Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #21
afwef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcz
As I said, watts is rated in CLEAN HEADROOM not VOLUME.

Trust me, it'll be plenty loud to gig with. If you put an AC30 on full volume, you'd break windows, drown out every single other noise in the room, break your ears, and get the cops turn up cause they heard it from the police station

I'm just not sure how the AC30 would do with old school metal. What's your guitar?

Fender standard stratocaster. We rent studio for cheap price and there is marshall avt50, and it sounds ok for what I need, so I guess vox will sound even better.

And about clean headroom. can you tell me more about it ? How do I know how much clean headroom does amp have ( is this a dumb question ? ) ?

Thomman looks like good option but when you add shipping price, tax and since we are not in EU yet they will include tariff, it is not so good for something I can't even try.

Btw I would like to hear your opinion about H&K statesman quad 40w, how much headroom does he have ? Is he worth buying, I have one near me so I could try it out before buying.
afwef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #22
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

ah right i forgot you're not in the EU yet, sorry about that

clean headroom is basically how long the amp stays clean as you turn the volume knob up. Most tube amps' power tubes will start to distort after you turn them up a certain amount. obviously once you hit this volume limit if you want to play clean at a higher volume than that you're (more or less) out of luck.

i don't think i'd want an ac30 for hard rock. I have a genz benz black pearl (which is sorta their take on a more modern ac30) and even it struggles when you get into hard rock territory.

i don't gig, so treat this with a pinch of salt (i'm just repeating what i've read elsewhere), but normally 30 watts is considered plenty of headroom, or 50 to be sure (of course, with 100 you're really sure, and you might prefer the tone or features of a 100 watt amp).

you can affect the overall volume a bit with more efficient speakers, too. which is worth bearing in mind.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: