Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
StageMasters

Just wanted to share a thought here

Just wanted to share a thought here.

I have been very impressed lately by a bunch a amateur musicians.
They only play for fun, a few gigs here and there in projects but no desire nor need to make a career in this business!! Most of them do not spend so much time practicing their instruments either and lack a lot of techniques... still... they have something that many professionals lost on their path to glory... they have an impressive amount of enthusiasm and most of all... they want to have fun!!
Put enthusiasm and fun together...

ENTHUSIASM + FUN = THE MOST POSITIVE ENERGY EVER

I have seen them growing as a team, growing as thinkers in the band, opening their mind to a certain awareness about what they are doing and most importantly about what they are able to do with mostly: THEIR POSITIVE ENERGY!!
About 15 years ago a harmonica player I was playing with (Frederic Yonnet for who knows) told me:
If you don't have the techniques, you have to have the energy!!
Well these guys are the perfect example and demonstration of energy!!
It is an honor for me to coach them and they teach me back a lot with their humility and positive energy.

All of you here, who may have forgotten why you started playing music, remember this time because you were driven by a positive energy, no ego, no expectation for fame, and no greed for money. You just wanted to play, to have fun and to share this fun with anyone willing to listen to you.
THIS, is the musician sleeping inside all of us but that we tend to forget for other reasons that only professional musicians can recall!!

StageMasters
StageMasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
takachan

Exactly, I completely agree, making music is all about the music.
Theres a lot of people who go to school to be graphic designers and programmers, but what I've noticed is, a lot of great tools out there and images we see are made by amateurs who really enjoy what they do.
I think threes a lot of people out there who lost sight of what's most important, and I sometimes do too.
takachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
semus
Mr.

this is very true, i remember i figured it out myself, since then its easy for me to enjoy playing, or enjoy seeing gigs and listening to new stuff, almost like it was when i was introduced to the world of music.

my band - The Real Go-Getters - ty
semus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

If you're not doing for the enjoyment of doing it, you're not doing it for the right reason.

Think technology has a lot to answer for here: 20-30 years ago, people were in a band because they wanted to be in a band. The thought of recording & releasing an album was such a fantasy you didn't even consider it.

Nowadays any idiot with a PC can record & release something on iTunes, so people can claim to have succeeded even if nobody likes what they do. As the dream has become everyone's reality, people treat it as work rather than pleasure and a lot of the fun has gone from it.

Good to see there's still some people out there doing it simply because it's what they enjoy.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: