Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
ambler3
yes b0ss?

6505+ 112 tube breakup levels

So, I have a 6505+ 60W combo (stock, no changed tubes or speaker) and I was just curious what levels the different tubes start to break up at. I know the amp starts to open up at around 10-11 o'clock volume and about the same gain.

Basically, when does it achieve preamp breakup and when do the power tubes get pushed hard enough to give that classic power tube breakup?
Yamaha RBX270

Peavey 6505+ 112

Read my blog! http://writingwithoutsubstance.blogspot.co.uk/

Listen to my music!https://soundcloud.com/rufus-ambler
ambler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

I don't really see how you couldn't just figure this out for yourself, nor how someone could give you a solid answer.
Pots are different, tubes are different...

To figure the thing out go on your clean channel and set the gain low so that you don't overdrive the pre, than turn up the master volume until you can hear distortion.
There you have found the power amp's breakup level.
Get the master volume back so the power amp don't distort anymore, and turn up your gain to a level at which you start hearing distortion.

I think the lead channel uses more tubes than the clean one, so repeat the last step with the lead channel and the gain starting at 0, though I think there's a fixed amount of gain added somewhere so that it distorts anyway, not really sure about this.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Robbgnarly

pre-amp gain is adjusted with the preamp volume no matter the volume of the amp. turn it up more gain turn it down, less gain

Power tube breakup is from running the power amp loud enough to hear it starting to break up. Set the amp as clean as you can then turn the master up until you hear it break up.

it is that easy
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
KailM

The amp is designed NOT to get power tube breakup. I have tried to get it on mine just for grins and I haven't been able to do it. My ears couldn't take it past a certain point. I believe I turned the clean channel up to 6 or 7 with the preamp gain as low as possible. It was EXTREMELY loud, yet still didn't get what I would consider power-tube breakup.

As far as preamp breakup, on the lead channel it starts right away. That's pretty much a distortion-only channel. Your best bet (if you want more of a classic rock sound) is to use the rhythm channel with the crunch engaged and very low preamp gain setting. It does a decent job of replicating more of a classic hard rock sound.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
ambler3
yes b0ss?

cheers for the replies, I partially just asked as I was curious what breakup I am achieving.

Rob, I was thinking that given the name of the dials..but I figured it's too easy though
Yamaha RBX270

Peavey 6505+ 112

Read my blog! http://writingwithoutsubstance.blogspot.co.uk/

Listen to my music!https://soundcloud.com/rufus-ambler
ambler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah preamp distortion will be at low volume levels with the pregain set high.

power tube distortion is slightly trickier- as they've been saying above, setting the preamp as clean as possible on the clean channel and then cranking the master way up is the thing, but the only problem is that doesn't guarantee you'll necessarily get any power tube distortion, because with the pregain control set really low you're likely giving the preamp (and by extension, the power amp) a cooler signal than you'd be giving the preamp of a non-master volume amp. so the power tubes might not be breaking up, even with the master on 10, if the pregain control is low enough.

another way is to turn the post gain/master volume full up and set the pregain (on the clean channel) to zero, and then use the pregain as a volume control. turn it up until you hear distortion. but again, there's no guarantee it'll be solely power tube distortion, especially if you have to turn it a fair bit up to get any breakup. I suppose if you wanted to check you could do what i said in the previous few sentences, and then turn the master way down again to maybe 1, and see if the sound is still breaking up. if it's not, you were probably hearing power tube distortion. if it's still distorted you were hearing preamp tube distortion.

lower output pickups will help you to hear power tube distortion, too, since higher output pickups can overdrive the preamp even on a clean channel. and the 6505's clean channel is less clean than most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-05-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i got power tube distortion on my 18w (added PPMV), everything all the way and it was deafening (literally) i had shotgun silencers on my ears and pulled them off for a minute and damn it was miserable. those suckers are loud.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:55 AM   #8
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

The bottom line is that with a 6505, power amp breakup is practically irrelevant.
Effects - TS9, MXR 10 Band EQ, Carbon Copy Delay
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #9
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo Bum
The bottom line is that with a 6505, power amp breakup is practically irrelevant.

power amp breakup wouldn't even really be desirable in a 5150 IMO.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i got power tube distortion on my 18w (added PPMV), everything all the way and it was deafening (literally) i had shotgun silencers on my ears and pulled them off for a minute and damn it was miserable. those suckers are loud.

yeah that's another kind of handy rule of thumb way to look at it If you're at anything less than uncomfortably loud volume levels (unless you're in like a massive auditorium or something, I guess), it's going to be preamp distortion. even 5 watters in a small enclosed space are very, very loud before they break up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-06-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

Maybe you could try running straight into the effects return. If you have some kind of pedal that can boost, you should be able to get it there. EL84s break up faster than 6L6s, but I have an EL84 amp and running straight into the effects return gives me power amp distortion.
Dan'o EQ: 9/10
Mooer Shimverb: 7/10
Digidelay: 8/10
Peavey Valveking 112 - Jensen MOD speaker: 8/10
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: