User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
Supersonic-95
UG Member

Why?

Why?
What is it about metal music that you like? I just can't get it. I find it cheezy and annoying. It's melodic and harmonic content is bobbins. And then it isn't just the music, it's the culture that goes with it - so not-cool. Then every time I hear metal "singing" I find it hard not to laugh a little, I mean, it sounds really comical, something you'ed find in a George Formby film. I mean The Stone Roses are so much better than megadeath. Maybe I'm missing something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGYlxK2C6NI

Last edited by Supersonic-95 : 01-21-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Supersonic-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
Enix165
He's such a psycho!~

I like cheesy! I like the more melodic stuff with the high-pitched vocals and guitar harmonies everywhere. I also totally dig the majesty of some of the stuff(Images and Words-era Dream Theatre, what sexy beasts), there's just a very high level of...fantastical artistry to some of it. Appeals to me more than the smoking-cigars-in-a-dingy-club-with-a-Les Paul-in-a-black-suit thingie. To each his own, however!
Enix165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #3
Hydra150
not so cowardly

When did they let you out of the FotB?
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:21 AM   #4
takachan

I guess musically we really like heavy fast riffing.
Melodic and shred solo virtuosity, however some forms of metal don't have much technical skills in solos or rhythm, but it still carries a certain character.

When it comes to classical or baroque music, metal musicians tend to be able to extract a lot more out of it than musicians from other genres.

In turn, I guess there's music for everyone in this world, not just metal.
takachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #5
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

It's broodle.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 AM   #6
BradIon1995

To each his own. Metal has a special cameraderie in it's own for one thing, look at Iron Maiden, Dio, and early era Queensryche for some singing, and for technicality it is rivalled only by classical. Then there's the diversity. There's Neo-Classical, Thrash, Death, Black, Nu, Progressive, Power, Stoner, Doom, Glam and many, many more genres that can be labelled as "Metal". Some bands to have a listen to are Judas Priest (NWOBHM), Iron Maiden (NWOBHM), Slayer (Thrash), Black Sabbath (Arguably the originators of the genre), Hammerfall (Power Metal), Burzum (Black Metal), Death (Death Metal), SlipKnot (Nu-Metal), Yngwie Malmsteen (Neo-Classical Metal), Motley Crue (Glam Metal), Tool (Progressive Metal), and Pantera (Groove Metal), to name a few.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #7
takachan

Metal!!!
takachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
LightxGrenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic-95
Why?
What is it about metal music that you like? I just can't get it. I find it cheezy and annoying. It's melodic and harmonic content is bobbins. And then it isn't just the music, it's the culture that goes with it - so not-cool. Then every time I hear metal "singing" I find it hard not to laugh a little, I mean, it sounds really comical, something you'ed find in a George Formby film. I mean The Stone Roses are so much better than megadeath. Maybe I'm missing something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGYlxK2C6NI

Not all metal is super face paced, harmony driven music with people screaming/growling or a singer hitting super high notes. Judging by the way you described metal I think you went into it with a certain amount of skepticism already in place and you were never truly receptive towards it. I think trying to compel you is probably a waste of time since you've seem to already have staked a claim on what kind of music you enjoy and what kind of music you find ridiculous.
I'd put it this way, you seem to find it all ludicrous the way some people find people who are connoisseurs of certain items to be ridiculous. I would never spend hundreds of dollars on a bottle of wine. I don't care how special and rare it is, how the flavor is one of a kind, or how it makes a statement of your wealth or some bs. To me it's just people spending tons of cash on ****ing fermented grapes. Some things are just not for everyone.
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)

Last edited by LightxGrenade : 01-21-2013 at 01:58 AM.
LightxGrenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:08 AM   #9
JimDawson
Storywriter, Guitar nerd.

I have always liked extremes in music- can't stand listening to really mellow stuff.
JimDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:39 AM   #10
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

4/10.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:45 AM   #11
6-String_Madman

Tim Larkin, is that you?
6-String_Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 AM   #12
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Preferences.

That's really all it is.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:22 AM   #13
PoisonousNipple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic-95
Maybe I'm missing something?

A life, brain & a set of balls.

PoisonousNipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #14
JimDawson
Storywriter, Guitar nerd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonousNipple
A life, brain & a set of balls.

That's a bit much, the guy is allowed to share his views. You're only adding credibility to one of his points by insulting the guy; comments like this only make metalheads look bad.

Actually, I think he has some good points. I can listen to bands like Slayer and get a good laugh out of the lyrics- God Hates Us All has a few comical moments off the top of my head (especially if you know a few things about the band). Yngwie Malmsteen has tons of over-the-top cheesey music. Cannibal Corpse's lyrical content is something I find hilarious as well...

I could go on for awhile, and all three of the examples I mentioned are from bands I listen to. Don't take it too seriously man.

This is punk rock, but if you want to listen to something just ****ing ludicrous check out some GG Allin. The album Dirty Love Songs is pretty funny, and believe it or not that guy was dead serious about it too. Needle up my ****, I Wanna Piss on You, Clit Licker, Blowjobs... the list goes on...

Last edited by JimDawson : 01-21-2013 at 03:50 AM.
JimDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:23 AM   #15
PoisonousNipple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDawson
That's a bit much, the guy is allowed to share his views. You're only adding credibility to one of his points by insulting the guy; comments like this only make metalheads look bad.

Actually, I think he has some good points. I can listen to bands like Slayer and get a good laugh out of the lyrics- God Hates Us All has a few comical moments off the top of my head (especially if you know a few things about the band). Yngwie Malmsteen has tons of over-the-top cheesey music. Cannibal Corpse's lyrical content is something I find hilarious as well...

I could go on for awhile, and all three of the examples I mentioned are from bands I listen to. Don't take it too seriously man.

This is punk rock, but if you want to listen to something just ****ing ludicrous check out some GG Allin. The album Dirty Love Songs is pretty funny, and believe it or not that guy was dead serious about it too. Needle up my ****, I Wanna Piss on You, Clit Licker, Blowjobs... the list goes on...

I thought he was obviously trolling

Also, GG was the most vile excuse for a human being to ever walk this planet.
PoisonousNipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #16
6-String_Madman

I got into some Thrash Metal (Big 4, Teutonic 4, Neo-Thrash, Progressive Thrash, Crossover) and some NWOBHM (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Diamond Head) mainly because of the "go against the rules" attitude of it - both socially and musically. Socially, because it gives you a certain freedom to express yourself without thinking about what most people have to say... and as BradIon1995 said, the technicality/musical competency of this genre could never be rivaled by any music that thrives in this era.

Quoting the great lyrics of Thrash Or Die in the song, "No Poser's Allowed", "If you think being here makes you look cool; Get out your pens and papers you're about to be schooled". Metal is NEVER about looking and being cool. It's about being yourself and not conforming to the trends.

Missing something... probably a keen sense of listening and not just hearing.

... and you did not spell MEGADETH correctly.
6-String_Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #17
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Cuz we like it and you don't... who frankly gives a fuq? This thread is asswaffles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #19
Supersonic-95
UG Member

But metal is melodically and rhythmically dull in comparison to The Stone Roses. And it's harmonically dull compared to The Beatles and John Coltrane. The music is full of negative energy. It's also miserable.

George Formby would teach you metal heads (what a daft name!) a think or two!

ALL METAL MUSIC IS BOBBINS!

Last edited by Supersonic-95 : 01-21-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Supersonic-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

You're an idiot.

Go away now please.

Also this is metal, it is both cheerful and melodically interesting, both your points are wrong:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: