User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #21
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0guitartabber
I'm planning to learn Maj7, min7, Dom7 and Dim7 arpeggios.
How would you build your practice routine?

I would build my routine like this ...

Start with CMaj7.

For 5-10 minutes play 1-octave arpeggios beginning with root-position arpeggios starting from the bottom E-string. Move my way methodically from root-position arpeggios to 3rd-inversion arpeggios. Move my way methodically from arpeggios starting on the bottom E-string to those starting on the top E-string. Alternate between playing arpeggios starting on the bottom note of the arpeggiated chord and arpeggios starting on the top note of the arpeggiated chord.

The next day move on to, e.g. FMaj7 and do the same.

Work my way methodically around the cycle of 4ths/5ths until I get back to where I started, then move onto 2-octave arpeggios and do the same. Then do 3-octave arpeggios.

There are other games you can play within these parameters, such as:

Add a metronome beat and the requirement to play the next note in the arpeggio on every metronome beat.

Start on the first note of the harmonised major or natural/harmonic/melodic minor scales. Each successive arpeggio will be on the next chord up in the scale until you reach the top, when you turn around and come back down. Or you can start at the 'top' of the scale and go down then back up.

As before but swap inversions on each successive chord (e.g. CMaj7, Dm7/F, Em7/B, FMaj7/E, ...); each time I get to the beginning of a new scale repeat shift the inversion pattern to the left (e.g. CMaj7/E, Dm7/A, Em7/D, FMaj7, ...).

Don't worry too much about progressing round the entire set of games I can play with this stuff. The point is to (a) increase my ability to find the correct note on the fretboard, (b) increase my ability to recall chords quickly, (c) learn to think on my feet.

Remember (and keep reminding myself when it's ****ing tedious and I'd really rather go do something else) that none of these these skills are acquired overnight, but by short amounts of daily practice.

Or I could just learn a bunch of arpeggio shapes and never quite feel like I'd mastered my instrument.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: