User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #41
due 07
haaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinLattes
It's also kind of disgusting how you use whatever socially imposed privilege you have to leap to the defense of minority groups at every opportunity.

i'm sorry if my behavior is disgusting. i don't agree, but if you'd explain to me in what way it disgusts you then i'm liable to change my mind. :]
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #42
MakinLattes
fully retractable

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
How is it disgusting? He's just leveling the playing field. And on top of that, he's not exactly wrong, is he?

It's hypocritical.

Sure, he's right. Next time I'm curious about this topic I'll just prance up to the nearest gay guy and ask him why he sounds like one of them queers. Because that's totally not awkward.
MakinLattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #43
WCPhils
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhiteIsButts
I'll bet the straight guys who talk like that only do so to trick their female friends into thinking that they're gay so they can totes get involved in their sexy slumber parties and they can practice kissing and determine who has the nicest breasts. Clever bastards.

WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #44
ManInTheBox14
In lesbians with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
considering you called the way a subset of gay men speak "weird," it does feel like that's where you're coming from.

I didn't mean it hatefully. It's something that I'd honestly never given much thought to until a few years ago as gay people began to be represented more in pop culture, especially in television, and I wondered, since of the gay people I've known in real life, some spoke with an accent and some didn't, if it was perpetuating a stereotype that all gay men are very flamboyant and such, especially since I'd never heard anyone specifically address the concept. I also probably should have worded my initial response more articulately. I'm honestly sorry if I offended anyone in any way.

I'm dying.
-Is it blissful?
It's like a dream.
-I want to dream.

Blog I Write For
ManInTheBox14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #45
due 07
haaan

Quote:
It's hypocritical.

Sure, he's right. Next time I'm curious about this topic I'll just prance up to the nearest gay guy and ask him why he sounds like one of them queers. Because that's totally not awkward.

yeah, the better idea is to make a discussion aimed at straight people to randomly conjecture about it instead of actually finding out through other (more accurate and moral) means. because that's totally not dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheBox14
I didn't mean it hatefully. It's something that I'd honestly never given much thought to until a few years ago as gay people began to be represented more in pop culture, especially in television, and I wondered, since of the gay people I've known in real life, some spoke with an accent and some didn't, if it was perpetuating a stereotype that all gay men are very flamboyant and such, especially since I'd never heard anyone specifically address the concept. I also probably should have worded my initial response more articulately. I'm honestly sorry if I offended anyone in any way.

i understand. :-)
Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #46
willT08
Banned

Quote:
yeah, the better idea is to make a discussion aimed at straight people to randomly conjecture about it instead of actually finding out through other (more accurate and moral) means. because that's totally not dumb.

What would make it more moral?
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #47
blake1221
‭‭

Quote:
It's hypocritical.

Can you please point out the hypocrisy? I'm failing to see it, honestly. He's the last person you'll find to crack a derogatory joke of any kind.

Unless it's about something completely frivolous like music tastes.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #48
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

I've met maybe one or two gay guys that talk like that. The rest talk like normal dudes.
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #49
MakinLattes
fully retractable

Quote:

It's not random in the least. I'm sure there have been studies on this speech pattern before, so that would be the best way to get to the bottom of this, and the most moral, instead of putting some poor person on the spot. If anyone cares enough. Do you? I don't. I just offered my own ignorant opinion and saw captain-save-a-marginalized-group come swooping in yet again.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #50
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

It's a social behaviour based on their contemporaries having adopted the camp style of holding oneself. It isn't forced per se, but it isn't their 'natural voice', much like the way you talk to a child isn't your natural voice.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #51
MakinLattes
fully retractable

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
Can you please point out the hypocrisy? I'm failing to see it, honestly.

Yeah, you would. It would be a pretty long and boring explanation, but there's probably no other way for him to live so all is forgiven.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #52
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

I can see Due becoming the liberal version of Bill Donahue.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #53
due 07
haaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
What would make it more moral?

for starter's, the conversation could be more inclusive of not just "gay accent" folks, but queers as well. i mean reading this thread at first seemed like no one could imagine a 'gay accenter' reading their posts; from the very beginning no one made any effort as far as being inclusive goes. it was all very off-putting.
Quote:
Yeah, you would. It would be a pretty long and boring explanation, but there's probably no other way for him to live so all is forgiven.

i don't see it as hypocritical. privilege isn't opt-out yanno.

personally, i dig long and boring explanations so i'm all ears.

Last edited by due 07 : 01-19-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #54
blake1221
‭‭

Quote:
Yeah, you would.

Well, that's rude.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #55
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
If it's not forced then it can be used as evidence of some kind of genetic trait of homosexuality. Which, honestly, would be cool. I'm of the mind that absolutely everything, down to your personality and interests, is at least influenced by your genetic makeup. I would be genuinely surprised if there wasn't some link between genes and sexual orientation.

Personally, I theorize that the gay lisp started as a way for gay people to identify each other in public, back when homosexuality wasn't open. Over time it simply became part of gay culture.

Although I wonder at what point in a gay person's life they sit down and go "I really need to start working on that lisp." Like, 15? 19? Do they get a tape recorder and practice?

Last edited by Seref : 01-19-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Seref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #56
eGraham
¬cool

A guy I work with sounds pretty gay. In fact, I'm still not convinced he isn't. But everyone else says he isn't.
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #57
Ian_the_fox
Banned

I honestly think it depends on if they're on the top or the bottom. I've found that generally the more submissive, feminine guys, who usually take it rather than give it, talk with the lisp while the ones who are on top or bisexual usually sound normal, like straight dudes almost.

If I could give an example, Jefree Starr vs. Rob Halford.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #58
willT08
Banned

Quote:
for starter's, the conversation could be more inclusive of not just "gay accent" folks, but queers as well. i mean reading this thread at first seemed like no one could imagine a 'gay accenter' reading their posts; from the very beginning no one made any effort as far as being inclusive goes. it was all very off-putting.

Well it's not like this conversation is 'immoral' in any real sense. Some gay people being here to chat would make it better informed certainly, not so much moral.

The only thing I've found off-putting so far is your use of the word 'queers'. I don't even know why, it's just not a term we like to use in the UK.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #59
Weaponized

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGunslinger
Every single gay guy i've ever known has talked like that, although I know a straight who has it aswell

I've got some news for your friend...

last.fm
Weaponized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #60
VillainousLatin
That Latino Guy

Almost all of the gay guys I've talked to had a noticeably different "accent" than other people, except for this one guy. I swear I don't know if he fakes the voice I heard because he was working at McDonald's and they don't allow gay employees or whatever but it really surprised me that he had one of the manliest voices I've ever heard, although I'm pretty sure I've heard him somewhere else and he sounded different, but I could be wrong.

Rate This Thread: