Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
Airfish

PRS SE Tremonti - head falling ??

Hi there.

Iīm thinking about byuing a PRS SE Tremonti - the "non-signature" cheaper one with fixed bridge. So far I couldnīt find a shop near me, where I could try it out myself, so I started searching for reviews. And I found one disturbing issue: some people complain about the guitar-body being too light, causing the head to fall.

Do you have personal experience with this issue? Is the balance problem really so bad? Or say: could you compare it to Gibson Les Paul Studio? I have that LP, no problem otherwise, but it has an annoyingly falling head. Donīt want another axe like that. Is it similar with that PRS? Or worse? Or less dramatic?

Thanx in advance for your experience.
Airfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfish
Hi there.

Iīm thinking about byuing a PRS SE Tremonti - the "non-signature" cheaper one with fixed bridge. So far I couldnīt find a shop near me, where I could try it out myself, so I started searching for reviews. And I found one disturbing issue: some people complain about the guitar-body being too light, causing the head to fall.

Do you have personal experience with this issue? Is the balance problem really so bad? Or say: could you compare it to Gibson Les Paul Studio? I have that LP, no problem otherwise, but it has an annoyingly falling head. Donīt want another axe like that. Is it similar with that PRS? Or worse? Or less dramatic?

Thanx in advance for your experience.

1. The PRS Tremonti SE is a sig model and it only comes in a hardtail

2. The body is solid Mahogany which is a heavier wood. I hev never heard of any neck dive problems with it or any PRS model at all. Now SG style guitars are notorius for neck dive.

3. I have owned and used many Gibson LP and other LP style guitars. they are heavier than most guitars, but they are fairly well balanced guitars
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
halfj06

It's called neck dive. I've never played the tremonti but I've played the santana and single cut se and they were very well balanced

Last edited by halfj06 : 01-20-2013 at 09:41 AM.
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Airfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
1. The PRS Tremonti SE is a sig model and it only comes in a hardtail

2. The body is solid Mahogany which is a heavier wood. I hev never heard of any neck dive problems with it or any PRS model at all. Now SG style guitars are notorius for neck dive.

3. I have owned and used many Gibson LP and other LP style guitars. they are heavier than most guitars, but they are fairly well balanced guitars

Hey man, thanx for the good news!

But still:

I guess itīs forbidden to put links here, so I have to write it out. I found two different versions of that PRS.

The exact name of the cheaper one is "PRS SE Tremonti BK/VC" (black/vintage cherry). It costs 555 euros (739 USD) in one of Europeīs major web-shops. And itīs a hardtail one.

The exaxt name of the expensive one is "PRS Mark Tremonti Trem CB (charcoal burst)" and itīs well over 3000 euros. And it has a PRS Up Route tremolo.

Now I believe the expensive one is heavy enough and well balanced, for that price, but do you think the cheaper one can be equally heavy, i.e. equally well balanced? I donīt mean the difference, made by the different bridge type, but a possibly different body shape (more/less bevelled) - I canīt tell it from the pictures....

Thanx for your patience with me....
Old 01-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfish
Hey man, thanx for the good news!

But still:

I guess itīs forbidden to put links here, so I have to write it out. I found two different versions of that PRS.

The exact name of the cheaper one is "PRS SE Tremonti BK/VC" (black/vintage cherry). It costs 555 euros (739 USD) in one of Europeīs major web-shops. And itīs a hardtail one.

The exaxt name of the expensive one is "PRS Mark Tremonti Trem CB (charcoal burst)" and itīs well over 3000 euros. And it has a PRS Up Route tremolo.

Now I believe the expensive one is heavy enough and well balanced, for that price, but do you think the cheaper one can be equally heavy, i.e. equally well balanced? I donīt mean the difference, made by the different bridge type, but a possibly different body shape (more/less bevelled) - I canīt tell it from the pictures....

Thanx for your patience with me....

The Tremonti SE is part of the PRS SE line these are made in Korea and are really a good guitar for the money. The PRS Mark tremonti is the USA made PRS SIG model that is why there is such a big price diffrence.

No the Tremonti Se is not as good as the USA model, but the SE is still well balanced andn pretty comfortable to play. The pickups in the SE are diecent, but ofcorse the USA has the better pickups.

The USA made Tremonti is an extremely heavy guitar, and the SE is deff lighter. There should not be any bad neck diving problems at all with it.

The PRS Tremonti SE is a good guitar for a good price (At least hear in the USA they are ~$550 new or 413€
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Airfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
The Tremonti SE is part of the PRS SE line these are made in Korea and are really a good guitar for the money. The PRS Mark tremonti is the USA made PRS SIG model that is why there is such a big price diffrence.

No the Tremonti Se is not as good as the USA model, but the SE is still well balanced andn pretty comfortable to play. The pickups in the SE are diecent, but ofcorse the USA has the better pickups.

The USA made Tremonti is an extremely heavy guitar, and the SE is deff lighter. There should not be any bad neck diving problems at all with it.

The PRS Tremonti SE is a good guitar for a good price (At least hear in the USA they are ~$550 new or 413€

Thatīs what I needed to know, cheers man, and greetings to sunny Florida from snowy Slovakia!

As for the prices: well, lots of stuff is cheaper over the ocean, not just guitars and cars....

And as for those PUs, no big deal, Iīm planning to change them anyway.... Thinkinī about some passive HBs with a sweet singing semi-vintage / semi-modern tone, and definitely someting good for coil tapping. But I have a different thread on that topic....
Old 01-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

Maybe he's tired?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

i have played so many guitars with neck dive. ugh. out of all the things that bug me on guitars neck dive is the worst. dont risk it, play it first. for me its almost impossible cause you have to hold the damn ting up with your left hand and try and play at the same time. more than likely has to do with sh*tty quality controll as they are probably made in china or korea or somewhere else in asia. i have a usa explorer with no issues. will never get anything else again for that reason almost being soley it
Vicious_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious_Turtle
i have played so many guitars with neck dive. ugh. out of all the things that bug me on guitars neck dive is the worst. dont risk it, play it first. for me its almost impossible cause you have to hold the damn ting up with your left hand and try and play at the same time. more than likely has to do with sh*tty quality controll as they are probably made in china or korea or somewhere else in asia. i have a usa explorer with no issues. will never get anything else again for that reason almost being soley it

PRS guitars as a whole are very well balanced guitars, even the SE models
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
Airfish

Quote:

Well, I definitely donīt want to defend the Asians, thereīs really a big pile of sh*t coming from them to the States and also to Europe. But my personal experience is different. The worst neck dive experience Iīve had, is my USA made Les Paul Studio. No sh*t. Otherwise the quality of that axe is A+, but I guess the horrible neck dive is caused by the carved body. Mahogany, but carved, i.e. very light. On the other hand, I have a Chinese Ibanez DN520 - itīs solid sapele wood (equally heavy, if not heavier than mahogany), really heavy as f**k, but perfectly balanced. Even my luthier couldnīt believe it, he said that was the best Chinese axe heīs ever seen. Maybe I was just lucky....

But yeah, I agree with you, I value other peopleīs advice, thatīs why Iīm asking for it, but I will definitely try to get that guitar in my hands before buying....

Last edited by Airfish : 01-20-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
danvwman

A $550 guitar that you CANNOT properly adjust intonation on is ridiculous!

If you change gauge from what is was built with you may never get it to play in tune.

Buy a guitar you can adjust individual string intonation on. PRS screws you on the models they put this cheap azz bridge on.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvwman

If you change gauge from what is was built with you may never get it to play in tune.

Buy a guitar you can adjust individual string intonation on. PRS screws you on the models they put this cheap azz bridge on.

While I do agree the bridge is not the greatest, you can get a adjustable wraparound bridge for <$75.
To some this is an issue, but for others it is not one at all.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 01-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
T00DEEPBLUE
Hello Victoria

Quote:

How does shitty quality control have anything to do with neck dive?
Quote:

I agree with this though, I hate those bridges. Nobody should have to pay $75 for the bridge that the guitar should have. It should already have it, even if it comes with a small upcharge.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 01-20-2013 at 01:09 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #14
Airfish

Quote:

WTF ?!?

You really canīt individually adjust intonation on that cheaper PRS? Well, I looked at that bridge on the pictures, and thought there would be some sort of adjusting inside, underneath.... Now if this is true, thatīs a big problem, because I always change the string gauge. I tend to use heavier gauge than standard - up to 12-54....

Dammit....
Old 01-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
danvwman

Sad thing is , they use that bridge on more expensive guitars, even the $5000 ones too.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Sad thing is , they use that bridge on more expensive guitars, even the $5000 ones too.

Yeah My PRS CE22 has the Trem, wich is one of the best, if not the best vintage style trems there is
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
T00DEEPBLUE
Hello Victoria

You can always buy a new bridge.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #18
3volved

Check out the new Tremonti SE Custom, it's got a much thicker body and a trem. It's much closer to the USA version than the regular SE plus it comes with the 245 pickups.
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
3volved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #19
Airfish

Thanx guys, but I definitely want a hardtail bridge. So I have to make up my mind: buying a new bridge, or moving elsewhere....
Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #20
Auriemma
Still Strummin'

I have the SE Tremonti and an SE Singlecut. Both are well balanced and sound great. A good value for a imported PRS... easily.

You can adjust the intonation on the PRS wrap-around hardtail. It has two set screws in the back of the tail piece in line with the posts. A couple of turns and you are all set.
Ovation '06 Elite-T 1868T
Bradley '77 LP Custom
Boss GT-100

Last edited by Auriemma : 04-25-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Auriemma is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: