Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
sk8aman23
UG's Official Streaker

Looking for info on THE CRAZIEST BASS YOU'VE EVER SEEN!!!!

Yeah, you read the title right. A most excellent score from the mighty craigslist. So far I know it's a '78 P-bass blacked out with a maple neck. What I would absolutely love to know more about is the monstrous brass bridge known as the claw. I've done my fair share of internet research and gathered a few things, but really I want to know if anyone else can give me their 2 cents on it. I can really only find text on it, pictures and other examples have been almost nonexistent. Does anyone else have one or maybe sold one years ago? I wish I could keep it, but being a full time guitarist and not a collector, I can't really justify it so I'm selling it. I've been taking it to a bunch of the local shops, more to mine them for info, and they've all given me a blank stare when they see it. Nobody knows what to make of it. It appears to be stock as well. Any help would be much appreciated. I'll be listing it soon in the classifieds section once I (hopefully) gather some more information about it too. Thanks all, and here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

sk8aman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
Tostitos
Got Mead?

The Claw (or Crescent bridge) was an aftermarket bridge sold as part of Fender's "Brass Works," a series of aftermarket upgrades when brass was the fad. IIRC there were some Precision Specials in the early 80's that had smaller brass bridges stock, but I'm pretty sure the Claw was aftermarket only.

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
roast
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostitos
The Claw (or Crescent bridge) was an aftermarket bridge sold as part of Fender's "Brass Works," a series of aftermarket upgrades when brass was the fad. IIRC there were some Precision Specials in the early 80's that had smaller brass bridges stock, but I'm pretty sure the Claw was aftermarket only.

+1
I recall a friend owning something similar a few years ago. Not sure if he still owns it, but I remember him saying that the Crescent was an aftermarket bridge which had been installed by the previous owner. Fairly rare bridges, I haven't seen one other than that.

OP, no harm firing an email to Fender with the serial number to get their opinion on it.

Nice purchase btw, very sleek bass.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
J&D 5-String
Hartke HA3500 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Custom-built maple Strat
J&D 7-String electric
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
sk8aman23
UG's Official Streaker

Excellent, thanks guys! Will be calling fender today.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
roast
UG Addict

Be sure to post back with an update either way, my curiosity is aroused!!

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
J&D 5-String
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Custom-built maple Strat
J&D 7-String electric
Yamaha F310
Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
sk8aman23
UG's Official Streaker

Alright! I didn't forget about you guys! FINALLY got around to getting a hold of fender and talked to Matt in customer relations. He told me that it was part of the "Brass Master" series which included upgrades for the bridge, knobs and nut. He confirmed that they were made by an outside manufacturer for Fender, but couldn't find out who. He said the series came out in '79-'80 and was short lived. He also couldn't confirm whether it is stock or not. He said it was possible that it is because of the dating, but since there's so little info about those kind of specifics, there's no real way to be sure. But at the end of the day, he said it's an absolute killer bass. Thank you all for your help and if anybody else has their 2 cents to add I would love to here it! BTW, it's still for sale...!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
roast
UG Addict

Thanks for the update!
Interesting to know, would love to get in touch with my friend and see if he has any more info.
I'm very tempted by the sale, alas I'd never be able to amass that kinda cash.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
J&D 5-String
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Custom-built maple Strat
J&D 7-String electric
Yamaha F310

Rate This Thread: