Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
acolddayinhoth

I Need Some Advice

Hey everyone. As the title states, I need some advice.

Before I begin I'd like to tell you a tiny bit about my "set-up."

I'll start with my guitar. I have a Squier Showmaster rally stripe (more info on it here )

It's an old guitar, but it was my first. Given to me by a friend. One of its pots is going out and I get some serious signal breakage, especially on the bridge pickup.

However, this is not what I need advice on, just thought I would start there.

Rather, I need advice on my amplifier setup. Years ago, I purchased a Vox DA-10 modelling amp. (more info here )

However, just today, I was given the gift of a VHT Special 6 speaker cabinet. I didn't expect it, but now, I have had a slight problem trying to hook it up to the cabinet.

Now, the Vox has been dying and it'll likely be replaced by the Special 6 head, but until then, I'd like to hook it up to the cab and I was wondering if there was some way you'd recommend I do that, or if it should even be done at all.

So far I have been afraid to try it, thinking it would blow out the speakers on my new cab. Thought I would ask here first.

I am very impressed with the cab so far (even more so, since it was a gift) and I have been running it from my zoom G1N pedal (more info here ), but with that, the volume output isn't as high as I'd like.

So that's why I'd like to be able to hookup my amplifer to the cab, if possible.

At any rate, thanks so much for taking the time to read about my ordinary "set-up" and another thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Last edited by acolddayinhoth : 01-22-2013 at 02:34 AM.
acolddayinhoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

really impedence is what matters. if both match (8 ohms and 8 ohms) thy are compatible. but if the speaker isn't just hooked up you would remove the wires from that and wire the other speaker.

probably not worth it. it may sound better.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
acolddayinhoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
really impedence is what matters. if both match (8 ohms and 8 ohms) thy are compatible. but if the speaker isn't just hooked up you would remove the wires from that and wire the other speaker.

probably not worth it. it may sound better.

Thanks for your response. Doing some research, my Vox amp tops out at 8 ohms, while my VHT Special 6 is at 16 ohms.

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get both to play at the same.

I've tried multiple cables running from my Zoom to my vox to my spec 6, but the closest I get to playing both at the same time is disconnecting my guitar and running a cable from the vox to the cab and letting it hum.

I'm hoping a 1/4 splitter I just ordered will do the trick. if not, it seems I'll be getting the Special 6 head a lot sooner than expected.
acolddayinhoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: