User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #61
Supersonic-95
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
Hey, how did that last thread end, anyway?

ITT: Ignore the troll and post your favorite metal songs about the (good or bad) future

You little whipper snapper! How you dare call me a troll.
Supersonic-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #62
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Hey, how did that last thread end, anyway?

ITT: Ignore the troll and post your favorite metal songs about the (good or bad) future

Turns out I don't have any... I seem to of been neglecting my metal collection for too long to have anything good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #63
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Quote:

woot this again.
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #64
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic-95
You little whipper snapper! How you dare call me a troll.

I looked through this guy's posts and I can safely say that he's a troll. Just ignore him from now on.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #65
Supersonic-95
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
I looked through this guy's posts and I can safely say that he's a troll. Just ignore him from now on.

You are the one with the bad reputation around here.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #66
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:

Actually, Morph has a pretty great rep, I'd say. He's rather even keeled, from what I've seen. Also, I can say he educated me on what Deathcore and Metalcore (aka "Metallic Hardcore" [not the shitty Nu-Metalcore]) truly are.

OT:

One of my favorite Melodic Death Metal songs.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 01-22-2013 at 11:25 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #67
technicolour
Banned

and a bunch of Nokturnus songs.
technicolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #68
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:

I can be scatterbrained at times and post without thinking in threads sometimes, but I wouldn't say I have a bad reputation.

And why thank you, Sam. You like Arch Enemy? I've never gotten to anything by them except the album Stigmata, if you haven't heard it yet you should check it out.

Arch Enemy - Stigmata
show

God, I love the flutter on the guitar in that song.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:09 AM   #69
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
I can be scatterbrained at times and post without thinking in threads sometimes, but I wouldn't say I have a bad reputation.

And why thank you, Sam.

You're welcome.

Quote:
You like Arch Enemy? I've never gotten to anything by them except the album Stigmata, if you haven't heard it yet you should check it out.

Arch Enemy - Stigmata
show

God, I love the flutter on the guitar in that song.

I'm listening to this now; I'm going to buy this album when I can. Damn, the delay and wah on the leads are beautiful.

And I see what you mean about the flutter. Good shit!

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #70
helltothee
Idiot

What about Cauldron or Baroness? Not particularly new-school, I guess, but very good, and modern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryingNemo
I saw Satan one day
He looked kinda gay
The bible hates gays
So Satan I shall slay
Amen.
helltothee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #71
Supersonic-95
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Actually, Morph has a pretty great rep, I'd say. He's rather even keeled, from what I've seen. Also, I can say he educated me on what Deathcore and Metalcore (aka "Metallic Hardcore" [not the shitty Nu-Metalcore]) truly are.

OT:

One of my favorite Melodic Death Metal songs.

Soft petal, from now on. Keep your silly daft gob shut. Nobody cares about what you say. You're a crap guitarist and that's the end of that.

Last edited by Supersonic-95 : 01-23-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #72
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Soft petal, from now on. Keep your silly daft gob shut. Nobody cares about what you say. You're a crap guitarist and that's the end of that.

Now you're just flaming people.

Quote:
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #73
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:

I guess you would know...

Bandcamp

Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #74
Haytham
This Haytham person

You ain't nothin' but a soft petal
Cryin' all the time
Reduces it to none.
Haytham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #75
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
I would argue that most of the modern "prog" metal bands don't focus on composition at all which is why most of them suck.

I would agree that most of them do not. But I also would state, personally, if a band doesn't focus on composition to some degree (and Avante-Garde influenced bands like UneXpect and BTBAM I would say still do focus on composition, even if it's oddly done in their cases), then I won't listen to them.

There's no reason why a band that just throws around polyrhythms would be something interesting to me, which is what a lot of supposedly "prog" metal bands do. To me, good composition is interesting use of rhythm and melody, to create a harmonic whole which is aesthetically interesting. That's why I'm equally okay with listening to Bach, as I am with listening to Periphery. I find that, for me, both fit that definition, although (obviously) in vastly different ways.

Not comparing Bach and Periphery, btw. They're completely different and comparing them would be silly and unproductive. Merely saying, I enjoy listening to both because I like their composition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve08
As a result of this, the time has come to stop writing by ear and "shooting in the dark", so to speak, because ALL the aesthetic innovations in metal have already occurred... however, the transition from Metal music to being, more or less, violent, modern Classical has only been hinted at, something which I aim to propagate myself, one day.

Wait, wait, wait...

1st off, even if you dislike it, Djent happened just what? 4 years ago? (And, yes, I agree that 90% of Djent bands and modern Progressive bands suck. Though, that other 10% are absolutely worth it.) Various examples of extreme metal also have pushed the boundaries of "defined Metal". You can be as elitist as you like, but acting like nothing new has happened in 25 years is just wrong, from a factual standpoint.

2nd off, just because "ALL the aesthetic innovations in metal have already occurred" (a statement which I don't totally agree with, btw), Metal musicians should stop trying to do unique and interesting things with Metal music? That's like saying, "Because all food has been invented, you shouldn't come up with new recipes anymore". I mean, really...if everyone took this attitude in music, music would just get boring as shit.
Not only that, but you're acting like subtle changes are irrelevant.

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 01-24-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #76
technicolour
Banned

Well, myself, and many others would disagree that the 10% of good djent bands are worth it, and furthermore those 10% aren't very interesting either. As far as I've heard the general framework of djent is odd time chugging with sweeps over top.

I don't think Steve is implying that nothing new has happened in metal, however, many of these so called progressions labelled by others aren't real progression, eg: adding a banjo to a metal song. That's not actually changing anything significant. Real progression like I already said seems (to me anyways) to be much more subtle, again just gonna use Antediluvian as an example cause they're the first band that springs to mind. Metal musicians shouldn't be focused on just slapping different styles of contemporary music together, so much as focus on song form or flow.

Last edited by technicolour : 01-24-2013 at 01:40 PM.
technicolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #77
eazy-c
Angus McHighlands

The metal community at large is incredibly conservative (and pretty stupid, let's not kid ourselves), so it's hardly surpising that the music develops at a relatively slow pace, or else more radical developments are shunned as 'not-metal!'. I still think there's still plenty of room for genre crossovers to occur, I'd love to see more stuff in vein of Bongripper, and as much as some of you guys might moan about it being 'hipster', post-metal has still got planty to offer, the latest Neurosis album was incredible. There's also the whole black metal/post-punk/shoegaze thing going on, but again, it's derided for being 'hipster'. There's plenty of bands in those scenes with good songwriting abilities grounded in traditional metal styles but combined with a fresh aesthetic approach (such as SubRosa who Morpho posted earlier on). These are the sort of metal bands that the wider musical community raves about but so many metalheads instantly dismiss because there's clean female vocals and no zombies on the artwork.

Also, Steve, lay off the Kant and try a wee bit of Confuscious or something. The 18th century is not the be all and end all of intelligence.
eazy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #78
Steve08

Quote:
Wait, wait, wait...

1st off, even if you dislike it, Djent happened just what? 4 years ago?
It's existed in one form or another for about 10 years, and in that time... has only gotten more derivative and inundated with clone bands.
Quote:
Various examples of extreme metal also have pushed the boundaries of "defined Metal".
Yes, but this has not happened in quite some time now. The time has come to look inward rather than outward.
Quote:
You can be as elitist as you like, but acting like nothing new has happened in 25 years is just wrong, from a factual standpoint.
Well, in terms of any new, legitimate Metal subgenres being created, uh, that is literally true-- the last emergence of a major style, as I stated previously, would be Black Metal, which came around at the end of the 80s. However, it's not so much that there are not modern bands which serve to progress Metal, but rather, that these select few worthy, new bands are drowning amidst a sea of over-saturation, because kids who pick up instruments these days do not look to the past, just the present, and consequently, are merely reiterating styles rather than trying to actively mine the artistic/musical potential within those styles, something which has only been touched upon by alpha-tier Metal bands for the most part.
Quote:
2nd off, just because "ALL the aesthetic innovations in metal have already occurred" (a statement which I don't totally agree with, btw), Metal musicians should stop trying to do unique and interesting things with Metal music?
No, I don't think that at all; but writing/perceiving music only at the aesthetic level is not the way to achieve that. Advocating the incorporation of Classical ideals in Metal on a massive scale is the way to achieve that. It's no longer possible to "out-do" other bands merely by introducing aesthetic unfamiliarity.
Quote:
Not only that, but you're acting like subtle changes are irrelevant.
If it's just a matter of production/note choice/vocals/instrumentation being modified, then that is aesthetic "change", not musical "progression". Musical progression occurs when you re-evaluate the goals of your music, or alternatively, how your music achieves those goals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy-c
Also, Steve, lay off the Kant and try a wee bit of Confuscious or something. The 18th century is not the be all and end all of intelligence.
Never read Kant, but I will freely admit that I've only had an interest in philosophy and other vaguely related matters for maybe six months now, if that, so my ideas are not as informed or developed as they could be.

Carlos Gracie Sr. -> Carlos Gracie Jr. -> Roberto Maia -> John Connors -> me

Last edited by Steve08 : 01-24-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #79
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Advocating the incorporation of Classical ideals in Metal on a massive scale is the way to achieve that.

And this is where your argument falls apart. How is this anything but your opinion on how metal should work? This is purely your subjective opinion.

You can back it up with as much as you like, it's still only an opinion, not a fact. You should really stop treating it as such.

Quote:
Old 01-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #80
eazy-c
Angus McHighlands

Quote:
Never read Kant, but I will freely admit that I've only had an interest in philosophy and other vaguely related matters for maybe six months now, if that, so my ideas are not as informed or developed as they could be.

I just think you could do with realizing that the world does not adhere to strict logical doctrines, the rigid 18th-century approach you're taking to critical analysis of an art form completely misses the point of why we listen to and enjoy music in the first place, a base reaction based upon something sounding pleasant to our ears. You can theorise about how Gorguts incorporate inverted retrograde disharmonic development or whatever as much as you want, that doesn't change the fact most people (quite rightly) are just looking for good riffs.

You can look for whatever technicalities you want in music, but to assume that anyone else will give a fuck about what you look for in music without giving their view at least some respect is simply arrogant. The way you conduct yourself on this forum can be borderline autistic with how little consideration you have for the validity of others opinions, and whilst I realise that you probably just see yourself as being a crusader for true metal justice or whatever, there's no way you're ever going to properly engage someone without attempting to reach some sort of compromise, all it leads to is two people talking at each other, instead of to each other.

But then again, I used to be exactly like that so you'll probably grow out of it once you start getting your hole on a regular basis.

Last edited by eazy-c : 01-24-2013 at 02:57 PM.
eazy-c is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: