Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #61
Viban
UG's resident bum
 
Viban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
What do you need an ENT for cath?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Bastards.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #62
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Wooden ears.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #63
Viban
UG's resident bum
 
Viban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
that sounds like a deathcore band name.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Bastards.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #64
ch1ng_chung
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
WTF?


No sustain and thin-sounding if you use the normal, bluesy-rockish OD, with the ability to blurr chords with ice-pick trebles

Unbearable mushiness or ice-pick trebles, never both, combined with very loose chug-chug action in the OD 2 (more intense overdrive)

Sounds like any normal basswood guitar marketed to 12 year old wannabe Van Halens

FYI, I use the normal OD because I can't stand the second one


It's as if the rule with guitar amps is more knobs = worse tone, because the best sounding amps I've every heard had only EQ/tone, Volume, and Gain (and maybe reverb)

Last edited by ch1ng_chung : 01-22-2013 at 09:31 PM.
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #65
Viban
UG's resident bum
 
Viban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
No sustain and thin-sounding if you use the normal, bluesy-rockish OD

Unbearable mushiness or ice-pick trebles, never both, combined with chug-chug action in the OD 2 (more intense overdrive)

Sounds like any normal basswood guitar marketed to 12 year old wannabe Van Halens

FYI, I use the normal OD because I can't stand the second one


It's as if the rule with guitar amps is more knobs = worse tone, because the best sounding amps I've every heard had only EQ/tone, Volume, and Gain (and maybe reverb)


Your argument is invalid.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Bastards.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #66
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
A superstrat is thin with no sustain? This hole you're digging is getting deeper and deeper by the minute.

A Mesa Mark V has bad tone? Seriously, put down the shovel and walk away.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #67
Viban
UG's resident bum
 
Viban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
A superstrat is thin with no sustain? This hole you're digging is getting deeper and deeper by the minute.

A Mesa Mark V has bad tone? Seriously, put down the shovel and walk away.

Duh brah.
I bet you a squier through one of those would have real gud toanz, it's only got 2 knobs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Bastards.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #68
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
I build 18W'ers, they only have two knobs and will kick that thing's ^ arse. Still, I can think of many amps with a plethora of knobs that sound great. As you demonstrated, number of tells you jack shit.
This thread just gets dumber and dumber by the minute.

__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 01-22-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #69
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
A superstrat is thin with no sustain? This hole you're digging is getting deeper and deeper by the minute.

A Mesa Mark V has bad tone? Seriously, put down the shovel and walk away.



Yeah. My Mark V sucks. It has more than 3 knobs.... not like the switches for different voicing on the channels give you completely new sounds or anything. Not like they sound good either.


More cats....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #70
Viban
UG's resident bum
 
Viban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I build 18W'ers, they only have two knobs and will kick that thing's ^ arse. Still, I can think of many amps with a plethora of knobs that sound great. As you demonstrated, number of tells you jack shit.
This thread just gets dumber and dumber by the minute.


The diezel or the epiphone? Anything could kick the epiphone's ass, the diezel however I would like to see.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Bastards.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #71
Volcz
The Vox Dude
 
Volcz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Less talk more cats.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.

Last edited by Volcz : 01-22-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #72
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Both.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #73
Viban
UG's resident bum
 
Viban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Both.

well then, too bad I don't live in good o'l 'straya otherwise I'd be bugging you all the time .
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Bastards.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 AM   #74
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser
 
NakedInTheRain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Straya
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
No sustain and thin-sounding if you use the normal, bluesy-rockish OD, with the ability to blurr chords with ice-pick trebles

Unbearable mushiness or ice-pick trebles, never both, combined with very loose chug-chug action in the OD 2 (more intense overdrive)

Sounds like any normal basswood guitar marketed to 12 year old wannabe Van Halens

FYI, I use the normal OD because I can't stand the second one


It's as if the rule with guitar amps is more knobs = worse tone, because the best sounding amps I've every heard had only EQ/tone, Volume, and Gain (and maybe reverb)

are you literally stupid?
__________________
Pedalboard Thread Native: The Fuzzy Little Man Peach

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #75
SexyLikeAPig
Don't judge us fat girls
 
SexyLikeAPig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Being painted like one of your French girls
Sometimes I think that GG&A loves cats more than Reddit.

This thread needs more owls

__________________
RIP Adam
SexyLikeAPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #76
greeny23
Mechromancer
 
greeny23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
the marshall MG?

i'm not a fan.


this is possibly one of the most subtle, yet hilarious comments i've ever read.
__________________
20% OFF ALL PEDALS!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock05
would a pedalboard make my rc20xl loop station sound better? the playback on this thing sucks with batteries and the power supply.
greeny23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #77
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow
 
darkwolf291's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
the marshall MG?

i'm not a fan.

genius

__________________
My Name is Frank

Pedalboard Thread Native: The Thrashaholic


Buy my Thrash Album for whatever price you want!]


Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
It's modelling valve power amp output valves wearing out.



GG&A WTLT List
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #78
ch1ng_chung
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Yeah. My Mark V sucks. It has more than 3 knobs.... not like the switches for different voicing on the channels give you completely new sounds or anything. Not like they sound good either.


More cats....


As with any rule, there are exceptions. I've never had the time to dial in a MESA amp, so I won't comment on those. But I do know that the Marshall TSL, which has a billion different settings, is one of the worst-sounding amps ever. Some dude played it at this performance and you couldn't even tell what chords or notes he was playing. All you heard was "kzzzz,kzz,kzz,zzkz,zzkzk,wheeeeeee (pinch harmonic), kzz zkz,kzz,kzz, kzkz"

I tried to dial it in afterwards when I was to play through it, and all I found was a tone that was barely adequate

Then again, I've never liked the heavier overdrives.
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #79
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
 
AcousticMirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
As with any rule, there are exceptions. I've never had the time to dial in a MESA amp, so I won't comment on those. But I do know that the Marshall TSL, which has a billion different settings, is one of the worst-sounding amps ever. Some dude played it at this performance and you couldn't even tell what chords or notes he was playing. All you heard was "kzzzz,kzz,kzz,zzkz,zzkzk,wheeeeeee (pinch harmonic), kzz zkz,kzz,kzz, kzkz"

I tried to dial it in afterwards when I was to play through it, and all I found was a tone that was barely adequate

Then again, I've never liked the heavier overdrives.


ya and the mg sounds even worse fan and all.
__________________
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
AcousticMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #80
ch1ng_chung
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
ya and the mg sounds even worse fan and all.


How much does Guitar Center pay for used MG100HDFX with MG412A cab?
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.