User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
JimmyCraig
Dazed and Confounded

Bass and amp for under $1000

Hi there

First off bass is a beautiful beats, fell in love with them the first time I played one. I've been playing piano for 2 years and guitar for 1, and I was the bassist for a band(borrowed a friends bass who as in the band) before we broke up. Now I decided it's finally time to get my butt into gear and buy myself a bass and amp.

My budget is $1000 for the amp and bass combined. I've been looking at a few basses, such as the fender modern player jazz bass, mustang bass and squier precision vibe bass which all seem pretty good. I also found a epiphone thunderbird bass that was nice and cheap, cheap enough to fix the nose dive problem. I also heard good things about the ibanez basses, but they have such a wide range I don't know which one to choose.

As for the amp I don't have much of a selection, I could go for a Orange crush pix bass amp which I've been eyeing, the 100w one, or possibly a marshall MB series, or or or. I don't really know which one to get, and I have about a $400 price range for it. I will be using it for gigging, and recording, so it needs to be powerful.

My favourite bass sounds come from led zeppelin (think lemon song), Pink floyd (money) and death from above 1979.

If you took the time to read this, thanks, and sorry for wasting a few minutes of your life.
JimmyCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCraig
My budget is $1000 for the amp and bass combined.

Good budget, you should have plenty of options under that.

Quote:
I've been looking at a few basses, such as the fender modern player jazz bass, mustang bass and squier precision vibe bass which all seem pretty good. I also found a epiphone thunderbird bass that was nice and cheap, cheap enough to fix the nose dive problem. I also heard good things about the ibanez basses, but they have such a wide range I don't know which one to choose.

I have little experience with Fenders so I won't comment on those. Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified are very good bang for buck (and generally good basses). Epiphone Thunderbirds are very controversial, so that you need to compare it to others and decide whether the tone and feel is right for you and what you're playing (more so than other basses). The Ibanez SR series are also very nice basses, although I find they can be a little uncomfortable at first if you're sitting down because their narrow body places all the weight over a small part of your leg. But that's just me. I also like Yamaha basses; The RBX stuff is good bang for buck, and I don't know how much they cost but the BBs and TRBs are quite nice too (or so I hear).

Quote:
As for the amp I don't have much of a selection, I could go for a Orange crush pix bass amp which I've been eyeing, the 100w one, or possibly a marshall MB series, or or or. I don't really know which one to get, and I have about a $400 price range for it. I will be using it for gigging, and recording, so it needs to be powerful.

Those Orange amps are kinda meh, I wouldn't bother. The MBs are the bass equivalent of an MG. That is, they trade entirely on the name "Marshall" (which isn't even as big a deal in bass world). Unless you have something really nice like an SVT or B15 then the majority of recorded bass tone is from a DI, so that's a non-issue. The go to recommendations here are Acoustic or Ashdown (depending on where in the world you are), as well as Peavey, and sometimes Kustom.

Quote:
My favourite bass sounds come from led zeppelin (think lemon song), Pink floyd (money) and death from above 1979.

I believe the Zeppelin sound would be pulled mostly from a Precision Bass with Flatwound strings.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
saberrocks
SaberMaidenfan

Amp-wise, are you looking for a combo or a stack? As for combo's, I would look into Ashdown or Ampeg. I myself own an Ashdown combo which is extremely durable, and an Ashdown cabinet with a Hartke head, for about 400 bucks.
saberrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Robbgnarly

there is a used GK 400RBIII 2x10 combo on Guitarcenters site for $299 add a 1x15 GK ext. cab for $199 used and here is a used (it says USA ) Jazz bass P/J set up for $399

Hear are the item #'s
enter them in the search bar on the guitarcenter web site.

The bass player in one of my bands has an amp set-up like this and he sounds great and is plenty loud for anything you'll ever do.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 01-20-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
JimmyCraig
Dazed and Confounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
there is a used GK 400RBIII 2x10 combo on Guitarcenters site for $299 add a 1x15 GK ext. cab for $199 used and here is a used (it says USA ) Jazz bass P/J set up for $399

Hear are the item #'s
enter them in the search bar on the guitarcenter web site.

Unfortunately I live in South Africa
JimmyCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Unfortunately I live in South Africa

Sorry I tried
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey