Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Patsfan1281

Forming a band in college?

I'm not in college but in about one year I will be and I want to know is it pretty easy to start up a band while in college and have any users on here started a band while in college. And if it helps im in Atlanta,GA
Patsfan1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

That depends. I assume your main goal in college is to get a degree. If you can balance getting good grades with playing a band, more power to you. I wouldn't say it's easy to do that though. It may be easy to find bandmates, but I doubt it'll be easy to balance good grades with having a band.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Patsfan1281

That's true about the grades and all but you don't go to classes everyday, with these days you don't think you could fit in band practicing or is college that much harder than high school
Old 05-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole

I never made a band but I could have. I was too busy accompanying (gettin paaaaiiidd). There is plenty of time for practicing in most curriculums; you just have to find the right bandmates (if there is a music school just looking around there you can find some.) so a music minor isn't such a bad idea if you want to meet potential band mates.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

When don't go to classes, you'll be studying. At least, I did. And you should too. College (at least, your non-general classes) is that much harder than high school, or at least there's a lot more work involved for the majority of us. If, for instance, you got mostly B's in HS (not terribly hard to do if you put in a small amount of effort), you'll have to put in a lot more effort to get mostly B's in college.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Ablazean

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
When don't go to classes, you'll be studying. At least, I did. And you should too. College (at least, your non-general classes) is that much harder than high school, or at least there's a lot more work involved for the majority of us. If, for instance, you got mostly B's in HS (not terribly hard to do if you put in a small amount of effort), you'll have to put in a lot more effort to get mostly B's in college.

Damn, I feel sorry for you. Everyone I knew in college had loads of free time. Most people only study around midterms and finals and do just fine. Did you go to an ivy league or something?

Anyway, to answer OP's question...it should be pretty easy to form a band in college, especially in Atlanta. Just get involved with the music scene, go to shows and talk to people.
Ablazean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Patsfan1281

May I ask what courses did you guys take while in college
Old 05-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Just spent a year playing in a University band. It's VERY different from playing in a normal band. You spend far less time on it and the focus in on fun.

It was actually a nice change from the relentless gigging of bands I've played with in the past. And it's always more about playing with people who love playing than anything else.

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Ablazean

I suppose everyone has a different college experience. I gigged a ****ton in Gainesville while attending UF. I think the take away here is that there's so much opportunity and variety in any given college town (or surrounding municipality), that your possibilities are endless.
Ablazean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablazean
Damn, I feel sorry for you. Everyone I knew in college had loads of free time. Most people only study around midterms and finals and do just fine. Did you go to an ivy league or something?

Ivy League? No. I'm a comp sci student. Do most of the people you know also commute, btw? Because I do. I admit I would have more time if I lived in the the dorms, but some of my classes were set up so that we didn't have midterms or exams. Instead, we have labs and quizzes. So, that meant you had to do well on those to get a good grade. I do admit I work extra hard though, because I originally ****ed up bigtime in university. I've since returned, after working for a year and getting a 2 year degree. I do have homework every night though, which is fairly typical of people in my degree program.

Of course, it's not like I don't have free time. I spend time playing games on my PC and such, and I have a fiancee. But my school work does come first. All in all, since I've a B average, I'd say it's working out well for me.

Bandcamp

Rate This Thread: