Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
andrew12398
nom nom nom

What hardware to get for recording

Basically I have $200 right now and I need a general idea of what to get to record. Unfortunately I'm in a dorm and don't have my amp so I need something that will "substitute" for one in addition to something that connects to my PC. I already have Pro Tools LE so I'm not worried about that.

What should I check out?

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
andrew12398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Not a super great budget, but have a look at the Pod stuff. It's within your price range and fits great in a small dorm.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Look for a used Pod of some sort. If you had enough for an HD Pro, I'd say go for that, since you can turn off the stock impulses for recording.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
Billwallace89
Go Blackhawks!

I'm not greatly experienced on it but from my research the Focusrite Saffire 2i4 is exactly what youre looking for. Add some free amp sims on that and you're set. The Pod line howeve has nothing but bad reviews. Saffire 2i4 all the way. It's $200.
Billwallace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #5
chatterbox272

For recording only? An interface (Focusrite Saffire 6/Scarlett 2i4) and some amp sims. LePou has some good ones (LeXTAC and SoloC are my favourites), TSE Audio X30/X40/X50, Nick Crow 7170/8505, etc. and an impulse loader like LeCab with Catharsis or the Sperimental Impulse Pack (The Framus cab was on the AxeFX for a while, but the author was not credited so he asked for it to be removed.). If you're after something more all inclusive I don't know of any free ones, but AcmeBarGig's Headcase amp sim is amazing value for money.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew12398
I already have Pro Tools LE so I'm not worried about that.

You can only use an Mbox with Pro Tools LE. I'd honestly ditch Pro Tools, get Reaper and buy a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Coming from someone who used an Mbox forever, they're terrible in quality.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
andrew12398
nom nom nom

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I was looking at Scarlett 2i4, sounds like my best bet. I'll probably just get that and an amp sim. Any more suggests for those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
You can only use an Mbox with Pro Tools LE. I'd honestly ditch Pro Tools, get Reaper and buy a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Coming from someone who used an Mbox forever, they're terrible in quality.

I have an Mbox Mini 2, probably why I gave up on recording a while back haha

Old 01-20-2013, 01:07 AM   #8
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Yeah, I had the Mbox 2 standard. They were OK when they first came out but compared to a lot of things now, they're trash. Though, like I said, you're probably gonna have to jump to Reaper since Pro Tools LE only supports the Mbox's & Digi 002/003 units. Unless you want to pay for the upgrade from PT LE to PT 10 which opened up support for 3rd party interfaces like the 2i4.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
andrew12398
nom nom nom

Yeah I'm just gonna use Reaper. PT is just way too expensive

Old 01-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew12398
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I was looking at Scarlett 2i4, sounds like my best bet. I'll probably just get that and an amp sim. Any more suggests for those?

Good plan. For amp sims, you've got the TSE and LePou stuff, which is top drawer. Combine their heads with the Redwirez 1960A cab and God's Cab and you'll get some killer tones.

Check out Kuassa (Creme/Amplifikation One/Vermillion etc), they're phenomenal amp sims and way cheaper than most of the commercial ones. Their free version is really good, have a play with it and you'll probably be happy to spend the $30 or so for the full version.

http://www.kuassa.com/products/amplifikation-creme

The free version of Amplitube 3 is worth having, they give you a really good selection of stuff and you can trial/buy individual pieces of gear from their store.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: