to think of it...

The G minor pentatonic scale is often thought to start at the 3rd fret of the 6th string. However, there are five positions of G minor pentatonic. Each is comprised of the same notes, however it starts in a different place of the 6th string. There's another G minor pentatonic scale that starts on the 6th fret of the 6th string. That note is Bb, but it still uses all the notes of the scale.

uhh wut
donegan_zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:09 AM   #8
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

^ What's the issue?
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #9
chronowarp

he's perplexed by the fact that you can play a note on the guitar in more than one place.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:04 AM   #10
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

All of those notes fit into the C major scale. What note you start on doesn't matter at all. All that matters is what the tonal center is - that's the note that will determine the key - and the interval pattern around that note will determine if it's major or minor or diminished, etc.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #11
:-D
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by donegan_zealot
uhh wut

kudos on your accurate user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Thomas_Erak_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgraves
It's just a map of the notes in the scale. It's not telling you in what order to play them.

Look in the "Patterns" column there, and you can select where on the neck to start the scale patterns.

It's very good practice to do scales by playing every note of the scale that occurs on the fretobard, even if the lowest note is not the root of the scale. If you play C major from lowest C major note to highest Cmajor note, you start with your open low E string.

OK, I get it now, thanks!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by donegan_zealot
uhh wut

Study a little theory, friend. You'll eventually get it.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
Hail
kill both bass players

stop thinking in scales, god damn it

this whole music thing will be a lot easier when you stop trying to box everything into fucking scales and just use your ear

there are no shortcuts to making music, and you're learning this lesson firsthand because your entire education is based around you trying to find the easy way out like this.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #15
cdgraves

I wouldn't call learning scales the "easy" way of doing anything. Knowing all your diatonic scales and the three minors is really just very basic musicianship. Being able to breeze through them gives you a serious head start when you get to "using your ear" stuff like transcription/dictation and learning songs by ear.

It's extraordinarily difficult to organize music sensibly without basic vocabulary such as scales, chords, and basic harmonic concepts. I think it's very beneficial to work on all those skills concurrently, not only to avoid frustration, but because the best music is achieved by using logical, technical, and aural skills together.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #16
liampje
UG Addict

The C major scale contains: C D E F G A B
Regardless of the order of the notes, it is C major.

You also don't say a song is a C major scale, it makes use of the notes within that scale.

Don't approach a scale like it's sequence is holy and must always be presented in a standard order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMine
Lydian isn't going to make you sound like Steve Vai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
Well, not without a fan, at least.
liampje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #18
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
I wouldn't call learning scales the "easy" way of doing anything. Knowing all your diatonic scales and the three minors is really just very basic musicianship. Being able to breeze through them gives you a serious head start when you get to "using your ear" stuff like transcription/dictation and learning songs by ear.

It's extraordinarily difficult to organize music sensibly without basic vocabulary such as scales, chords, and basic harmonic concepts. I think it's very beneficial to work on all those skills concurrently, not only to avoid frustration, but because the best music is achieved by using logical, technical, and aural skills together.

scales are inherent within keys

to learn them is redundant beyond chord construction and entering intervals

aka after like a week you should forget they exist

Last edited by Hail : 01-19-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #19
cdgraves

Key and scale differ considerably, as you can play in a single key and utilize multiple scales via modulation and borrowing (iv, bIV, bII, +6th chords). Especially in pieces with frequent modulation and chromaticism, having the scale vocabulary is very useful for analysis, even though you probably don't want to play them in a linear fashion.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #20
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Key and scale differ considerably,

are you really gonna tell me this? isn't that like the thesis for the last 3 months of every serious post i've had on this forum?

use your ears and understanding of intervals and movement. you'll have a lot better results than a "scale vocabulary"

a scale vocabulary is just a series of presets for people not intuitive enough to create their own sounds and explore all of the options available.

Rate This Thread: